Can you help us plan a route through France to Roses in Spain please? (1 Viewer)

R

Rita and Andrew

Deleted User
So we leave in less than 2 weeks and are heading to the Bay of Roses in Spain. We only have 14 days so we plan on 2 days of 4/5 hour drives from Calais. Any help with route and sites would be fab..

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Mas Nou is a lovely site at Empuriabrava. Three miles into Roses...Rouen down through Orleons., Clairmont .Millau Bezier. Perpigan .Spain,,,,Two nights on the road should do it...Enjoy. BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
With these two links you can plan your own way down. Look at the partial toll option for France as it will save you a bundle.
http://about-france.com/routes-from-calais.htm
I misread your post and was going to attached a link for Spain, hence the two links referred to above. However, you may find it useful for future planning so here it is.
http://about-spain.net/travel/map.htm
Further to Scotjimlands post, it's going to be a two day drive from Calais, to get to the Spanish border (If you can do this over a weekend there will be less HGV on the road).
Alternatively, you could consider Brittany! there in a day from Calais and you could even bolt on the D Day beaches and museums which is a must see/do trip.
Either way, enjoy your trip and have a safe journey,

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Unless you are set on using the tunnel why not get an overnight ferry from Portsmouth?

You leave UK at around 10.30pm and arrive "slightly" refreshed at around 7.00am in France.

One day drive along the mostly non toll motorways to Twin Lakes near Bordeaux. Then onwards and cross into Spain (the tolls are cheaper) and follow the road down towards Roses.

Would be a long three days driving from Scotland though. Definitely not 4-5 hours a day.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
The standard routes avoid Paris for obvious reasons but that is the most direct route. The fastest, easiest to navigate and dearest is to take the motorway via Reims and Lyon. The other preferred route is to take the RED C route which picks up the good dual carriageways through Central France. You head for Rouen, Evreux,Dreux,Chartres,Orleans, Clermont Ferrand then across the Millau Bridge.

OP
OP
R

Rita and Andrew

Deleted User
I don't mean to be funny, but you only asked the same question yesterday??

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...oday-and-nothing-planned.136248/#post-1976418

edit - having reread the other thread I guess you might just have reposted in a more appropriate location, it will still be seen by the same people though

enjoy your trip (y)
I'm new so still learning DavidG58.,

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I'm new so still learning DavidG58.,

I realised that, but as usual only after my chance to retract the comment

FYI you have one hour from posting to change or delete, maybe I should have done just that

a tip for you, to make a member aware of a comment add @ to the front of their forum name, but they will also be notified if you copy their comment in reply

It will be interesting to see if you got the same replies to both questions :)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
If you take the faster toll roads, it could cost as much as € 130 each way!
Most normally allow 3 days to travel from calais to southern Spain, so that would mean 6 days off your hols.
Perhaps somewhere a bit closer?

OP
OP
R

Rita and Andrew

Deleted User
Thank you, we're definitely going to rethink our plans now. We have taken the caravan to the south of France but we did have a longer holiday. I suppose it will all depend on the weather as I think we at just chase the sun :)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Are you sure about Roses?

I think there are much nicer places in the Bay of Roses than Roses itself.

L'escala being one example.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
You have 2 choices when driving in France.

Motorways are quicker (particularly Sundays with almost no HGV) but can be darned expensive.
N and D roads, cheaper but a lot slower, probably down to an average of 50/60 kph but you see more of the real France (?), fuel is cheaper, there are more and better choice of aires to stop, more shops if you need anything

Personally I think you are being too ambitious, as others have said you won't do 800 miles in 8 -10 hours driving (even though the speed limit is 130k most of the time).

If you cannot take more time then you will have to shorten the journey unless of course you are happy to spend half your holiday driving.

Stop in France while you still can.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back