Calls to prevent lay-by camping in Cornwall (1 Viewer)

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
Campsite owners in the area say though the people parking in lay-bys along Marazion are not breaking the law, the practice is ruining their businesses.

Suzy Watts, who owns Boscrege Caravan Park near Helston, has asked the parish council to change the parking rules.

The council said it was considering its options.

Mrs Watts said her park is about 60% down on the summer bookings, leading to thousands of pounds in lost revenue.

Does she not think the weather might have something to do with the situation, or the prices charged by many sites?
What next? Cafe owners wanting to ban packed lunches?
Whilst I disagree with parking which inconveniences others the call to ban it is too draconian.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Huh, it's like Jim saying "stop free forums, I'm not making enough money, people should pay".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Part of the motorhome fun , for me, is sightseeing , moving on stay a night and off again. I've just been booking a trip in Cornwall ( where I have booked mainly small sites ) and when I called many of the sites refused to accomodate for one night and some wanted me to book for a week. I am keeping the second week clear and possibly do some wildcamping at nice spots I see in the first week.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I wonder if the charges at her site are putting people off?

For example:
Mains electric hook-up, charged at ...................................£4.50 per/night
Dogs, per dog, charged at ..............................................£2.00 per/night

welshcowboy

Free Member
Jul 6, 2012
flint
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
1 year
it will never happen

it makes me laugh reading that article they would never be able to ban overnight parking because what about us hgv drivers who have to find somewere to park over night we have no choice but to use laybys etc because of our driving hours so if they ban motorhomes they will have to ban us and that will never happen staying in a motorhome in a layby overnight or wildcamping is just exactlly the same as staying in a truck,,,
if they didnt charge stupid prices and stupid extras like price per child or dog then more people would use proper sites,,

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
not sure we would . dont really like sites . strangely enough if you live in cornwall you may never know about all this . nobody really cares . only a hand full of the locals in any district worry about it . if i hadnt looked on here i wouldnt have known it had kicked off again . same thing every year .

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
it makes me laugh reading that article they would never be able to ban overnight parking because what about us hgv drivers who have to find somewere to park over night we have no choice but to use laybys etc because of our driving hours so if they ban motorhomes they will have to ban us and that will never happen staying in a motorhome in a layby overnight or wildcamping is just exactlly the same as staying in a truck,,,(snip)

Not so. When TROs (whether for on or off road parking) are drafted by local authorities they will generally take into account the fact that HGV drivers have restrictions placed upon them which don't apply to other drivers. That is why some TROs ban all overnight parking but several TROs ban motorhomes but not HGVs.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The problem is not overnight parking, it is freeloaders who use laybys as camp sites and stay for days or weeks on end.. .. so don't blame locals for complaining, blame the selfish offenders..

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
it is a problem. My Mum walks her dogs every day in Freshwater West in Pembrokeshire. She tells me there are an increasing number of Motorhomes parked in one of the small car parks. They park across 4 parking bays and leave a load of litter.

She gave one of them what for she tells me::bigsmile:

The National Trust used to patrol the area but have stopped and seem disinterested.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
The problem is not overnight parking, it is freeloaders who use laybys as camp sites and stay for days or weeks on end.. .. so don't blame locals for complaining, blame the selfish offenders..

This is the problem with running a motor home on a shoestring. You use your holiday pay to fill it up with food and fuel from Asda before leaving. Then with nothing left in the purse for camp site fees or any cash to spend, you want your destination “Cornwall in this case”, to support you throughout your 2 week holiday. Free water, free waste disposal free parking, free entertainment free free free. Nice while it lasts but the local businesses get the hump and all considerate motorhomers will suffer.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It might be helpful if local people could obtain photographs of people littering and disposing of waste illegally. That way the police/landowners could mount a sound case against the offenders.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
This is the problem with running a motor home on a shoestring.(snip)

Or, to put it another way, somebody else's shoestring :Smile:

As we've discussed before, there are plenty of people who camp off site but do so in a considerate manner without causing problems for anyone else. It is annoying that others care nothing for anyone but themselves - but that occurs in all walks of life, of course.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Where we lived on a narrow road, near to the Peninne way, we occasionally got an odd motorhome staying for an odd night or two. Sometimes there were two, invariably responsible people walking a particular stretch of the Peninne Way, as far as I know no one ever objected, why should they.

