Calls to prevent lay-by camping in Cornwall (1 Viewer)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
best not use the blue chemicals anyway.
far better to use a little vinegar. hee hee.
but please come and spend all your money .we like money .then we can go off for 6 months abroad in winter .
as an ex sewage tanker driver where theres shit theres money . so come on down spend even more . in fact spend lots .:thumb::ROFLMAO:

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Cornwall

Thats right NOT CORNWALL!!!

Tell me where you live, and I' ll come , with several hundred other F*****ts and dump my S**T in your back yard!

Thers's not much chance of me going to Cornwall the natives aren't very friendly, its easier for me to go to france and much less hassle.
We do get motorhomes free camping here in Skeg probably about 200 yards from where we live and I've never felt threatened, or seen any evidence of any dumping of black waste and I certainly wouldn't get my Knickers in a twist over them

Alan

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Slight digression but I was down in Bude with the hound and where we were walking there were two tea shops. One had a no dogs sign and was completely empty the other said dogs welcome and was 80% full. It seems odd that a business depending on tourism should apparently attempt to keep them away.
This is not dissimilar to the good lady who is trying to get people to stay on her site, her ludicrous prices will discourage many potential customers, after all there are many CLs/CS around there at a fraction of the price.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You can harp on all you like!, BUT it's Cornwall,. Marazion has problems every year with Wild Campers. NOT ALL, BUT!!! [HI]a lot dump their **** illegally ,and stay in that lay by for weeks![/HI]

The locals are peed off! Yeh! they blow there horns in the middle of the night, to wake these cheap skates up!!"!

Q The self rightious to abuse!

Yeh!! I sincerely hope the Cornwall Council Bans all wild camping in Cornwall!

I am really P***ed off walking into the Loos at the Lizard, and other places , to wade thro litres of Bloo!!!

Q the up country free loaders to abuse!!

Q the tales of tyre slashing, Rape, pillage, Wrecking, driving by honking, etc etc etc

Who Cares!

As posted earlier
It might be helpful if local people could obtain photographs of people littering and disposing of waste illegally. That way the police/landowners could mount a sound case against the offenders.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Just booked in to Carynick near Newquay for £25 a night in a few weeks, all singing and dancing site for RV's. so their not all silly prices.

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Slight digression but I was down in Bude with the hound and where we were walking there were two tea shops. One had a no dogs sign and was completely empty the other said dogs welcome and was 80% full. It seems odd that a business depending on tourism should apparently attempt to keep them away.
This is not dissimilar to the good lady who is trying to get people to stay on her site, her ludicrous prices will discourage many potential customers, [HI]after all there are many CLs/CS around there at a fraction of the price[/HI].

but not as cheap as a layby .. which only reinforces the argument that there is no need to camp in a layby.. but no matter how cheap a site or CL is, there are those, for whatever reason, refuse to use sites .. the reason given by some is they don't want to feel 'fenced in'.. this is total nonsense , are they really saying it's nicer sitting in a dusty noisy layby .. ? No, what they are saying is that it's cheaper.. ie free

I'm all for responsible off site camping in the proper setting, but pitching up on a layby is neither wild nor beautiful.. I've done it when I had no other option, both in the UK and abroad, .. but never planned or by choice and never for longer than it took to get a meal and few hours kip before hitting the road again..

This is not Portugal, Spain or Scotland where there are thousands of places to camp off-site responsibly and bother no one.. this is a holiday town that is sick to the back teeth of motorhomers using car parking as a camp site and the locals have every right to make a noise and get something done about it..

