LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We didn't renew as we simply weren't getting the use to justify the annual fee and have found no shortage of good independent sites. Not had a call - they obviously don't think we are worth it :)
As a web developer by trade I found the website and search facility abysmmal - I did tell them, maybe that's why they haven't called :unsure:

Been a CAMC member since 2019, generally can't fault their sites you know what you are getting when you book, with the memebrs discounts etc i just about cover my membership with savings i make - mainly mountain warehouse!! :happy:
However I'm finding that the dyanmic pricing they are using and the awful app and website update are begining to p me off big time. I've been in IT for 30+ years and feel i know my way around , but I can't believe how unfriendly it is to use and having to constantly wait for it to catch up and refresh the page so you can see the info and why oh why won't it default to your prefered options when you log on ie 2 adults Autosleeper Nuevo etc rather than having to input it each time to check prices etc - really frustating when it keeps crashing as well. - I've now resulting in planning my trips by using the club map to find the sites and then checking prices online, so much better for my blood pressure
The prices seem to have increased a fair bit and with the dyanmic pricing you can check one week and then again a few weeks later and the pitch price has increase and there is low availabilty, can understand this approach if you are Ryan Air or Easy Jet but this is a Club for the members!!
I think about 35-40% of our bookings this year are on private sites or CL's, there are still a couple of main sites we use on a regular basis as the location etc suits us - but with the increasing prices who know for how much longer.
I have given my feedback to CAMC via email and git the standard "thank you for you email . . ." response but have heard nothing since
The thing that REALLY annoys me about the website is the booking calendar. I have to keep scrolling to the top to see which (mis-matched) day corresponds to which date.

Surely that’s not rocket science!

Feb 12, 2021
Wales
Funster No
MH
Pilote P746C
Exp
4 years
Decided this year not to renew CAMC, their pitch prices are extortionate and now they are starting to restrict pitch availability by installing glamping pods.

I can’t be the only one as I got a call this morning from them to persuade me to renew. Unfortunately I didn’t catch the call, just on voicemail, as I’d have liked to explain why while sitting in a free Aire in the south of France. 😀
Me too for the same reason. Just spent 6wks in SW France paying between 13 and 20 euros for fully serviced pitches. Last night in UK before shuttle was 40 quid.

Jun 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We were at Hillhead in Brixham last weekend. We originally looked at going at the end of March when they wanted £55.30 a night - I don't think so. We booked for Thursday - Sunday which is during half term week and the weekend was Torbay air show at 20% off because they are clearly struggling. The site was more than half empty - I've never seen it so empty and we've been there in November! By the time we left it was practically deserted. It's a lovely site with a brilliant dog walk but seriously - what they want to charge is ridiculous.

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
Decided this year not to renew CAMC, their pitch prices are extortionate and now they are starting to restrict pitch availability by installing glamping pods.

I can’t be the only one as I got a call this morning from them to persuade me to renew. Unfortunately I didn’t catch the call, just on voicemail, as I’d have liked to explain why while sitting in a free Aire in the south of France. 😀
Surely somebody on the CMC management must realist that Caravan and Motorhome club means we like to travel and we have motorhomes and caravans to stay in. so why are they putting up Glamping pods, Tents and Huts on travelling pitches. I will not renew my membership at the end of the year.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Surely somebody on the CMC management must realist that Caravan and Motorhome club means we like to travel and we have motorhomes and caravans to stay in. so why are they putting up Glamping pods, Tents and Huts on travelling pitches. I will not renew my membership at the end of the year.
You’d think so, but I seriously believe they fundamentally don’t understand the habits and needs of motorhomers. Judge them on their actions not the nonsense in their media.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 18, 2022
Staffordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 254
Exp
4 years
CAMC have sorted us out re; overseas sites now for two years....very good at that. People have to speak with their feet, footfall etc. Stop going to their UK overpriced, under resourced and totally inadequate sites (based on continental ones) Been in Portugal and Spain now for 4 weeks. At Kiko Park, Oliva as I write this.....check it out... Staying on sites from the CAMC Eurpoean Brochure. All excellent with, restaurants, pools, cafes, bars, hairdressers, spas, takeaways, fully serviced huge pitches, ablution blocks that don't close to be cleaned (because they are being cleaned all day long !) constant hot water to showers, total lack of signage telling you what you can and cannot do (back to common sense stuff) Friendly, welcoming staff (not wardens) & not grumpy people that have no idea whatsoever about customer service.....after all, we, the members pay their wages.....not coming round to check that your not parked/pitched one inch over your allotted space.
If we don't use CAMC sites, what will they do??????????????????

