Car A Tow fitting instructions needed

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by JACQ, Aug 4, 2014.

1. JACQ

JACQ Funster

Hello all, We've just bought a 2nd hand Car A Tow braked A frame through Ebay and I was hoping someone on here might be able to share a copy of the relevant fitting instructions? We're expecting to have to buy additional parts from Car A Tow, but if we can get hold of the instructions first, it would enable us to order everything at once as well as give a clear idea of how to actually fit it to the car. Hoping a Funster on here will be able to help,thank you! :*

2. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Hi JACQ, we have a Car-A-Tow frame which we use on a Ford Ka.

Your frame will probably be fairly standard but the equipment which it attaches to on the toad will depend on what car you have.

I have instructions for attaching the frame to the car but not for the neccessary work on the car to fit the attachments..

Yor avatar says you are not far away from us here near Watton (Saham Toney), so you are welcome to call in to see our set-up.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JACQ

JACQ Funster

Thank you for your offer, we may well take you up on that! We are picking the A frame up today from the seller so we'll see exactly what we're getting and then give the company a call to see if they can advise us what extras we'll need. A look at your set up might be really useful for my husband, who is the lucky person nominated to fit it! Did you fit it yourself or have it fitted?

4. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

Hi,go on to caratow website they have all the bits you may need and you can download parts and instruction guide ,what car have bought to tow? as there may be welding required but I think thats rare

• Like Like x 1
  5. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I didn't fit it myself but had it supplied and fitted by Southern Towing in Poole.

6. JACQ

JACQ Funster

We will be fitting it to our Citroen C1. We've collected it and it seems in good order. Bernie is going to speak to Car a Tow to discuss the extras we'll need. I may well send you a PM icantremember. Thank you for your help

• Like Like x 1
  7. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I don't know much about the Citroen C1 .... our set-up is bolted to the car chassis, I'm not very happy with the way some are fitted to the car's towing eyes as these are not designed for long term towing and could pull away. It is also vital that the connections to the a-frame are central and perfectly square to the car or it will tend to drag at an angle and wear the tyres.
    As said, if I can offer any help , then you are welcome to make contact. Brian

• Like Like x 1
  8. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

We had a caratow a frame, and when I contacted them about fitting the bracket and electrics on the car, they wanted £460 so I sold the a frame a got a trailer. :D Bob.

9. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Tight git ...... oops, sorry does that contravene Rule #1;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Even though you have bought the hitch, there is a major part of the bracket that is specific to each vehicle, and this is quite expensive (around £170 for parts only).
    Having watched Andrew (mobile caratow fitter, does Airides too) it seems quite straightforward, though ours was on a brand new car so no rusted bolts and fragile clips to deal with.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

plus dont forget you will now have to budget for an electric braking system to fit too. the over-run hitch brake is not legal from september on non centre axle trailers

12. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Big1 .. Where is this legislation.. Is it retrospective.. And can you confirm that centre axle includes two axles under 1m apart. How will this affect caravans?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  13. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  14. JACQ

JACQ Funster

Both Car A Tow and Towtal websites have updates regarding proposed new legislation and indications appear to be that it will not be retrospective. Alan at Car A Tow has been most helpful and is in the process of compiling list and price of extras we will need which will include the expensive chassis bracket reallyretired mentions.

15. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Ok.. Having had a little read this is European legislation... We currently don't prosecute in the UK for any traffic matters using anything except British legislation.. That would need to be amended to incorporate any European directive..
    Amendments are not automatic as far as I'm aware..
    Its all a bit of a mish mash innit...
    #getoutofeuropequick ;)

16. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Just to chuck in another bit into this already confused subject. Some of the electrical systems such as Brake Buddy, apply proportional braking because they are operated by inertia. These may therefore be no more 'legal' than those using cable braking from an inertia operated hitch. A system running from the brake light circuit (if such exists) would not be proportional.
    In addition the electric braking systems use the towcars battery to operate, and small towcars tend to have small batteries. Our Suzukis battery is tiny, I think I've seen bigger ones in a torch:blusher:. Towing for long distances could possibly lead to total brake failure.