canal du midi à la chaser Feb 2017 (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
decision made, we set off next month as we did last year, no doubt with Bevs words ringing in my ears, it is too early, too cold, too wet, no sites will be open, we should go later, but later we are off to Sweden and Norway and February is our anniversary month, 36 years, they don't even have anything to associate with such duration :) but we always try to be away for our anniversary.

We did a very similar trip last year, just after the turbo was fixed, but I didn't really plan it didn't really think the turbo was fixed TBH, so we did loads of miles, not real agenda (nothing wrong with that) but we hadn't agreed how to go, or even north south or east when we landed. this time I am sort of planning it

if it goes wrong I will try and offload some blame on @chaser, who in turn will blame it on Mrs Chaser, I have read a few of their recent travel threads which have included this area, apparently Mrs Chaser (Julie?) does the planning Mr C just does the doing :)

All we have so far is a leave from home date of 7th Feb, possibly going via Van Bitz for the auction alarm fitting, first time with an alarm in 4 years, bound to be an omen :(

So channel 8th or 9th, then head south, possibly to La Mailleray, new find last year, love it, good distance down, well placed to get on way down to possibly Parc Verger or Twin Lakes for a couple of nights, before we do the canal

Now back to planning, only other fixture is we have to be back for the 23rd, not really anywhere near long enough to do it properly, but we can always come back .......

when it is not too early, might be warmer, may be drier, sites will be open etc :):)(y)(y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
when I say 'do the canal' I mean find little village aires nearby, hopefully adjacent and walk sections of it, we are not doing a cruise (y)

but working our way down it

Link Removed

we have also ordered the book on beautiful villages mentioned on here the other day

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Of interest possibly info in the books "Through the French canals "with maps more related to cruising them but lots of info ,when doing deliveries through the Midi and others always seen plenty of campers near the various locks (free water) and the French plugged into ehu ..,

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I dont mean to be picky David,but motorhomes dont do too well on a canal,they have the horrible habit of sinking:whistle:

sounds like a great trip buddy,keep us posted:)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Canals are great for our disability scooter. We were down at St Quentin, 2 years ago. Wonderful scenery and reflections in the water. Not too far to drive either. I like the sound of your books. Have fun.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
Canals are great for our disability scooter. We were down at St Quentin, 2 years ago. Wonderful scenery and reflections in the water. Not too far to drive either. I like the sound of your books. Have fun.
we was robbed in st quinten, told us a restarant for a meal and robbed our room, never liked the place since

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

canals are great for me too, not disabled, just over weight and a little lazy (y) UK canals are even better although not as many pubs as there used to be :)

also found this book, look interesting

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361652963779?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
no doubt with Bevs words ringing in my ears, it is too early, too cold, too wet, no sites will be open, we should go later

Wives can be right.

The Canal is glorious in warm sunshine seen from a boat. Done it twice. Never thought to do it in Feb and I've never seen an ice breaker for hire on a canal.

cdn1.jpg
cdm2.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm not sure I'd want to do it in February ... still gets dark early and will be cold ... do you really have to go abroad ... you can get the same weather as that in the UK!

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I'm not sure I'd want to do it in February ... still gets dark early and will be cold ... do you really have to go abroad ... you can get the same weather as that in the UK!

well thanks for the optimistic reply :)

we were in the same area last February, sat outside to eat at a few places around Bordeaux, full on T shirt weather around Sete when we got to the med

Its a gamble but we like the scenery and the lifestyle, but mainly apart from a few places in Scotland, we haven't found many places where we are welcomed to park an 8m MH overnight and Italy is even further (y)

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
A couple of aires (no services) by the Canal du Midi in the Aude:

Labastide d'Anjou http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/cci.php?numero=10934 Right by the canal; public toilets nearby. The restaurant there is reputed to be very good.

Montferrand http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/cci.php?numero=1105 A short walk from the canal and many canal-related works. This is the highest point on the Canal du Midi. There is a feeder stream bringing in water, storage ponds, etc. Montferrand is also the site of an aerial lighthouse.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Lovely idea, we've done lots of the canal route several times. The northern part is a lot better for cycling than the generally much less formalised canal path towards the southern end.
BUT it will be utterly freezing in February. It's beautiful in the summer but with rain lashing down and sub zero temps it's not for us at that time of year.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Lovely idea, we've done lots of the canal route several times. The northern part is a lot better for cycling than the generally much less formalised canal path towards the southern end.
BUT it will be utterly freezing in February. It's beautiful in the summer but with rain lashing down and sub zero temps it's not for us at that time of year.

from the very limited research done so far it looks like the bit from Bordeaux to Carcassone is more or less a navigable river, turning into a canal then down to the med

as for the weather, I would rather go prepared for the cold and ready for it than wait till June expect the sun and be disappointed with the warmer rain :)

as I put higher up, last year we were out in t shirts on quite a few days, only really cold on way back up through the massif central

but this trip is for our anniversary so timing cant be changed (y) we will take our chance :) I am fairly optimistic based on previous trips

Last edited:

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Have taken a look at my notes not sure if this list is all canal du Midi but it might help, some of the paying ones may be free out of season.

Aire Buzet-Sur-Baise sur Baise - boat yard spot alongside canal lot et garonne nice spot cycling route. pay in port de plaisance or machine.

Valence d'Agen aire behind town which may seem dead but is a hive on a Tuesday market day . Free by side of canal for cycling.

Donzac just the road from Valence, free aire by pleasure fishing pond, good bread shop in village

Castelnaudary aire on side of canal very elaborate getting in system so may not be for you @DavidG58 o_O , when we were there they only wanted motorhome parking in the aire, out of season I suspect it is much less problematic. Right by side of canal du Midi.

Revel - very nice aire on outskirts of beautiful town with fantastic mediaeval square. Aire more like a small campsite with marked pitches etc ( ccard entry but easy(y) ). Great market on a Saturday, we cycled up to the lake that feeds the canal du Midi. Great tourist office in old market hall.

Puylaurens -nice little free aire in hills above canal with fantastic views of Pyrenees. Hilly cycling here but we loved it.

Hope this helps.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
whatever the weather enjoy your annvrsary,

36 years paa mere youngsters

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Have taken a look at my notes not sure if this list is all canal du Midi but it might help, some of the paying ones may be free out of season.

Aire Buzet-Sur-Baise sur Baise - boat yard spot alongside canal lot et garonne nice spot cycling route. pay in port de plaisance or machine.

Valence d'Agen aire behind town which may seem dead but is a hive on a Tuesday market day . Free by side of canal for cycling.

Donzac just the road from Valence, free aire by pleasure fishing pond, good bread shop in village

Castelnaudary aire on side of canal very elaborate getting in system so may not be for you @DavidG58 o_O , when we were there they only wanted motorhome parking in the aire, out of season I suspect it is much less problematic. Right by side of canal du Midi.

Revel - very nice aire on outskirts of beautiful town with fantastic mediaeval square. Aire more like a small campsite with marked pitches etc ( ccard entry but easy(y) ). Great market on a Saturday, we cycled up to the lake that feeds the canal du Midi. Great tourist office in old market hall.

Puylaurens -nice little free aire in hills above canal with fantastic views of Pyrenees. Hilly cycling here but we loved it.

Hope this helps.
Yes we did most of these, but out of this list ,got to recommend valence, as @Jenben says we arrived on a Monday, couldn't get a drink, nothing(n) but the tues , heaving , and the aire is in an old abatuore all done up with sinks and showers Even cooking stuff, like a joint effort for walkers , cycles, boat people and motorhomers.
Brilliant (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back