Jan 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV Motorhome
Exp
Since 2017

Hi, total agree. Pitch prices do at face value look competitive, until you start adding the extras, like cost per adult and various other add ons, £40- £50 a night is not unheard of!

Jul 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido 924F

May 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Legend
I am getting married in September and have booked a site close to the venue. We will only be staying the night before and the night two days after. I asked if I could park the campervan somewhere on site whilst we got married for a reduced fee. I was told I had to pay the full £50 the night fee even if the van was empty and not on a pitch.
No customer service and extortionate rates. I'm writing this from a 5 star amazing site in France for £17 a night.

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
I had an email yesterday....all the 20% off this and extra £5 per person off at this, new guided tours blah blah
Then I found a linky to a survey.... And the survey was fishing for current habits... Are you travelling in 2023... List of options as club sites, CL, other club / independent, overseas etc ... On club sites I ticked the "do not plan to use" option for 2023 & filled in the comments box .... Obvs pitch prices new booking system were included in my comments....the button is easy to miss but the more who fill it in the better

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hey Neil S maybe I shouldn't tell them but ............

Temperature up to high 20's.:whew:
Water still brrrrrrrrrr!:whatthe:
Site nigh on full. (We'll need to stop expounding the charms of D&G!)
Mix of caravans vs motorhomes \ campervans c40/60%.
Beer in the pub as good as usual!:clap:
Wardens top class. (and their cover due in today as good as!)(y)
OK not cheap @£29/night but for C&MC.........
Now what was it that Judith Chalmers used to say? Don't you "Wish you were here!"(y)

2023-06-08 - 01.jpg 2023-06-08 - 02.jpg

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Thinking of using them to plan a winter stay in Spain using their hosted breaks, ferry/tunnel discounts and travel insurance. They also do sites to and fro so they advertise.
Anyone done all this?
Do it yourself , it’s so much cheaper and of course importantly more flexible . This year we thought we would go to Southern Spain for 2 months but the weather was abysmal in Spain so changed our minds last minute and went to Portugal where the weather was much better.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
The ONLY reason I retained my membership is the CL network but I managed to tour for years without being a member and next year will revert to that position.

Tude

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Easy this it makes more money for the greedy barstools they have become. There nearly at the stage where people will say that’s just too expensive

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
I've just completed their survey.

My main points are the "club" should be for our benefit, not a cash cow with wardens excessively controlling our behaviour.
It's supposed to be a holiday and it's supposed to be fun.

I hope we are all grown up enough to show respect to others - I don't find other clubs/sites/overseas sites less respectful.

It's noticeable that the wardens don't "walk the ship" in a friendly, "Hi, how are you? need anything" sort of way.

Much more likely to frown at a MH 2" offset from the (now double) pegs, or yell at a driver who has dared to turn off a busy narrow road at 12.50.

Tude

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
If you work for the camc your very well looked after pay pensions and training where they put you up in a hotel for a week etc all needs paying for . Not on my watch I’m afraid there done with me !!

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Do it yourself , it’s so much cheaper and of course importantly more flexible . This year we thought we would go to Southern Spain for 2 months but the weather was abysmal in Spain so changed our minds last minute and went to Portugal where the weather was much better.
I will spend sometime comparing self booking v CMC on sites and ferries/ tunnel and see what transpires.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
I've just completed their survey.

My main points are the "club" should be for our benefit, not a cash cow with wardens excessively controlling our behaviour.
It's supposed to be a holiday and it's supposed to be fun.

I hope we are all grown up enough to show respect to others - I don't find other clubs/sites/overseas sites less respectful.

It's noticeable that the wardens don't "walk the ship" in a friendly, "Hi, how are you? need anything" sort of way.

