cat 1 alarm

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by camocam1, Jul 10, 2014.

1. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

Insurers are telling me that I need to fit a cat1 alarm to the MH I'm looking at buying bailey approach 760se how do I find out if one has been fitted as dealer has no idea and if not fitted can anyone tell me how much it is likely to cost ??? know of anyone in Scotland that can fit it

thanks Ron

2. Inthezone

Inthezone Read Only Funster

Cat one alarms can cost from about £500 and can go upto £1000 depending what you have done, external/ internal zones, all lockers protected, Etc eddie van bitz do a system called strikeback and growler very popular amongst MH all the best one arre based on the meto system i beleive, I am not an expert but I am sure like buses five or six will turn up soon :D:rofl::rofl:

3. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

I should think the standard alarm fitted by the dealer is Cat 2. Why don't you phone or email Bailey and ask. I've ordered spares direct and they usually respond to emails by next day.

4. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Cat 1 is the alarm which won't be fitted by the dealer. Cat 2 is the immobiliser which will almost certainly be fitted to the base vehicle by the manufacturer if it's a new/newish van.
    The Strikeback from Vanbitz is great and Taunton is a nice place to visit at this time of year (y)

5. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

I had to have one fitted when i bought the van 6 years ago. They fitted a laseline, now i think the fitter was a numpty but it is crap!!!
    I will be visiting Eddie when I am in UK in May next year to have it removed and a Strikeback fitted!

6. Terry

Terry Funster

Get a Clifford Viper alarm immobilizer --you can get mobile fitters and they are only around £250 fitted --google Viper car alarm ;)
    terry

7. camocam1

thanks for the replies will look into it a bit further but really cant see why they wont insure the MH without it, obviously the other owner had it insured may have to shop around for insurance also

8. camocam1

ps forgot to say not may if any fitters in the north of Scotland and insurers only giving me 28 days to get one fitted if I buy the MH which does not have cat 1 fitted

9. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

See if there are any stickers declaring what it is.. See if there is a name on the control box and maybe a model number ..
    I recently had a Cat 1 full system fitted for £240.. Took the poor sod a LONG time because of the silly

10. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

My MH already had a Cat1 alarm fitted, but if it hadn't I would certainly go for strikeback. Funster discount too.

Just noticed, you're a long way from Eddie's

11. camocam1

Ive found out that cat2 fitted as standard and seemingly Saga Insurance are happy to insure without cat1 so may give them a call think I would rather spend the money on a tracker but budget being blown on this MH as more than I won't to spend but will see what the boss thinks when she views it tomorrow and I take it test drive not sure about the 2.2 130bhp Peugeot will be powerfull enough for a 3850kg MH if fully load bearing in mind is a 6 berth