LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
It is possible that the dealer had a gas safe engineer undertake the test; is the name on the paperwork registered with Gas Safe?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Just to warn you, I have problems too and my CO alarm keeps going off.... I phoned up several local places and the earliest appointment for it all to be checked out is in September ... so you may have a wait :(
I have a professional gas detector Joy. I'd be happy to try locate your leak at least until you can get a full gas check (Malvern)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Andy, if you need a hand with this one I'm on standby.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
When we bought our van a habitation check had been done . However since then we have discovered several faults which should have been picked up during a hab check some with the heating system and water heating system . Luckily none of them were of the lethal variety . We do have
a CO alarm as well as a gas alarm just in case .

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
as a gas safe registered engineer I will check tomorrow about this, but I know that if you have a static caravan you have to be lpg registered to work on any gas boiler or heater, you must get a report from the hospital as this is a health and safety (ridol) a very serious problem. not lol until I get the answer ray

Here you go:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/foi/internalops/ocs/400-499/440_34.htm

To summarise it the GSIUR only applies to a touring or motor caravan hired out in the course of a business, permanently sited or used in a commercial enterprise and in those cases to be considered competent to work on them the engineer has to have the specific ACS qualification for work on appliances in caravans in addition to CCLP1 (domestic LPG)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
as a gas safe registered engineer I will check tomorrow about this, but I know that if you have a static caravan you have to be lpg registered to work on any gas boiler or heater, you must get a report from the hospital as this is a health and safety (ridol) a very serious problem. not lol until I get the answer ray

Here you go:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/foi/internalops/ocs/400-499/440_34.htm

To summarise it the GSIUR only applies to a touring or motor caravan hired out in the course of a business, permanently sited or used in a commercial enterprise and in those cases to be considered competent to work on them the engineer has to have the specific ACS qualification for work on appliances in caravans in addition to CCLP1 (domestic LPG)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Nowadays it is unusual for a fridge service to be included in a habitation check as it is time consuming and most treat it as an extra which you can ask for or not but its up to you.

However if the paperwork shows that they have tested it and serviced it they one would expect it all to be in good condition not coked up with soot etc. The other possibility is a Dometic or Thetford fridge engineer depending on the mark of yours as they would know how it should be before and after a service.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
After reading this thread yesterday, i tested my factory fitted 'fire angel' co detector and found it was faulty....ie dead kaput fecked.

I phoned Spruce Angel ( Fire Angel) on a free phone number and reported it.

The chap on the phone asked what were the problems and immediately said it would be replaced and i should have it by tomorrow . It is nearly 2 years old.

I thought i would mention it here both as a reminder to others and to praise great service.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
As usual there is a lot of mis-information in this thread. for clarity:
Motorcaravans and caravans and horseboxes are excluded from the gas safety regs UNLESS they are hired out in the course of a business, only then do they fall unde gas regs and require Gas Safe registered personnel to work on them.

A person working on a motorcaravan, caravan or horsebox's gas system simply needs to be able to prove "competence" which generally requires that person to have completed a ACOPS course successfully. I have done this twice now, 2nd time was the five year "refresher" course. You have to score 100% in the written exam which isn't difficult as you are given the relevant text books to look up info from and on both occasions I was the only person on the course to score 100% first time :) . Before you decry the text books being available you need to understand that the test is not of your outright knowledge but your ability to find the answers when you don't know them off by heart.

To the OP, I don't know how you stand legally without seeing your equipment (ooh Matron!) if you know what I mean :) I would suggest a visit to a reputable workshop to establish the condition of the heater in question.

Joy (MOVAN) you didn't phone us, we could fit you in next week! :)

D.

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
hi funsters spoke to gas safe today as DAVE NEWELL stated read that thread,but this a health and safety problem and until a death happens it will come a part of gas safe until then it's a lottery,if you have NOT I SAY AGAIN IF YOU HAVE NOT HAD TRAINING ON ANY GAS YOU ARE BREAKING THE LAW UNDER HEALTH AND SAFETY hope this helps, lol still lol ray

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Unable to comment on the gas comments, I would just like to say that I am pleased to read that Dave F is still alive and posting (y):party2::party2::party2::cheers:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back