If there was regularly five or six vans there then I know the village would be up in arms and signs would go up.

However a local farmer toiled considerably with the local authorities to open a small camp site and was refused each time usually on the grounds of the road was too narrow for such a facility and of course the usual one of it being a SSI area.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Exageration

I read the press story about this and it strikes me that no one has as yet picked up on some obvious exaggeration. The poor owner of Boscrege Caravan Park say their bookings are down 60%

Extract

"Mrs Watts said: "Last week I was horrified to see more than 50 camper vans, parked up in the afternoon, all camping free of charge.

"We went back on Thursday and they were all still there. It's unfair for businesses trying to earn a living down here."

Su Nicolas, the councillor for Marazion, said she had been involved in discussions about the issue for more than 18 months, because of environmental implications.

She said: "I do have a great deal of sympathy with all the campsite owners in the area.

"These people are disposing of waste on the beach and on the RSPB site. We have had about 30 complaints from members of the public."

The site in question has 60 touring pitches, that includes spaces for caravans and tents. Even using a generous guess that would probably mean that when fully booked they have perhaps 30 or so motorhomes on the site. Mrs Watts claims she saw 50 vans parked up in the afternoon, all camping free of charge. What this lady does not know is whether they were just parked for the day or staying overnight. To claim that this is the cause of her 60% less bookings is stretching the imagination a long long way.

The bottom line for her is revealed in her quote, " It's unfair for businesses trying to earn a living down here." I suggest what she means is she thinks they should al be on her site paying her, even though she does not know if they are daytime or overnight campers. True, she says she went back and they were all still there, but this claim is open to question. Were they the same motorhomes, does she provide photographic evidence, I doubt it.

We read that, "Su Nicolas, the councillor for Marazion, said she had been involved in discussions about the issue for more than 18 months, because of environmental implications." I would not be too surprised to learn that one of the people she is having discussions with is the bold Mrs Watts. The claim that "These people are disposing of waste on the beach and on the RSPB site. We have had about 30 complaints from members of the public." is dubious, how do these complaining members of the public know that the cause of he waste is the motor homers, do they watch them deposit litter etc and then follow them back to their motorhomes. I doubt it,

There is probably a litter/waste problem which could be picnickers, motor homers or anyone visiting the area and to lay the blame without evidence totally at the feet of motor homers is unfair and wrong. The truth may be that there is a litter problem not being addressed by the Council, are there enough litter bins, signage etc. Do Council workers regularly visit the area to remove litter or empty bins?

Reading between the lines there are obviously people parking motorhomes "wild" in the area but I suspect not nearly as many as Mrs Watts suggests. Some may be just there for the day but even those who stay overnight should no be forced to go onto a site because the local site owners want their money and campaign, sometimes using dubious claims, to outlaw parking or sleeping anywhere else than on their site in order to get it.

It seems to me that motorhomes which are parked either for the day or night without causing inconvenience to anyone using the local area should be left in peace to do as they wish. On the other hand, if there is a real local problem, of whatever nature and not simply invented or exaggerated because of individual business finances, but genuinely attributed to motorhomes and their use, then it should be addressed by sensible evidenced debate unencumbered by one sided entrenched views or exaggerated claims which simply pitch people against one another and achieve nothing.

This is, after all a free country, or at least it was the last time I looked.

Last edited:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i think they're having a laugh
the average family of 4 with 2 dogs hookup and awning £32.45 per night and a £35 per week or part week deposit to reserve a pitch then paid in full 28 days before arrival

Boscrege is ideally situated for touring West Cornwall. We have 50 level, well drained pitches around a 3 1/2 acre field and a further 9 pitches in a small well sheltered paddock. Many pitches have mains electrical hook-ups if required, water and waste points are conveniently placed around the fields, Please state on booking form which preffered.

The modern toilet facilities are well maintained and frequently cleaned, they offer FREE showers FREE hot water, shaver point, hair dryer etc. There is also FREE hot water in the washing up room and a microwave for use by campers, We also have a laundry room with washing machines/dyers coin operated, use of an iron/board, free use of freezer and a designated drying area.

you wouldn't get charged as much as that for a Haven rip off site with all entertainment and kids stuff.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I read the press story about this and it strikes me that no one has as yet picked up on some obvious exaggeration. The poor owner of Boscrege Caravan Park say their bookings are down 60%

Extract

"Mrs Watts said: "Last week I was horrified to see more than 50 camper vans, parked up in the afternoon, all camping free of charge.

