Carcassonne

Discussion in 'France' started by SteveB123, Oct 13, 2015.

1. SteveB123

SteveB123 Funster

Any advice please I am travelling to Carcassonne tomorrow is the aire in the aires book France OK security wise. I want to have a look around the city during the day.

Thankyou

2. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

I think you will get a variety of answers to this question as it has been done before, we have stayed and it was fine but others will not agree an say they did not stop for one reason or another.

If it looks OK when you get there, just go for it(y).

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  3. snowdrops

snowdrops Funster Life Member

We were there 3 weeks ago. Quite a large aire but was quite packed out by half 10. A few spaces appeared towards late afternoon. Be careful on leaving, the card you have on entry needs to be paid before you can put it back into the machine to lift the exit barrier. The payment machine is separate from the car park and is signed. Didn't seem to be any security person-wise, but vehicles do have to get in via barrier so not exactly open to vehicles for a quick drive thro. We explored the old city completely and that took about 2 hrs, not as long as we thought. Not sure about the modern bit tho. Aire book directions are spot on btw.

• Like Like x 1
  4. parknride

parknride Funster

We stayed there last summer, felt secure enough. Easy walk into the walled city. Lots of lovely eating drinking places. Go, enjoy(y)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Phill D

Phill D

the aire is quite open as far as i recal. if you want security there is the site a little further up the road and still within easy walking distance of the city.

Oh and stay out of the center in your van on market day.... i can vouch for the one way system being kinda narrow...:doh:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Granjan

Granjan Funster

We stayed over night in June, didnt have any problems, about 1/2 full, we arrived early evening and left late morning. Only about 7 euro's, just take your passports / valuables with you. Parking shared with coaches during day but should be Ok, park nearer to top if you can, bottom end quieter. If it is really quiet or you don't feel happy just leave. We felt fine.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bladerunner

bladerunner Funster

I've used it a couple of times and felt perfectly safe.
    Easy walk to nice town.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mel

Mel Funster

Used it once I think it was the old aire.
    No problem & a beuriful place to visit IMO

• Like Like x 1
  9. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

As I recall it's parking area P2. I don't remember seeing a toilet emptying spot but fresh water and grey water were provided for.

You can see a zoomable panorama what I took here.

We never felt insecure - just incredibly hot. We were there one August and the temperature was well over 40 degrees.

The shops have become increasingly commercial (ie plastic knights, wooden swords etc) in recent years but the basic historic walled city is still worth visiting. I quite liked the chateau within the walls too - extra stuff to see inside and out.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We stayed there for a couple of days in February 2014 while we visited the old city. There was one other van there, we had no problems and felt perfectly safe.
    My Sister also lives there and has done for the last 15 years and has never had any security worries.
    Just do as you would do anywhere else, keep it locked, blinds or curtains drawn and no valuables on show.
    Simples......

• Like Like x 2
  11. Glandwr

Glandwr Funster

Used it 3 years ago seemed safe, no presence when we where there and all barriers up as it was out of season. It does however have a huge advantage. You can quite easily walk in and out of walled city. This allows you to visit either very early in the day or at night.

The impression of the place is very different when not full of tourists.

Dick

• Like Like x 4
  12. Allanm

Allanm Funster

First time we went was in July, it was very busy and very hot and we came away with a very poor impression of the city. Last time we went was February, and as Dick says, it was a very different place and a real pleasure to walk around. Wonderful architecture and fantastic views of snow capped mountains in the distance.
    Out of season, like most touristy towns, is far better!

Ps, are you there yet?

• Like Like x 1
  13. maison

maison Funster

Stayed there in June this year.

A large parking area, a bit impersonal but we felt completely safe.

Carcassonne has become more and more commercial each time we have visited although it is still well worth a visit. Just ignore the "tat" shops.

Would not advise you to take "Le Petit Train" tour as it just went around the walls, outside the old city. The commentary consisted of explaining what each of the 52 towers was. O k, for the first few then very repetitive .

14. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

Don't pull down the van blinds as soon as it gets dark ! The cité is illuminated after dark and you get a very good view from the aire.

15. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

I can recommend Carcassone hospital and the cities Clinique Montreal :whew:

Parking P2 is ok, buts it's a shame they moved from the old aire that was right next to the drawbridge. You may note that P2's charging board is more complex than an A level maths exam :nerd:

16. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

We were there last month.. we avoided the aire and stayed on the site. Aire looked fine though.
    As stated .. it's stunning at night
    IMG_20151017_182931.jpg

• Like Like x 4