Much more likely to frown at a MH 2" offset from the (now double) pegs, or yell at a driver who has dared to turn off a busy narrow road at 12.50.
A lot is said about the attitude of CAMC wardens, but personally speaking in over 10 years I’ve not had reason to complain. Clearly some people have, but if wardens want to be rude then so be it, it’s their problem and I certainly won’t let it impact on my plans or enjoyment. All my concerns revolve around high prices and Club strategy, particularly the attitude towards change and disconnect with motorhome members.

Sep 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLi580
Exp
3 Years
Just stayed at the CAMC Site at Broadway cost £94.60 for just 2 nights!!! We moved to another site a lot cheaper. What’s so annoying too is that we don’t use the shower block as use our own facilities, £47.30 for a small amount of electric, top up with fresh water, dump grey and chemical waste. You can get a premier inn when on offer for a night less than we’re paying just for somewhere to park for the night and a few facilities. ALSO another thing that annoys me, Once on our travel stopped at a CAMC site to ask if we could empty the toilet cassette which they flatly refused unless we payed for a night. The CACC Site allow you to park on any of their sites for 4 hours and use all their facilities for just £7. I must admit will now avoid ALL CAMC sites where possible on principle of their exorbitant charges.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
In the end, I relented and renewed simply because there are some lovely sites here in Cornwall that I wanted to stay at.

I,too, have never come across a grumpy warden but then I do put my best Pollyanna smile on when talking people when I am on holiday 😀

I did drive the wrong way round the Looe site yesterday when I filled up with water because it was easier than going out and back in through two barriers and not an eyebrow was even raised 🤣

Jun 6, 2022
Bottesford, Scunthorpe, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
I will be renewing mine purely because I saved double my membership fee by using their 50% ferry discount scheme, down to £185 on the Isle of Wight crossing in August, never use their sites, use pitchup or google maps and find a site in the area I want to go to, oh and to any town/city with a ULEZ your loss, that goes for Wales and it's tourist tax (just like the EU that it wants still be in) as well.

nickq

Free Member
Jun 27, 2016
berkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I've always wondered what the "club" part of CAMC means.
So I looked up some definitions:
"combine with others so as to collect a sum of money for a particular purpose"
This one probably fits the best, who knows what the purpose is these days.

Or: "Clubs are organisations where members have joined together for a particular social, sporting or political purpose and then combined to buy alcohol in bulk as members of the organisation to supply in the club."

New letter to CAMC required:
WHERE HAS ALL THE ALCOHOL GONE?

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
I did drive the wrong way round the Looe site yesterday when I filled up with water because it was easier than going out and back in through two barriers and not an eyebrow was even raised 🤣
Ah, but you forgot to mention that it was 2 o’clock in the morning when you did it, Janine ! ;)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Ah, but you forgot to mention that it was 2 o’clock in the morning when you did it, Janine ! ;)
That’s just reminded me of the only time I did get a polite talking to by a warden and it was at the same site.

We had been down into Looe to see in the New Year - they used to have the most fabulous fireworks, music and fancydress parade.

We got back to the site about 1am and, instead of making a noise getting up onto levelling ramps, we parked sideways on the pitch because it was flatter.

Next morning, warden asked us to park the correct way round. 🤣

Tude

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Just stayed at the CAMC Site at Broadway cost £94.60 for just 2 nights!!! We moved to another site a lot cheaper. What’s so annoying too is that we don’t use the shower block as use our own facilities, £47.30 for a small amount of electric, top up with fresh water, dump grey and chemical waste. You can get a premier inn when on offer for a night less than we’re paying just for somewhere to park for the night and a few facilities. ALSO another thing that annoys me, Once on our travel stopped at a CAMC site to ask if we could empty the toilet cassette which they flatly refused unless we payed for a night. The CACC Site allow you to park on any of their sites for 4 hours and use all their facilities for just £7. I must admit will now avoid ALL CAMC sites where possible on principle of their exorbitant charges.
Sack them 👍

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We got back to the site about 1am and, instead of making a noise getting up onto levelling ramps, we parked sideways on the pitch because it was flatter.

Next morning, warden asked us to park the correct way round. 🤣
You should have moved the pegs when you were parking up!:whistle2::whistle2::whistle2::giggler::giggler::giggler:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I can never understand that, you are paying to rent the pitch, park which way you like.
Don't use sites very often but I just park how I want you don't get stupid rules abroad.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back