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
50 vans

there is no way you could get 50 motorhomes on the marazion strip , maybe 50 vw vans from surfers, i have stayed there once for one night and the view is superb over the mount , if there was a overnight charge i would pay it and would not dream of dumping any waste or rubbish in such a superb spot , there is a car park in marazion on the front that does charge for overnight motorhomes and this is popular as well , the lay by a mile or so towards helston has caravans from casual labour , working at local farms parked up most of the summer and i would question where their waste is dumped . i posted previously how shocked i was when 2 fairly new large motorhomes emptied all their crap out of vans and drove off next to where i was parked , also had this in euro disney with a french plated small van , next time i will photo them , i and many other people love cornwall and a lot of other uk spots and do not want it ruinned by the few arseholes out there . will be in cornwall as soon as we have wrapped up the present work load and hope to get at least 3 weeks down on the beaches with local friends if the weather gets a bit better , we will support the local community and pay for all we use :Cool:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
i think they're having a laugh
the average family of 4 with 2 dogs hookup and awning £32.45 per night and a £35 per week or part week deposit to reserve a pitch then paid in full 28 days before arrival

Boscrege is ideally situated for touring West Cornwall. We have 50 level, well drained pitches around a 3 1/2 acre field and a further 9 pitches in a small well sheltered paddock. Many pitches have mains electrical hook-ups if required, water and waste points are conveniently placed around the fields, Please state on booking form which preffered.

The modern toilet facilities are well maintained and frequently cleaned, they offer FREE showers FREE hot water, shaver point, hair dryer etc. There is also FREE hot water in the washing up room and a microwave for use by campers, We also have a laundry room with washing machines/dyers coin operated, use of an iron/board, free use of freezer and a designated drying area.

you wouldn't get charged as much as that for a Haven rip off site with all entertainment and kids stuff.

Don't silly, just got a quote for the daughter, 2 adults 1 child 7 nights £448 and that includes a 7% saving, that's for a 30' Rv. Its the same price for a 7m motorhome.

Ian

Kayold

Free Member
Oct 23, 2011
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year M/H, caravans 20+ yrs
Ian, try online booking 7 nights starting Friday, a bit cheaper than Sat arrivals, just priced 7 nights, 4 adults, awning, on europitch for larger M/Hs and was £325 for this month. I suppose all sites have varying rates, but if you need school hols next to the beach with pool etc and want Rory then it certainly costs more than the local truck stop!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Kay that's still more than the £32.45 quoted by ABA. Your quote works out at £46.42, my quote was from the Haven at Kings Lynn in August. I paid £60 per night at the Haven in Burnham-on-Sea at Easter in 09 and that was a discounted price.:roflmto:

Ian

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
she also moaned in france

unless i am mistaken dear suzy who preaches so hard about supporting the local community does not like to pay for a ticket at a car park on the beach front close to her campsite when she pulls up late at night with music blaring to annoy any motorhomes parked there legally with tickets on , despite it being privatly owned by a local person who is a motorhomer , i also understand she had a campsite in france previously and campaigned with the local french authorities to stop wild and aire camping as it affected her campsite income ,i appologise if wrong but dont think i am as met her a few years ago in said car park if i had to stay on sites without the view i wanted i would sell my mh , aire holiday park st ives stunning toilet block, wonderful view , excellect staff but probably a bit dear , lots more mh freindly sites out there to use , if it wasnt for the abuse of the few we would all be far more welcome , jamaica inn will allow you to overnight if eating there, conisford lake also good spot en route, the list is still plentiful :thumb: do we need people who moan about us or people who get up and make us want to be there :Cool:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
The last time we went to Cornwall was as tuggers, many moons ago.
Although staying on sites and paying through the nose, I found the locals generally unfriendly and off hand.
The impression I got was that they wanted your money, but not your presence. It seemed to be a case of "smile...take your money...switch smile off...go away so we can take someone else's money."
Even giving directions appeared to be too much trouble.

Nice place, not nice people.
Not a place I'd hurry back to, whether wilding or being ripped off on a site.

There will always be those who spoil things for everyone else, just as there will always be the knobs who sound horns to disturb folk etc. because they dont want anyone to get anything for free.
Both sets of knobs need sorting out.

