Caravan Club membership and using CLs

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scotjimland, Mar 14, 2012.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I am a member of the CC, the main reason being to use the extensive network of great CLs..

Is it right that non members use CLs and even advocate doing this ?

I certainly don't think so.. what do the Funsters think ?

2. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

I have heard of a few non members using the sites as most of the owners don't ask for your membership card, I for one don't like this because what would be the point of paying for membership if anyone can use them, much like this site, you are allowed to read some pages but them are blocked until you pay membership, I think they should all ask for membership cards and applaud the ones that ask for them.

• Like Like x 4
  3. moandick

moandick Read Only Funster

I would certainly agree with ScotJim - IF - the Caravan Club paid the CLs for their use whether anybody was on site or not!

As it is, most CLs are in business to earn money - and in order to pay their expenses, Insurances, Rates, Maintenance etc., etc., etc - they need an income to do so.

They are simply not going to prosper if they sit there empty, for whatever reason.

So who can blame them if somebody comes along offering them money to take up an empty pitch.

CC Membership or not - in this day and age - it is survival of the fittest! :Eeek:

Dick

• Like Like x 12
  4. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Have to agree with moandick on this one

• Like Like x 1
  5. MrJinks

MrJinks Read Only Funster

I think it depends if the CL is very popular and busy. If so, why would the owner want non CC members.
    Most CLs, mine included, are only ever full at peak times, and sometimes not then either.

I personally would never take any bookings from non CC members. However, if someone pulls in and asks if they can stay and I have space....where's the problem. It only happens very rarely and is not depriving CC member of pitch.

• Like Like x 7
  6. paulmold

paulmold Read Only Funster

If a CL owner allows non-members on, then they are going against the planning laws and can lose their CL status, same goes for those that flount the 5-van rule. It is a condition that they ask for proof of membership although I can't remember the last time I was asked for my card.

• Like Like x 2
  7. scotjimland

I can certainly understand why CL owners would be inclined not to bother asking.. as said it is a business, why turn it away .. the chances of being caught out are indeed slim.

but my point is more directed to users.. if they KNOW you are going to use CLs on a fairly regular basis .. why don't they pay for the membership.. ?
    I guess the answer is in the question..

• Like Like x 1
  8. yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding Read Only Funster

I think a bigger issue is how the CC and C&CC keep increasing membership without providing more piches. I think there should be a fixed ratio between membership numbers and pitches. As previously mentioned CL site owners have a business to run and must make a profit. CC and C&CC should be run for the benefit of their members.

• Like Like x 2
  9. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

I joined because i seen a ad saying there may be discount for over 55`s.
    I have not seen any discounts yet!
    I can search through the sites on line, drive in and no one asks for any proof.
    Why am i a member?:Eeek:

10. scotjimland

I believe the over 55's discount is only for members of the C&CC ?

You can search CC Sites on-line but not CLs .. as many Club sites are open to non members.,.. not so CLs

Only you can decide if membership is worth while and good value for money ..

11. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

You dont get the discount on Cl's or CS's only get the over 55 discount if you are on a cc &c club site.. you get a midweek discount on a cc club site and that's for anyone and not on every site irrespective of age.

12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The fact that CL owners want to make a profit is irrelevant. It is their choice to apply for CL status as an alternative to obtaining permission for a separately licensed site, nobody forces them to do so. Having made that choice then they should abide by the terms it entails.

As regards site users then nobody should have any expectation of being able to use a CL if they are not CC members. Once again, it is their choice whether or not to join the CC. Why on Earth should they have such an expectation to enjoy any of the benefits of membership if they have chose not to be members?

• Like Like x 6
  13. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

In answer to your question in the OP yes they do allow people on who are not members, or should I say some do.

Nikki and I stopped a couple of times up the road from us, I knocked on the door and asked if we could stay to test the van out. They said yes so we did even explaining we were not members.

However,

We liked it so much we actually after a break of about 8 years rejoined the club to use more of them.

• Like Like x 2
  14. scotjimland

If I turn up at a CL on spec and it is full, I will ask the owner if they are all members.. if the owner doesn't want to say or refuses I will suspect they are not and report the CL to the Club to investigate. .. harsh ?
    No.. I am not paying fees to have the facility used by non members.. just like any other club, be it golf, tennis , whatever... if you want to use and enjoy the facilities provided... .. pay the fees.

15. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I think CL/CS owners should be allowed to register with more than one club, they could then get more business legitimately and thus be more viable, hence more CL/CS/MFL or whatever. The clubs should then compete on what they can offer their members not expect the CL/CS owners to be boosting their membership.

If someone has room for only around 5 vans they would never make enough to be a 'proper' caravan site.

16. lorger

lorger Funster

We are in the cc and use a few cl's and have never been asked if we are members, maybe there is a rule somewhere that they can take non memebers i dont know the rules but i did assume they where for members only.

Maybe they could charge an extra £1 a night for non members this would then make it benifical to join.

Jim might have read one of your post wrong but as far as im aware you can look up cl's on the internet you just have to log into do it.

17. scotjimland

Hi Gerry

The rules are laid down and controlled by (AFAIK) Natural England and fall under the Caravan act ,, 19 summat or other .. not by the club issuing the exemption certificate

Yes, you access CL listings on the website if you log in .. that requires membership.

18. lorger

lorger Funster

Jim most other clubs like the ones you mention take non members to boost their income, for example i am a member of our local golf club and i pay £460 a year for it but ithe course can be busy with visiting parties who will pay £50 a day and its these visitors that keep our yearly subs down, as i mentioned on my previous post maybe charge non members for the use and this might deter some or they would all join and you would never get on a cl anyway :Rofl1::Rofl1:

19. scotjimland

think you posted as I was writing.. The Club don't make the rules governing CLs

It's a good idea, but would require a change in the Law ..

20. olley

olley Funster

Suppose he says that they all are, want then? Do you go around knocking on doors and asking? Or do you report that you suspect he's taking all comer's when in fact he may be telling the truth?

Ian

• Like Like x 2