car battery

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Gunner29, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Gunner29

Gunner29 Read Only Funster

Been away since 12 Aug which is roughly 8 weeks.
    My son has informed me that the car bty is flat and he cannot move my "new" car so that I can park the M/H on the drive etc.:Eeek:
    This is a very short period for a bty to lose that amount of power or is it.

Advice pse

2. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Not on a modern car - there are so many electrics running that a modern car stood up averages around 14 days. Some do less, some do more.

Give it a charge, and it will be fine - test the battery later, just to ensure no long standing damage has been done - which it may have being stood for over a month flat.

3. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Depends on the vehicle. Some have all sorts of stuff, for example my Discovery will check the suspension is level every 2 hours and will re level is necessary. I don't know why as I can't see the point of this, and you can prevent it by lowering to access height when parked. Then there are alarms, trackers, the receiver for the remote,radio memory etc all of which use a little power but it adds up over weeks.

I have a little 10w solar panel (about a foot square) which i connect up when we're away as an insurance.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

if the parasitic drain (immobiliser/alarm, radio memory, keyless entry receiver etc) = 100ma (1/10th amp) that amounts to 33.6 amps over a 14 day period.
    that nearly half the capacity of an average car battery, too low for a start.

• Like Like x 1
  5. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

Batteries can loose their charge at any time.

I have been in situations where the car has started in the morning, been driven for a while and when attempt to restart later in the day, nothing, Battery has discharged.

6. marksmith

marksmith Read Only Funster

You have a fault there. That should not happen.

7. estcres

A cell on a battery can fail at any time. The plates can become buckled.

Put a discharge meter on a faulty battery just after it has been charged and it can discharge almost straight away, even up to half an hour after charging.

When I was in the army and used hundreds of wet batteries for our radios they were always packing up without any signs.

I had a engine battery in the motorhome which was discharged when I went to visit it, (it was in storage). I got the generator out and connected it to the 230v input and charged the battery enough so I could start the engine.
    Took the vehicle for a good run and the battery showed it was fully charged,

Disconnected the battery and left it overnight and when I went back in the morning fully discharged. Took it to Kwik Fit, they did a quick charge and discharge test and showed me the battery was not holding it's charge.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  8. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Sounds as though they were just MOD crap, probably been in a warehouse for years........:RollEyes:

:BigGrin:

9. estcres

In those days I think it was the "War Dept",:Rofl1: MoD is a modern name.:thumb:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  10. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Oooops aplogies Sir,:Blush:

I'm just a (relative) youngster , it has been the MOD since before I learned to walk and talk.......:RollEyes:. .:Wink:

:BigGrin:

11. estcres

Many, Many years ago I was with my, then, girlfriend at Stonehenge and the new signs had just been installed, saying "No parking for MoD vehicles.

She asked me why MOD's were banned but Rocker's were not?!!!

I had to explain that the MoD was the new name for the War Dept.

I hasten to say I did not go on to marry her.

12. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

We used to set the alarm on the car when we went away in the MH, and after a 3 x week trip, we'd come back to a sluggish to start car.

Now, we just lock it using the key, rather than the fob, and have had no problems since, especially with false alarms due to insects, or due to the expansion of body work caused by heat, setting off sensors.

Cheers,

Jock.

13. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Our Volvo S60 lasts about 3-4 weeks only,so I connect a C-Tek charger via our external EHU point :thumb:

Mike

14. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

My agricultural technology Golf diesel stood for 5 months once and started as though it had been run half an hour before :thumb:. Am of the opinion that technology has moved backwards instead of forwards :Doh:. Its a bit pointless having a tracker and alarm on a car that wont start because of a flat battery, how are they going to steel it :RollEyes:.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Ah, sounds like the old Batteries, Radio, Flat No1. I've had the misfortune to use a few of those myself

Allan

16. Gunner29

Gunner29 Read Only Funster

sorted

back home & car sorted.