"We went back on Thursday and they were all still there. It's unfair for businesses trying to earn a living down here."

Su Nicolas, the councillor for Marazion, said she had been involved in discussions about the issue for more than 18 months, because of environmental implications.

She said: "I do have a great deal of sympathy with all the campsite owners in the area.

"These people are disposing of waste on the beach and on the RSPB site. We have had about 30 complaints from members of the public."

The site in question has 60 touring pitches, that includes spaces for caravans and tents. Even using a generous guess that would probably mean that when fully booked they have perhaps 30 or so motorhomes on the site. Mrs Watts claims she saw 50 vans parked up in the afternoon, all camping free of charge. What this lady does not know is whether they were just parked for the day or staying overnight. To claim that this is the cause of her 60% less bookings is stretching the imagination a long long way.

The bottom line for her is revealed in her quote, " It's unfair for businesses trying to earn a living down here." I suggest what she means is she thinks they should al be on her site paying her, even though she does not know if they are daytime or overnight campers. True, she says she went back and they were all still there, but this claim is open to question. Were they the same motorhomes, does she provide photographic evidence, I doubt it.

We read that, "Su Nicolas, the councillor for Marazion, said she had been involved in discussions about the issue for more than 18 months, because of environmental implications." I would not be too surprised to learn that one of the people she is having discussions with is the bold Mrs Watts. The claim that "These people are disposing of waste on the beach and on the RSPB site. We have had about 30 complaints from members of the public." is dubious, how do these complaining members of the public know that the cause of he waste is the motor homers, do they watch them deposit litter etc and then follow them back to their motorhomes. I doubt it,

There is probably a litter/waste problem which could be picnickers, motor homers or anyone visiting the area and to lay the blame without evidence totally at the feet of motor homers is unfair and wrong. The truth may be that there is a litter problem not being addressed by the Council, are there enough litter bins, signage etc. Do Council workers regularly visit the area to remove litter or empty bins?

Reading between the lines there are obviously people parking motorhomes "wild" in the area but I suspect not nearly as many as Mrs Watts suggests. Some may be just there for the day but even those who stay overnight should no be forced to go onto a site because the local site owners want their money and campaign, sometimes using dubious claims, to outlaw parking or sleeping anywhere else than on their site in order to get it.

It seems to me that motorhomes which are parked either for the day or night without causing inconvenience to anyone using the local area should be left in peace do do as they wish. On the other hand, if there is a real local problem, of whatever nature and not simply invented or exaggerated because of individual business finances, but genuinely attributed to motorhomes and their use, then it should be addressed by sensible evidenced debate unencumbered by one sided entrenched views or exaggerated claims which simply pitch people against one another and achieve nothing.

[HI]This is, after all a free country, or at least it was the last time I looked.[/HI]

Free Country..........you would think so by the actions of some campers. :Cool:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have no time for people who dump waste illegally but, at the same time I do not like to see people criticised when they are acting within the law. I sent an e-mail to Councillor Nicholas last night asking whether the complaints received are accompanied by photographic evidence (i.e. proof) or are simply anecdotal. I also questioned whether lay-by camping has an effect on caravan site bookings and pointed out that spending in other local businesses might suffer should a complete ban be put in place and suggested that Cornwall Council might like to follow the examples of others and provide low-cost overnight facilities.

I sent (as a member) a second message to the C&CC pointing out that the statement attributed to their representative was inaccurate - if there is no TRO in place and the parking laws are complied with then people are doing nothing illegal so it is inaccurate to say "Strictly speaking they shouldn't be doing it."

Yes, if there is a problem then a solution is needed but, as iandsm says, it has to be as a result of a balanced discussion.

bigfish

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Eastleigh, Hants
Funster No
Exp
8 years, but had caravans & Tents before that
Seems to me that there is a lot of if, nots and maybes about this one, it seems to raise its head on here but only a few have anything positive to say about it, obviously we all have our own oppinions, and nobody wants to lose a facility / area such as this.

The link below will give you the chance of giving your opinion as from the BBC report there is a meeting on the 8th August, i have just sent what in MY opinion could be done to solve this once and for all and keeping all parties happyish.

