calorlite bottles

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by calion, Feb 16, 2015.

1. calion

calion

Just bought new (to us) van and found it had 2 of the cylinders that need to be exchanged. What a nuisance this is proving to be. Have had to contact Calor head office, who are doing their best to help, but finding a stockist who is willing to play ball, or indeed who has any stock of these is proving difficult locally.

2. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Try 'Go Outdoors' http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/ - they stock Calorlite and I reckon they'd do the exchange. The bonus is it's easy to check online if they've got stock of Calorlite at any particular branch. Oh, and if you've got one of their discount cards, the gas is a bit cheaper too.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Supply and demand unfortunately.

Calor have a limited supply and it isn't just motorhomers using them.
    There will be far more domestic cabinet heaters using them than Motorhomes.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MichelleRyall

MichelleRyall Funster

Go outdoors will exchange no problem. Did ours last weekend. They like them to be completely empty if possible because of transportation regs.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

I think the issue is regarding the product recall John not shortage of bottles.
    Hence playing ball

• Like Like x 1
  6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I don't think domestic heaters John.. unless there are some numpties around..
    Calorlite is propane .. propane bottles shouldn't be stored or used with indoor domestic heaters

http://www.calor.co.uk/gas-bottles/gas-cylinder-safety/storing-gas-bottles

• Like Like x 1
  7. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

In fairness it is only a nuisance if you want them done FOC, if you just take them in and pay for filled replacements I doubt you will have any problems

As you say finding the cylinders was a bonus it is not really a loss to you, had they already been swapped and empty you would be paying for the refills anyway

anyway until they are refilled you cant use it, so I would just pay up and get out in it

edit - just re-read OP, I have made the assumption you are trying to get free exchanges on the recall, if wrong I apologise for the assumption

• Like Like x 1
  8. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Calors terms are a free full replacement.
    calorlite.JPG

I have met a tugger who was charged full price by one retailer because the bottle was empty. That is simply theft! as the retailer will get credit from Calor for recall bottles.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  9. calion

calion

Thanks for the replies everybody. I need to exchange them because they are part of the recall and could be unsafe. There does seem to be a shortage of these cylinders, as 1000's were returned and are only beginning to filter through to distributors again now, once they've been tested. My issue has been certain outlet refusing to do the exchange, even though they should have. Obviously I want to make sure all the appliances in my latest van are working, so that if there is a problem I can get back to the seller in reasonable time. Both cylinders were empty.