Caravan & Motorhome Club.....or not? (1 Viewer)

Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
Motorhoming since 2011 - now returning after a long break!
We are returning into the Motorhoming fold (having seen the error of our ways...) and wondered if we could ask your views about membership of the Caravan & Motorhome Club UK? Don't shoot me down, this is a genuine "should we/shouldn't we" question, with no experience at all of the Club, and wondering if it really brings all manner of worthwhile advantages - or not.
We did belong to ACSI (with previous Motorhome, a while back) which is something else we need to revisit I guess.
We are likely to be touring in the UK and throughout Europe.
Sally

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Oh yes. We came across one at Brighton. 18 inches off the peg according to he yet I was central in the pitch. The peg was in the wrong place so moved i much to his chagrin. Also at a very soggy site in the west country where he was telling people to drive over the grass and then complaining that they were getting stuck.
Sorry meant to add that I don't recollect ever having issues with lady wardens. That may say something, but not that I am an Adonis and they just fall at my feet! :rofl: .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
Motorhoming since 2011 - now returning after a long break!
A great response from all you Motorhomefunners (?) thank you, I am very grateful indeed. Much to mull over and consider, along with repopulating recently acquired Motorhome with vital "things".....
First trip likely to be UK - up North and into Scotland. Thereafter, back to France and beyond.
There are some great blogs about longer trips to Greece - now there's an idea...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
We belonged to both for years but on our last 3 months trip round the Uk we found private sites in places we wanted to visit. Usually good and always much cheaper so we're not in any club at the moment. I suppose we might rejoin if there was somewhere we were desperate to go and couldn't get there any other way. There's also Park4aNight and a couple of other similar that I can't remember the name off but I'm sure someone will come along and tell us soon.

Upvote 0
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
We took the decision to leave the CMHC after 27 years and 8 years previous to that but continue in the CCC. The main reason was cost, we are pensioners and can no longer afford the crazy prices they charge. CLs used to be good value but the CMHC has forced them to increase prices to extortionate prices for what they offer. The CCC do offer cheaper prices for OAPs but the CMHC doesn't even offer a cent off and certainly don't give a toss when they lose long serving members. The MHCC is no longer a club it has become a very greedy business run by the few for the few.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Worth noting if you are over 60, CACC will be even cheaper, as their over 60's rate is even better ... where CAMC has no over 60's rate.
I though it was over 65 now and you have to be a member for 25 years to get the 50% membership rate.

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017怋
I though it was over 65 now and you have to be a member for 25 years to get the 50% membership rate.
No Lenny HB .. Auld Fud Rate used to be 55yrs old but about 10ish yrs ago it increased to 60 yrs which it is still at..
However what is this 50% membership rate after 25 yrs you talk about???. We been members for over 30 yrs.... Wonder if we get we get that... need to check.. or is it another thing they don't advertise and you need to apply for??

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No Lenny HB .. Auld Fud Rate used to be 55yrs old but about 10ish yrs ago it increased to 60 yrs which it is still at..
However what is this 50% membership rate after 25 yrs you talk about???. We been members for over 30 yrs.... Wonder if we get we get that... need to check.. or is it another thing they don't advertise and you need to apply for??
Forgot about site discounts only sites we have used in the UK is the New Forest and they don't run them anymore & they are cheaper now.

They now call it Veteran membership 50% of paper membership cost you can't have digital so you have to put up with the crap magazine dropping through your door.
You have to ring to get it.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
By not allowing it they are encouraging members to become non-members!

It is a revenue generating opportunity, not the reverse.šŸ‘

Ian

Well, they clearly have thought about it and agree with me and not you :LOL:

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
12 years
You'll find the other club may be more "friendly". We're a member of both at moment, prefer CAMC for the CL's, but site prices in summer are approx double that of the other club so we a member of both at moment.

It really dpeends where you visiting though, as if it was for example North Norfolk, both clubs have sites at say Cromer, and Sandringham. Ditto places like Kessingland, both clubs have a campsite in that beach town, but the CAMC site in taht case is better located (but also far more pricy). However, only CAMC havea site in Gt Yarmouth so if you wanted to visit there, you better with CAMC.

Our experience is:
CACC is better for campsites that are ran by the club, they generally get double the bang per Ā£ (ie, it's twice or more the price for a CAMC site).
CAMC is better for CL sites, and there are some VERY nice CL sites, usually Ā£20-Ā£25 a night all in (inc electric)
CACC CS sites are less "useful" for a motorhome we have found, and we havn't found them as good as teh CL's (which are a very good standard from those we have visited).
CACC is better for "temporary holiday sites" and Rally type sites, usually Ā£10-15/ni per unit.

Peak times like bank holidays, CAMC is often (for 2) Ā£70 a night, where once grass pithces and promos available, CACC will be Ā£30 ish.

Personall without the CL's we'd drop CAMC before we dropped CACC which says how much we value the 2 main member club campsites in UK. We almost done this until we discovered 2 CL's we liked enough to stay members for next eyar. CL booking often requires a phone if the CL is not on the clbooking website.

If you stay 4 nights at each club you'll probably get back your membership in the discounts.
Worth noting if you are over 60, CACC will be even cheaper, as their over 60's rate is even better ... where CAMC has no over 60's rate.
This is exactly what I would have replied! I can't remember the last time we stayed on a CAMC club site, but frequently stay on their CLs. Some of the CLs are just exceptional. We sometimes stay on CACC club sites and the ARC (old-persons discount) is really useful.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back