CBE CSB-2 split charger-Do leisure and starter Battery types need to be the same?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Plinky, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Plinky

Plinky Funster

Hi,

I'm wanting to fit a CBE CSB-2 split charger-

I was wondering if the Battery type of both starter and leisure battery need to be the same?

I have to select 'Gel' on my mppt controller for my leisure battery's (25a MPPSolar PCM 3012), but I'm assuming that since the charge to the starter battery is coming from the leisure battery itself and not through the solar system, it is unimportant?

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  2. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

The device should work with the combination of Gel leisure battery and lead acid starter battery. The following description of operation is copied from the manufacturers leaflet:

When the leisure battery voltage exceeds 13.6 V (with battery charger and solar panels) the device allows to recharge the car battery (through the leisure battery).
    Charging current is set from 0.1 to max 4 A, according to the battery conditions.
    When the leisure battery voltage is lower than 12.5 V the car battery recharging system is deactivated.
    When the green led is on, the device CSB-2 is ready recharge the car battery, if necessary.

3. Plinky

Plinky Funster

Thanks Chris, thats how I am interpreting it too.

4. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

The charge transfer is too small to be relevant to battery types (y)

5. Plinky

Plinky Funster

Perfect, thanks Andy.

6. rogher

rogher Funster

Battery types do not need to be the same (you wouldn’t have Gel for a starter anyway) as the charge is only a trickle. Under normal circumstances your alternator should take care of the engine battery’s requirements. I think these split chargers were designed to look after an engine battery during a long period of absence, to prevent it being drawn down by alarm/tracking systems that may be present. The CBE unit will rely on EHU or Solar charging, whereas others may take it from the habitation bank if it remains healthy enough.

7. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

I have one in by van and the hab batteries are Gel works fine.