outkast

Free Member
Jan 7, 2014
potters bar
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
We have been looking at joining a club, either the caravan club or the caravan and camping club, reading through some of the posts on here and elsewhere it seems the caravan club may be the bit more elitist of the two, as we own a converted van wich it would proberly be best to say was not Mercedes most pretty design I am worried we may be turned away from some sites as we "don't fit in".

I was looking at breakdown cover the other day and noticed that with cover from the RAC you get automatic membership of the camping and caravan club.

could anyone give me a brief list of the pros and cons of each club please and if you were a first timer wich way would your membership swing.

Thanks, Dave

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
I think pro's and con's are down to the individual....we are with the C & CC....we were with both at one time but dropped the CC due to their pricing...but C & CC have just altered their pricing for this year and we will have to wait and see...

We do find the staff very friendly with the C & CC, always helpful...means a lot to us personally..

OP
OP
outkast

outkast

Free Member
Jan 7, 2014
potters bar
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Thanks Derek, staff being helpful is something we would prefer being new to all this as we are bound to make a few mistakes on our learning curve.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
We have been looking at joining a club, either the caravan club or the caravan and camping club, reading through some of the posts on here and elsewhere it seems the caravan club may be the bit more elitist of the two, as we own a converted van wich it would proberly be best to say was not Mercedes most pretty design I am worried we may be turned away from some sites as we "don't fit in".

I was looking at breakdown cover the other day and noticed that with cover from the RAC you get automatic membership of the camping and caravan club.

could anyone give me a brief list of the pros and cons of each club please and if you were a first timer wich way would your membership swing.

Thanks, Dave
We've been with both but dropped C&CC because we found their website more difficult to navigate when searching for the small 5 Van sites and also found their smaller sites to be generally more expensive.
Don't worry about "Elitism" with the CC.
It all depends where you choose to stay and the attitude of the Site Owner / Operator but I've nearly always found them to be very helpful and accommodating.
I can't tell you anything about attitudes at rallies or get-togethers as we never attend any, sorry.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We have been with CC / CCC /. MCC. For years but this year we have dropped the CC for two reasons first you have to pre book on ant rally's and on the CCC you can just turn up.

The second and the one that tipped it, we were touring Scotland, quite remote parts and stopped of at a CC site to stay the night, unfortunately they were full, no problems we had not booked so we quite accepted that, we decided we would wild camp but we were quite low on water, so asked if we could have a small amount to put us on.

Imagine our amazement when we were told sorry no we can not let you have any water. We said pardon, we are willing to pay for it just need some water, no company policy we can not let you have any water.

We were so shocked we got in touch with the HO and after 3 weeks because that is how long it takes to answer a query we were told no on company rules.
Now we have just come back from touring Morocco and were never ever has any one not gone out of their way to give us water.

So for us it was a no brainier which one to drop and it was the CC.

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Both clubs have some very goods sites, especially in terms of facilities. A week or so ago we stayed at the CC site at Broadway and then the next night at the C&CC site at Tervesal near Nottingham. Both were spotlessly clean and within walking distance of pubs. Hard to fault either.

We have also booked ferries through the CC and they were cheaper than if we had done it directly (about 10% off IIRC). I am not sure if C&CC do the same. I've also just bought the ACSI book and card through the CC and it came in 2 days and cost £13.50, the same as Vicarious sell it.

As to the "snob" value I haven't really noticed it. MHs tend to be in the minority on all the sites we have been to and I have seen some pretty tatty caravans. The CC Warden at the Baltic Wharf site in Bristol has some unique views on how MHs should be parked on his pitches which is not in accordance with CC policy but he seems to do his own thing. It has caused one person I know not to renew their CC membership, which is a bit extreme, I am sure you can find jobsworths anywhere.

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Have been in the C@CC for twenty five years, and have always found the sites and the wardens very good, facilities are excellent, but not happy with their pricing structure this year, not only complicated, it has so many issues with it, eg. paying £1 per night extra for hard standing, some sites only have hard standing, do not know until you get to checkout how much it is going to cost, also depends how popular a site is depends on the price paid, rip off comes to mind, so today have joined the CC, so will give it a year to see how it goes, saying that also staying with the C@CC for the moment as I have the RAC cover,.

You don`t get automatic membership of C@CC as far as I know, when joining the RAC, if you are a member of the C@CC then you get a special deal on the RAC which I can highly recommend.

Margaret

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We are in ccc and we have got used to it now, but don't think we would join again if we left , if you look at uk campsites website there are loads of camps including cc and ccc, and you can go to most without joining either club, where ccc does score is the meets they have , which you do have to be a member to go on, and we really like these, usually nothing but a tap and hole to tip your waste but that is all we need, and friendly like minded people there.
But the actual ccc campsites are nothing but a complete ripoff if you don't need facilities .

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We are CCC.. We like them... Most sites are great.. Not sure of their new pricing structure yet.. I don't have any problems with their website tbh.. And if you're a member you can get a great app for your Android or iPhone..

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I'm a member of both. I mainly use their sites from late autumn to early spring - as I like to be snugly on hook-up then, running space & water heating on electric at no extra cost. By a happy chance this is when their site prices are at their lowest (apart from the HypeFest fortnight :RollEyes:). As a solo motorhomer, I like the fact that they charge per person as I can park up with all facilities for less than £10 a night. :Smile:

The CC has midweek discount at some of its sites during off-peak times, their website is very easy to use and you can cancel at 3 days notice with no penalty. Their sites generally (but not always) have more and better facilities than C&CC sites.

