Catalytic converter Thiefs!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by deisel doctor, Jan 13, 2013.

1. deisel doctor

deisel doctor Read Only Funster

Yes they are in our area again,a van just 500 yards down the road got done wednesday night right outside there house.
    I did give my insurance company a ring (comfort avviva) and they said i am covered if its parked on my drive Mmmm.
    Iwas thinking of getting some extra sucurity like one of those cages to enclose the cat, wondering if any one else has one.
    If we survive till 22 feb the police are doing for free that invisble marking at the local truck east garage, is this any good or is it only good to track it when it has been nicked.

2. Gosport Tim

Gosport Tim Funster

We were done on our first van 2 years ago, did not realise until I had loaded the van for the weekend, started her up and she sounded kinda 'meaty' so looked under the van and could not believe that someone had the cheek to do this outside our house! Anyway although it was covered by the insurance (it cost a £1000 to replace) the real damage was when I was sent my quote from the C&CC which had gone from £400 to £1500!! Eventually managed to get it for £700. How I wish I could have caught them in the act!!!!

3. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

think that wont help as thay just melt down the metal i think and most of the scrap dealers are bent:Sad: .
    so if it go's kiss it good bye the best thing is CCTV on your van and let it be known you are monitoring with CCTV.

it will work out cheaper than a cat and good alarm with movement sensor on the van CCTV douse stop the opportunist thief but nothing will stop a pike or knacker except maybe a Axe through the head but i do not condone violence in any way he he

• Like Like x 4
  4. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

We still remove all the cats on the vans on open forecourt, what annoys me is that the plod dont raid all the scrap metal dealers on na regular basis because that is where they end up.

Anyone buying brand new cats must know they have been stolen, but our local plod like to lurk in the laybye to nick motorists instead

Peter

• Like Like x 12
  5. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

My neighbour's warehouse has been raided twice recently. He has CCTV all over the place. These guys have hoodys on and you can't identify them at all as I'm sure these guys would have.

6. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

It must be the sheltered life I have, could somebody tell me, how much are these "Cats" worth as scrap because they seem to go to some trouble to get them.

7. Gosport Tim

Gosport Tim Funster

Apparently they would rather have used cats than new ones as the end 'buyer' can extract the precious metals more easily, a police friend of mine rekons that the thiefs get £50 for a £1000 cat plus all the heart ache it causes. Ours was removed with a pipe cutter and I suppose the only bonus was that the exhaust was not damaged as well. They are mostly destined for china and the 'dodgy' scrap dealers send them by the container load. big buisness.:Sad:

8. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

thay are scared of the pike's and the knackers and now that it is harder to get rid of copper thay go back to their old ways more vigilance and security
    and maybe baseball bat but i renounce Vigilance in any way shape or form he he

• Like Like x 2
  9. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

Retalliate first. Remove your cat, and fit a replacement exhaust section, at MOT time swap back. This will cost you a couple of quid, but not as much as a new cat, increased insurance cost's, and possiby a delayed or cancelled trip.

Plod and the Govt KNOW who the main miscreants are, but are powerless to stop them, they also, have not taken enough action against the buyers, so my concience would be clear, if they cant protect me, I'll protect myself.:thumb:

10. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

now there you go fantastic idea but isn't it a modification will it not affect performance fuel economy i don't know but still cheaper than a new cat:thumb:

11. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-DUCA...ar+Make:Fiat|Model:Ducato&hash=item19b317d560
    It wont affect anything, I regularly removed the EGR set up on motors, only better performance. HOWEVER, it is illegal to remove a cat and run without it, you need to balance that, against YOUR attitude to the potential theft, the cost of trying to prevent it by other means...and you chnaces of getting caught. I beleive, my chances of getting caught, would be the same as the theif who stole my cat, so its a no brainer really. Its a totally personal decision, but if it aint there, they can't nick it!

• Like Like x 5
  12. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I like that attitude.

I share it which is why I won't buy those stupid breath test kits for France.

If I get caught I will pay the €11 fine with pleasure.

• Like Like x 3
  13. busby

busby Funster

My van is to old to have one. BUSBY.

14. cudleydudley

cudleydudley Read Only Funster

i have a CATCAGE

i bought a new motorhome 1st mar 2012. £40000.00 on the road, i live in cheshunt herts, and we have more gipo,s than enough around here, so on looking through mag's and talking to a "old copper" who said if "they want it they will have it, but make them work for it, and most times they leave it alone" so i decided on a CATCAGE, this puts a CAGE of special steel wire around the CAT and BOX, which is all fixed to the chassis with a 1 off lock.
    it took 1 man with 2 helpers in a garage near a hour to fit [i was watching] at the end they had to cut off about 2 foot of this wire, after trying with those jaw cutters [like firemen use] and a angle grinder, they had to use the acetylene flame to cut it of, and it was banging like a fireworks show with sparks going everwhere. no gipo is going to lay on the floor with this danger and noise.
    i also got 5o/o of the insurance, result one happy funster.:thumb::Rofl1:
    george

• Like Like x 2
  15. olley

olley Funster

Don't you believe it, they regularly cut live cables on the railways with nothing more than rubber gloves and bolt cutters.

Ian

• Like Like x 1
  16. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

There were 15 taken in one night 2 months ago around villages near here.
    I blame the yards for taking it--they ought to record who brings it in with a car reg number,pay cheque only,photo ID.
    It ought to be damn obvious when nicked gear is brought in to these yards where it came from, but still the scrap dealers take it--maybe they are just as bad.

• Like Like x 3
  17. bill harris

bill harris Read Only Funster

Cat clamp

Hi two years ago they stole my cat cost me nearly a £1000.00 pound didn't claim. I bought a cat clamp whic has two stainless steel plates that clamp on either side of the cat. Then a stainless steel wire rope is threaded back and forth through holes in the plates and around the chasies this produces a cage around the cat. I have been very impressed with this.
    I wish I had fitted it from new.
    This would defiantly stop the opportunist
    Bill Harris

18. Fireman Sam

Fireman Sam Funster

Bill
    Are these easy for a lay funster to fit? I'm quite keen to protect my CAT but also as keen to save any unnecessary expense in having it fitted professionally.

Mike

19. rangitira

rangitira Funster

One of the Scrappies down here demands a photo I D, and makes you remove hat and or hood and look full on into the cctv camera.

It's an ongoing problem here with jokers raiding the Clay pits for the thick copper cables.

• Like Like x 2
  20. bill harris

bill harris Read Only Funster

Cat clamp

Hi Mike.
    I fitted the cat clamp my self on my Fiat X250 2008 model it requires no special tools to fit and took me a couple of hours top wack. I did not even jack it up laid a blanket underneath and slid under for additional light used my night fishing head torch. If you need any more help let me know.
    Bill Harris