carbon monoxide "reiterate the principle of precaution"

Discussion in 'Motorhomes in the News' started by autocaravana adventure, Feb 15, 2010.

  1. autocaravana adventure

    autocaravana adventure Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2008
    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Lisbon
    The body of a man of 43 years and a woman aged 45 were found dead in the night from Saturday to Sunday at Combs-la-Ville (Seine-et-Marne), the survey highlighting a heating failed, it was learned Sunday prefectural and police sources.

    The bodies were found lifeless "to 1:20" in their motor home while the couple had attended a party held nearby, said a police source. It is a waterfront, itself involved in the festival that discovered the two bodies and alerted the police, the source said. According to preliminary results of the investigation, the man and woman have been poisoned in their sleep from carbon monoxide generated by a "faulty heating" inside the camper. Upon arrival, police found a generator inside the camper. Investigators were unable to clear Sunday night whether the vehicle was the primary or secondary residence of the couple.

    Following this tragedy, the prefecture of Seine-et-Marne wished to "reiterate the principle of precaution" to observe this period of extreme cold. "With temperatures below zero, it is necessary to check carefully before using the heaters, that there is adequate ventilation for this type of gas," stressed the permanence prefecture. The commissioner of Moissy-Cramayel has received the survey.
     
  2. JaG

    JaG Funster

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2008
    Messages:
    697
    Likes Received:
    504
    Location:
    Chesterfield
    Tragic

    This is so tragic. It can so easily happen if proper precautions are not taken. Last year, having just bought our campervan with no heater we had a close encounter. We were at Newark Show and the temperature dropped to minus 4 during the night. Unable to sleep we lit a small portable heater we had that run on the canisters. The van warmed up and we dropped off to sleep. An hour later we were woken by the Carbon Monoxide alarm going off (luckily we had bought one before we left home). Not realising the camper had no air vents it had taken most of the oxygen out of the air. We were lucky, very lucky, to have just a headache the next morning. You can be as experienced as you like ( we have been caravanning over 35 years) but it is still easy to make a mistake. No so for the couple in France.
     
  3. imprint

    imprint Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2009
    Messages:
    1,090
    Likes Received:
    11
    1. Use an oil-filled, electrically heated rad when you're asleep.
    2 With a decent duvet plus a second, or sleeping bags, you'll be warm enough even if you're as mature as the Senior Partner and I
     
  4. Munchie

    Munchie Funster Life Member

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2007
    Messages:
    8,529
    Likes Received:
    11,664
    Location:
    Champagnac-La-Riviere
    Yep we use a small oil filled rad at night. We have a CO/smoke alarm fitted but to be honest it's turned off as the damned thing goes off at the slightest thing (like Steph breaking wind:Eeek:)
     
  5. dellwood33

    dellwood33 Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2009
    Messages:
    3,449
    Likes Received:
    887
    Location:
    Newcastle
    The comment that the police found a generator inside the camper is a strange one. Was the generator being used inside :Eeek: ?
     
  6. tofo

    tofo Funster

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    Messages:
    6,587
    Likes Received:
    6,213
    Location:
    Kirby cross further from londin
    i wondered that
    but i couldnt see anyone running a petrol/diesel genny
    inside their van could they!!!!?:cry:
    bad enough when i had a diesel welder in the back of a luton
    and a hose out the back
    let alone trying to kip with an unsileced one
    and the smell in the habitation area of a camper

    surley they meant heat generator like a fire or flued heater

    unfortunate accident i would imagine but awarning to us all
     
  7. tjay

    tjay Funster

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2007
    Messages:
    320
    Likes Received:
    258
    Location:
    Dundee
    heating van

    Hi to all,with the weather being the way it has i am so glad that we have a websato airtop heater fitted.At new year we were away and the temp was down to -6 degrees before we went to bed !!.Put off the gas heater at that time but woke up a 6;30am cold,switched on the webasto and went back to bed ! wakened up at 8am almost melting with the heat.
    As the exhaust is vented outside no danger of co2 gases inside. my heart goes out to the family of the couple who died.
     
  8. autocaravana adventure

    autocaravana adventure Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2008
    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Lisbon
    after he learned of this sad news, I put a co2 detector with audible alarm in my motorhome
    [​IMG]
     
Loading...

Share This Page