The C&CC website is clunky and horrible, plus you have to pay a deposit when you book which from this year you lose unless you give 30 days notice (used to be 7 days). Helluva lot can crop up in 30 days! :Angry: They also charge an extra £1 a night for hardstanding. They offer Age Concession rates which used to kick in at 55 but now not until 60. An advantage with the C&CC is that you can generally opt for a grass pitch (as long as the ground is firm enough) without electric - which is usually my preference from April onwards as I have solar and don't want to pay for hook-up. With the CC you are generally obliged to pay for electric whether you want it or not.

I have met lovely wardens on both sets of sites - and also the odd jobsworth to$$pot warden on both sets of sites. I avoid Club sites in the summer months (other than the odd foray to indulge in a laundry frenzy) because a) they are too expensive and b) they are full of children. This is where the C&CC comes into its own because I use its Temporary Holiday Sites (THSs) - when I'm not at Funster rallies of course. :winky:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Horses for courses..
CC is ( all joking aside ) very biased towards caravans.
I find ( found ) the sites overly expensive
I found the site wardens extremely unhelpful, often more concerned with petty rules*
And finally was told they did not want members like us as we complained too much ( this was concerning the fact I was getting 10+ spam emails DAILY from them and I just wanted them to stop.. Apparently it was not their fault but mine !!!!!!!!!

Year before last we booked in to Brighton as guests of my son ( who has also kicked them in to touch ).

To start with, even though the pitches were booked, we was told no room.. Then after it kicked off they said ohhh.. park anywhere there are white markers

So we found a couple of pitches.
One of the wardens supervised.
He stood there watching with his arms crossed
He moved Darrell a couple of feet over AFTER he had switched off and got out of the cab,, Too rude and nasty to say move over a bit beforehand

After we got all set up ( awning out, safari rooms up ) another brown shirt came over and said one of us had to move as we were too close to each other.
I explained ( still smiling though god knows how ) that the other chap had placed us here and confirmed we were ok.

Dont care SIR ( jeeez, dont you just love when a jumped up snot becomes condescending ) either move or leave.

And after that folks.. is it any wonder I recomend C & CC who have shown us nothing but top notch friendly and helpful service on some very well priced pitches and sites around the UK :thumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We're only members of the CC, but have been thinking about joining the CCC as well. The CC sites are always good, but some of the wardens can be little Hitlers in disguise and it is not the first time I've had a "run-in" with some wardens (always a female) when checking in.......Castleton and Chatsworth spring to mind. They can be patronising, forget who the customer is and who pays their wages:Angry:

We were at a CC last summer and were just checking in when this very old motorhome drove in with steam coming out of the bonnet, they also had a problem with one of their tyres. The elderly man got out and looked at the tyre and asked the warden if they could stay the night although they weren't members of the CC. The warden said they couldn't stay if they weren't members and appeared to want the van off the site as quickly as possible........we were quite shocked that he could be so rude to someone like that as they needed help and a place for the night.

At some CC sites now when you check-in it's a bit like the Gestapo.......all they need are high leather boots/walking stick and they're there:ROFLMAO:

"You can park here, but you can't park there, reverse onto the pitch, you must have the white marker on your right" etc etc.....or is it the left:RollEyes: Woe betide anyone who doesn't! "Once you've chosen a pitch, come back down and tell me which pitch you are on". The list of instructions gets longer each time.....and always ends with a couple of "flourishes" of the bright orange marker pen::bigsmile: I'm always ready for a glass of the red stuff by that time..........

On a brighter note, we spent the last 2 weeks at a super little CL south of Edinburgh, with no problems, great owners and instructions at all:thumb:

Margaret

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Join both for a year and try then make your choice. We have been members of both for many years, enjoy the C & CC motorhome section the rallies are very friendly places to be and we've had some great times with them. :Smile:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We find both clubs have their pros and cons, so we are members of both, have been for well over 20 years.

Rgds
Bill

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,

Maz, You posted,

The C&CC website is clunky and horrible, plus you have to pay a deposit when you book which from this year you lose unless you give 30 days notice (used to be 7 days). Helluva lot can crop up in 30 days! They also charge an extra £1 a night for hardstanding. They offer Age Concession rates which used to kick in at 55 but now not until 60. An advantage with the C&CC is that you can generally opt for a grass pitch (as long as the ground is firm enough) without electric - which is usually my preference from April onwards as I have solar and don't want to pay for hook-up. With the CC you are generally obliged to pay for electric whether you want it or not.

All of the above is very true,
However can I point out to fellow Funsters, especially those who are 55yrs old but haven't got their Age related Discount yet,(perhaps you achieved that birthday over the winter).

If you present your membership card (C & CC) at one of their sites along with proof of age BEFORE 1st July this year, they will stamp your card and you will be able to get the discount ie you will have got in under the wire.:thumb:

Sep 8, 2010
Kent the white cliffs end
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur Lvx 8
Exp
Not long enough
I am with both because it depends on where you want to go really , but do find c&cc a little more friendly :thumb:l

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back