Campsite in france (2 Viewers)

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Hi everyone , in June we will traveling from Calais to a site in Saint Emilion but like to break the journey about half way down for a couple of days could anybody suggest a site for us to stop at . As we are complete novices at European camping is there any thing we need to know before we set off .thanks

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Hello

We were over in France last month and used a mixture of aires and campsites. For the campsites we used the Link Removed guide to French Campsites from Vicarious Books. However we found that the majority of French campsites close at the end of September then many of the remainder close at the end of October. I believe that the 'municipals' may open longer, but I have no doubt someone will be along soon with a more definitive answer. The aires of course mainly stay open all year.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

KH

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Vendome.. :)
It's one of our regular stopovers along that route.
It has free parking places but also a municipal campsite, next to park and swimming pool. Lovely town to walk around.
Only downside is maybe road noise from the nearby N10.
Anyway. here is a link for the site..Broken Link Removed

Prior to this, there is a lovely aire at Marboue.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Hello

We were over in France last month and used a mixture of aires and campsites. For the campsites we used the Link Removed guide to French Campsites from Vicarious Books. However we found that the majority of French campsites close at the end of September then many of the remainder close at the end of October. I believe that the 'municipals' may open longer, but I have no doubt someone will be along soon with a more definitive answer. The aires of course mainly stay open all year.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

KH

:) They are going in June.... So I think they will be ok.. (y);)

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
. As we are complete novices at European camping is there any thing we need to know before we set off .thanks
The best tip is not to plan like you are doing - just take it as it comes. If you see something that looks like it may be interesting stop and have a look at it. Stop when you feel like stopping and where you want. Use the motorhome in the way that it was intended. There are so many options of Aires and campsites in France you will be spoilt for choice. I doubt that many of them will be full in June.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Thanks everybody for the advise I am getting the vibe that camping on France is not quite as formal and that you don't have to book a pitch a year in advance (a slight exaggeration I know:LOL:) as you do over here ,am I right in my assumption?

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks everybody for the advise I am getting the vibe that camping on France is not quite as formal and that you don't have to book a pitch a year in advance (a slight exaggeration I know:LOL:) as you do over here ,am I right in my assumption?
Personally the answer is yes (y)

Upvote 0

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
If the aire we are heading for is full on arrival we go to the next one........ Easy

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Close to 8 weeks in France so far this year and have never booked a pitch there. The last trip of 4 weeks we used aires for all but one night.
As others have said, don't over plan, just go with the flow and enjoy.

Richard.

Upvote 0

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Vendome.. :)
It's one of our regular stopovers along that route.
It has free parking places but also a municipal campsite, next to park and swimming pool. Lovely town to walk around.
Only downside is maybe road noise from the nearby N10.
Anyway. here is a link for the site..Broken Link Removed

Prior to this, there is a lovely aire at Marboue.
Now that looks like a nice place for a stop next year, thank you.

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Parc verger in champagnac la rivière is on the way

I am sure Franc and Lisa would welcome you and you will have a lovely peaceful few days

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Absolutely.

First time we went over to France in a motorhome we were novices - only our second ever trip in it! It was in September. We booked the first week's campsites in advance. When we got there we realised that they were all half empty. Second week we were much more relaxed and just turned up on the campsite. By the last night we got really adventurous and just found an Aire! We have been to France, Spain and Portugal, using mainly Aires and some campsites, since then and have never booked anything except the tunnel (and even then we booked the return only 3 days in advance)! Next spring (we hope) we will do the same in Italy.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Now that looks like a nice place for a stop next year, thank you.

Outside the campsite are 6 Motorhome bays. All marked and free overnight plus there is a huge gravel car park that is often used when busy. no facilities but Marbou is only 20 mins up the N10 and easy to pop in there to empty toilet, dump grey if needed.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Hi everyone , in June we will traveling from Calais to a site in Saint Emilion but like to break the journey about half way down for a couple of days could anybody suggest a site for us to stop at
One place leaps out at me as being about half way, and that is Le Mans, however I think the race actually happens in June so you'd need to check. Because of the race there are lots of campsites in that area.

As we are complete novices at European camping is there any thing we need to know before we set off .thanks
Drive on the right! :D
Being more serious for a moment, driving on the continent is much less stressful than England, depending on your route, you will have to use toll roads. Most are the type where you take a ticket, and then when you leave the toll road, you insert the ticket and pay the toll. The lanes are clearly marked as to which you need to be in, but if in doubt, follow an HGV.
On extended gradients, many of the French roads have a crawler lane, the French drivers will get very cross if you don't use it!
Try not to use the petrol stations on the motorway, as in England they a hugely more expensive than the ones off of the motorway.
You must carry: a warning triangle, Hi-Vis vests for each occupant, and they must be in a place where you can get to them, replacement bulbs. First aid kit, although not compulsory is advisable. Your lights should be adapted to point the other way, regardless of whether you intend to drive at night or not. Lot's of people ignore that one and have no issues at all! :D
I Don't know your van weight, but if over 3.5t there are extended sections on the motorways where you are limited to 50mph (80kph).
That's all I can think of for now, enjoy your trip

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Being more serious for a moment, driving on the continent is much less stressful than England, depending on your route, you will have to use toll roads. Most are the type where you take a ticket, and then when you leave the toll road, you insert the ticket and pay the toll. The lanes are clearly marked as to which you need to be in, but if in doubt, follow an HGV.
Not recommended. Many of the HGVs use the automatic toll tag. And they go in the "tag only" lanes. Not much fun reversing out of one of those because they will not let you through - from personal experience. Do not go into a lane with only the orange "t" showing!!

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Not recommended. Many of the HGVs use the automatic toll tag. And they go in the "tag only" lanes. Not much fun reversing out of one of those because they will not let you through - from personal experience. Do not go into a lane with only the orange "t" showing!!
Do you know I thought that after I posted! :D Important tip, stay out of the orange "t" lanes :D

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back