All that said, the same applies here as anywhere else:
If you dont like it or dont like the way they treat their paying guests...dont go there.
All tourists, even wild campers buy stuff in fuel stations / shops / attractions etc.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Part of the motorhome fun , for me, is sightseeing , moving on stay a night and off again. I've just been booking a trip in Cornwall ( where I have booked mainly small sites ) and when I called many of the sites refused to accomodate for one night and some wanted me to book for a week. I am keeping the second week clear and possibly do some wildcamping at nice spots I see in the first week.

well done do not get ripped off in another rip off Britain scam by site owners
we pay road tax insurance and should be able to park where we want so long as we do not become an obstruction

why should we forced to pay ££s to park on wet grass
we need a larger voice to stand against this type of discrimination

name and address withheld :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

yours anonymous

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Kay that's still more than the £32.45 quoted by ABA. Your quote works out at £46.42, my quote was from the Haven at Kings Lynn in August. I paid £60 per night at the Haven in Burnham-on-Sea at Easter in 09 and that was a discounted price.:roflmto:
Ian

Ollly you do seam to throw money away £60 per night even a bad B&B gives you a full English in that sort of price :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I cringe at £7 per night :Eeek:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
[HI]we pay road tax insurance and should be able to park where we want so long as we do not become an obstruction

why should we forced to pay ££s to park on wet grass [/HI]

yours anonymous
In the words of another member.....What a load of old Twaddle:Wacko::Wacko::Wacko:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
we pay road tax insurance and should be able to park where we want so long as we do not become an obstruction

why should we forced to pay ££s to park on wet grass

yours anonymous

I should be very careful suggesting you should be allowed to park off site so long as you do not become an obstruction as you pay tax and insurance for your vehicle. You wouldn't want anyone to suggest you are being inconsiderate would you!:RollEyes:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, just got back from a ludgven parish council meeting .
the campsite owners were there as well. the council are worried that toilet waste might be being tipped but not worried if its in the public toilet.
i put forward the eu directive on parking as tocamping . it was noted . the council are going to monitor it awile longer but it does seem like some sort of parking restriction .will or might be implemented on the stretch of that road . it is the roadside not exactly a layby .you can see it ob google its right oposite st michaels mount between the old station house and marazion. right by the sea wall.
there was it seems been plans to turn it into a cycle way but that seems to have been put aside due to locals not wanting it .
recomemdations to cornwall council to implement the scheme if they can.
the council dont want to frighten off tourists but would like to please the campsite owners as well if they can.
unfortunately this summer as been a disaster here and i think else where is similar.
thought i would go and hear what they had to say. i did mention free aires but was told not the time and place at the moment .
cheers alan.

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
hi, just got back from a ludgven parish council meeting .
the campsite owners were there as well. the council are worried that toilet waste might be being tipped but not worried if its in the public toilet.
i put forward the eu directive on parking as tocamping . it was noted . the council are going to monitor it awile longer but it does seem like some sort of parking restriction .will or might be implemented on the stretch of that road . it is the roadside not exactly a layby .you can see it ob google its right oposite st michaels mount between the old station house and marazion. right by the sea wall.
there was it seems been plans to turn it into a cycle way but that seems to have been put aside due to locals not wanting it .
recomemdations to cornwall council to implement the scheme if they can.
the council dont want to frighten off tourists but would like to please the campsite owners as well if they can.
unfortunately this summer as been a disaster here and i think else where is similar.
thought i would go and hear what they had to say. i did mention free aires but was told not the time and place at the moment .
cheers alan.

This is something I am going to bring up at our next Community Council meeting and ask the Councillors to take it forward. They always say they are trying to attract tourists to the area but I don't know of any designated MH spaces in car parks in the area. Any tips on how to put this to them to maximise the chance of the response I want would be welcome.:thumb:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I should be very careful suggesting you should be allowed to park off site so long as you do not become an obstruction as you pay tax and insurance for your vehicle. You wouldn't want anyone to suggest you are being inconsiderate would you!:RollEyes:
pull your head out from where the sun dont shine

it works allover Europe and in Scotland your not a greedy site operator are you :Eeek::Eeek:

i will say what i think you do not have to read it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Sarcasm

pull your head out from where the sun dont shine

it works allover Europe and in Scotland your not a greedy site operator are you :Eeek::Eeek:

i will say what i think you do not have to read it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I rather think you completely misunderstood my comment which was tongue in cheek towards another contributor. In fact I totally agree with your sentiments.:Smile:

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've had a reply from Councillor Nicholas in which she tells me that a number of people have provided photographic evidence of people acting in an anti-social manner.

As she says, as always it is the ones who are doing it who give everyone a bad name.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back