CAM BELT DONE strong recommendation.

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by haganap, Feb 9, 2010.

1. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Hi all.
    I have had my Cam belt done today at a local small workshop whom does my MOT as well. I paid £293 including of VAT and this included a complete kit, with pulley wheels as well. He said he wouldn't do the job without changing them as well.

He gave me the belt afterward along with the changed pulleys.

Anyone in the Cheshire/ Stoke area need a job doing from a mechanic you can trust. What I call a real mechanic who treats each customer as if they were his only customer then I reccommend them..

The belt looks sort of OK, but I dont suppose you can ever really tell. I mean its not fraying or anything. :thumb:

Job done, everything ready for leaving for the Alps tomorrow am.:thumb:

2. madbluemad

madbluemad

The cam belt is on my list to be done at the next service/mot which I think is next month.

Have a good time on the mountain haggers. :thumb:

Jim
    :Smile:

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

and i agree with him Paul....

you should never change the belt and not the pully's.

just think how many times they've rotated with nothing more than the inbuilt lube...:Eeek:

4. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

YOU WERE ROBBED
    WEDV'E DONE IT FOR £292.95
    AND DISPOSED OF YOUR OLD PARTS:Doh::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    a Job well done Paul:thumb: Cam Belt Failures take no prisoners:Eeek:

5. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Smile: Our 2004 Swift Suntor 630G had only 11,248 miles on the clock when we bought it last year. I thought it was a GOOD idea to do a FULL service and change all the Belts & Pulleys. It was just as well. Because there was RUST on the Pulleys and Belts where the Motor had been stood idle for long persiods of time. :thumb:

6. haganap

I dont think so Sir,

By my thoughts my bill come to the same as yours would, ie £250 + vat? = £292.95. My being a very generous Motorhomer gave him £293-00 and told him to get himself a beer with the change? do you think that the tip was too little? I mean I know beers cheap in Stoke but now I am beginning to wonder if he thinks I have indeed ripped him off:Nowink::Confused:

7. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

Have booked mine in for an MOT, Service and Belt change next Wednesday (17th), so hopefully we will be ready for the new season.

8. jaygee

jaygee Funster

you should never go by mileage alone that's why most manufacturers reccommend xxxxx miles or xx years whichever soonest - for those that don't do many miles per year.
    Out of interest I was looking at our latest Autodata info and some of the the newer Fords have their belts replaced every 150,000 miles!! Wouldn't trust leaving it that long!

9. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

I don't think there are many MH's that reach the necessary mileage before the elapsed time limit kicks in.

Doug...

10. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

When we bought our MH, Dec 09 it had just short of 14,000 miles on a 2006 Fiat 2.8 .
    We asked about the cam belt , as we had read what could happen if they went.
    We were told that the MH had been fully serviced. If it was needed it would have been done. End of.
    Now , how would you know if it did need doing, what would you look out for?
    Im not mechanicaly minded Wouldnt know where to even look for it.
    But Ralph is, I'll get him to look at the MH. Hes working away and staying in it at the moment. Better to be safe than sorry:Wink:
    Bev

11. haganap

I would more or less say that it will need doing. It hasf not reached its milage I expect I think its 65k for the Ducato (cue papajohn). there is no way a dealer would of done it to air on the side of caution, even a good one.
    SO every 5 years it is meant to be done. Mine is a late 05 (december) . I chose to have it done on the basis that I would not take the risk. Especially after listening to what Geo said about the extreme cold weather we have been having. Add to that that we spend a lot of time heading for the coldest we can get to go skiing and there you have it. :thumb:

12. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Thanks for that , Ill get ralph to get it looked at by our mechanic pal.
    Now go make sure youve packed everything !!
    Bev

13. jaygee

jaygee Funster

You can't tell by just looking at the belt, it could look ok and then go the next day - hence the recommendations. You'll be surpirised the number of vehicles we get being presented for MOT's with the cambelt rattling away - some very lucky escapes and then again quite e few unlucky ones. Most people assume that when they have their car serviced the cambelt is automatically changed - not so, this is an extra job. Some vehicles - renault scenics in particular are quite involved and therefore quite expensive!!
    A couple of years ago we had a mondeo in that had it's cambelt changed at Fords and they had not changed the tensioner, three months down the line the tensioner siezed and wrecked his engine - he went back to Fords and they didn't want to know, they just said the tensioner was OK at the time the belt was changed so it wasn't their fault. This is why we do not fit cambelts only but tensioners as well and in the case of VW's the waterpump is replaced at the same time (their recomendation).

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  14. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i would agree with paul....

Geo said one, which the belt snapped on, that he did recently cost £1300 to rebuild the cylinder head.

£300 to renew the belt and pulley's seems a better option.

as for how would you know...the obvious giveaway is cracking and fraying of the belt and play in the pulley bearings and you really need to remove tension on the belt to check them but at 5 years i would have it done asap.

very cold weather will make the belt more brittle so will probably snap when you first start the engine. still do as much damage as running at 3000rpm though.

15. Blisters

Blisters Read Only Funster

Well Paul I've got to say im Green

no not because of your cambelt, we had ours done last October:thumb:

Not because im feeling a little off colour:cry:

and certainly not because we're enviromentally friendly,:Rofl1:

But of course because your off skiing for a week, and we're not:cry::cry:, I know its our choice, but right know wish we we're coming too

Have a Great time, see you soon

16. david price

david price Read Only Funster

I believe the 160 multijet is a chain and not a belt?Anyone know if this still needs changeing?
    Dave

17. haganap

as I understand it Dave and Im no expert, I think (if it is a chain) the difference is that although it will need changing the intervals is far longer. Not even sure if age would effect it neither. Most cars used to have a chain and the problem was they became quite noisey as they stretched a bit and got slack. However far better a little noise than a big bang:Blush:

18. haganap

Don't be daft, just drop everything and come. :thumb:

19. JJ

JJ Funster

Be careful while you are sliding down wet, white, cold mountains with strips of fibre glass tied to your feet...

...remember you still have the Bizarre Bath Comedy Walk to do...

JJ

20. Patrick

Patrick Read Only Funster

Hi Paul N Nikki, Have a great time, will catch you at newark!

I have the Alde heating guy cumin out next Wed, so all will be warm again soon. The van goes in next week for the bodywork to be sorted out and a re-spray...........don't know what coulor to do it in?

Pat and jan