Caxton FX Mastercard - no SMS

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by JackieP, Aug 4, 2015.

1. JackieP

JackieP Funster

Evening all.

So, after Caxton FX change their visa debit card to mastercard and, after it taking me what feels like a week on the phone to get a new card I now find that all the SMS services have been withdrawn and although 'it's our number one priority' said the young lady I spoke to, it has apparently been their number one priority since April with no sign of the SMS being reinstated.

She suggested using my mobile to ring them to credit the card but, hanging on for half an hour waiting to speak to a human will soon run my credit down and I won't always have internet access to load, check balances etc.

If you're using the new card how best do you manage it?

2. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

we use a weswop card good rates and totally online

• Like Like x 1
  3. rrusty

rrusty Funster

I had problems when in Spain a few weeks ago when it changed from Visa to MasterCard, but I eventually got it all sorted and do everything on the internet, just how I done it with Visa.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Never had/used the SMS. I just remember what's on it and what I withdraw. When the numbers are similar I use a different card.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

Hi Jackie,

We use Caxton and use the web to load, check balances etc.

I understand that web access isn't always available, but using the iPhone app it's not too bad. If we think we're out of web contact we ensure that it's loaded before.

I think you can also set up an automatic trigger to load the card when it gets to a preset figure (we haven't tried that though)

• Like Like x 1
  6. chaser

chaser Funster

We have mytravelcash card but it seems they are not issueing any new cards , don't know what is going on

• Like Like x 1
  7. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

It's a nuisance as we always used the SMS facility to load, check the balance etc, rather than ring or use the internet. On our holiday earlier this year we tried to 'empty' the FairFX card by spending the balance in shops etc due to them now charging to use it at cash machines and also charging for SMS top-ups.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

You got me worried about that but in their Web page it says.
    *Caxton FX does not charge a fee for overseas ATM withdrawals. When you use an ATM overseas, the ATM owner may charge you a fee. This is not Caxton FX charging you, it's the ATM owner.
    I find Caxton easy to top up. I use their app but you do need Internet. I rarely topped up by sms when they had the facility.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JackieP

JackieP Funster

Argh. I try to avoid the internet when I"m away. I used to spend some time once a week to upload the blog and that was it. I was rather hoping this time to avoid it completely. What a pain. I loved how easy the SMS was to check balance, load and transfer.

Apparently, because the new MasterCard crossing 12 different currencies, caxton are having some difficulties getting the load facility to work by SMS.

With only two and a half weeks to go till liftoff I'd be unlikely to get an alternative card.

Thanks to all for your replies. I will download the app and take a look at it and will investigate the automatic topups.

And Minxiegirl, no charge to use Caxton.

10. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

SMS hadn't occurred to me since the change but I just tried online and my macbook auto logs me in all very quick & slick
    I have Ukash travel money card too and they are normally a better rate BUT not just now, in fact their live rate system is not working at all just now due to upgrades.
    So Caxton will give you €700 for £500 today 1.4014 (y)

EDIT
    I use notes on my iPhone to keep track of my balance and spending along with my card details/passwords etc

11. autoswan

autoswan Funster

Fair fx money card , no probs checking and topping up so far rate hovering around 1.40 euro . Not sure about withdrawals at cash point charges though as I need some cash soon I think.

I have apost office card from last year as back up but won't use it unless needed coz I think their exchange rate is lower ?

Used we swop online to order cash before trip best rate I could find may get their card for next trip.

12. JackieP

JackieP Funster

And can you use SMS with that card autoswan?

13. autoswan

autoswan Funster

Not entirely sure what sms is but I can read messages off fx and check statement as I go ?

14. JackieP

JackieP Funster

Can you load by text?

(SMS stands for short message system - text)

15. autoswan

autoswan Funster

Oops course it does ,brain fart :confused:
    Yes I can top up by text it's loaded in my phone but I've not needed to use that yet coz always had wifi for laptop available and top up from that well before funds run to low.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ukbill

ukbill Funster

just phoned caxton and they assured me no problems with the visa card but they will issue a mastercard on renewal

• Like Like x 2
  17. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Is mastercard as popular in Europe as Visa. Anyone know why they are changing from one to other ?

18. JackieP

JackieP Funster

The answer I got this morning at the end of my 55 minute phone call was that the visa cards only worked with single currency - i.e. euros for the Europe card and dollars for the global. Now they offer 12 different currencies and need to use a credit based card hence the change to MasterCard.

I'm going to take a look at the FairFX. Thanks for the suggestion.

19. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Yes it seems I can switch my Euros to Dollars in an instant. Could be handy for some.

20. JackieP

JackieP Funster

Just seen that there's a charge of 1.50 for every withdrawal from ATM with FairFX. Caxton make no charge.

I'm having awful bother with this. It appears my new debit card has my house name in the address but both Caxton and FairFX will only issue a new card if the address is the same one that is brought up on the postcode search, Can't get to the bank until Friday and it takes 10 working days for Fair FX card to arrive. I've got exactly 10 working days until I leave.

It's going to be close.