Seems to me that an Aire would be the answer, keeps the town happy being able to control the overnight parking, as they could maybe have no over nighting outside of the Aire.
The camp sites may pickup the people who have to move on and if there is a problem with litter any profits could be spent on more bins.

Also the whole area must stop trying to crimanalise us and remember that without tourist of all types, in and out of season, as lots of us love Cornwall not only in the summer,then they really would feel the cost of us not pulling over in our choosen mode of transport and spending our hard earnt with them.

Only an idea of course but surely given a chance it is far better to try and make a positive from this then it is for every one to keep bi---ing,and moneing like hell if we were to be baned for what is probably the actions of a very few irresponcible tw---s.

Broken Link Removed

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The link below will give you the chance of giving your opinion as from the BBC report there is a meeting on the 8th August,

The link didn't work for me but the Contact link at the foot of the Broken Link Removed. No doubt the discussions at the meeting on 8th August will inform the decision making process (so all constructive comments will probably be welcome) but the decision itself will be made by Cornwall Council as the authority responsible for roads.

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Holiday Resorts

As in most resorts us oldies retire there and then complain about the holiday makers with there motorhomes and noisy kids leaviing rubbish everywhere.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Gray B

Free Member
Jan 13, 2012
Evesham
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Topaz
Exp
Since 2010
Hi folks.

We were there about a week ago for 1 night.
2 French vans
2 Dutch Vans
1 German van
And last of all 4 uk vans.

50 I don't fink so!

Oh and 4 walkers crisps HGVs.

Cheers for now Gray.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
On Thursday afternoon we hope to (off-site) camp at the lake at Pego Altar near Alacacer. There have been free loading, off site "tossers" parking there for free for as long as I can remember. There is water and loos provided by the local council and there are bins and a lamp post.

Right next to this is a restaurant/bar known by some as "Rui's." His family have owned this for four generations. Frankie and I will be dining there that evening if he decides to open (and there is space for us to park.) The "Freeloading Tossers" are very, very, very welcome at Rui's by Rui and his family. Some can only afford the odd drink... ice cream... cake etc and others eat there regularly.

He would be severely weakened economically if there were non of us there, especially in winter time.

There is a huge Eco Style Campsite and a smaller one in Alacacer. They get their clients too.

Most of the people who park at the lakeside in Pego would never park in the huge, commercial, wire "fenced in" campsites even if they were free.

The fact is that for some the beautiful lakeside spots are simply nicer. And I tend to find the off-site crowd more likely to be interesting to me than the formal, plug into the EHU and use the shower block gang.

JJ :Cool:

I hope my Princess likes it as much as I do... :winky:

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Free Camping

On Thursday afternoon we hope to (off-site) camp at the lake at Pego Altar near Alacacer. There have been free loading, off site "tossers" parking there for free for as long as I can remember. There is water and loos provided by the local council and there are bins and a lamp post.

Right next to this is a restaurant/bar known by some as "Rui's." His family have owned this for four generations. Frankie and I will be dining there that evening if he decides to open (and there is space for us to park.) The "Freeloading Tossers" are very, very, very welcome at Rui's by Rui and his family. Some can only afford the odd drink... ice cream... cake etc and others eat there regularly.

He would be severely weakened economically if there were non of us there, especially in winter time.

There is a huge Eco Style Campsite and a smaller one in Alacacer. They get their clients too.

Most of the people who park at the lakeside in Pego would never park in the huge, commercial, wire "fenced in" campsites even if they were free.

The fact is that for some the beautiful lakeside spots are simply nicer. And I tend to find the off-site crowd more likely to be interesting to me than the formal, plug into the EHU and use the shower block gang.

JJ :Cool:

I hope my Princess likes it as much as I do... :winky:

They seem to appreciate potential customers much more there than in Cornwall.
Enjoy your holiday and I look forward to reading your posts of your adventures

Alan:thumb:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Its called being responsible and considerate JJ just wish we could make everyone the same

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm never sure of the validity of comparing attitudes to off-site camping between countries.

Using Portugal and the UK as an example (purely because of the mention above), Portugal is about 40% of the size of the UK but has only about 17% of the population of the UK so, all other things being equal, there is a lot more wide open space for a start. That is without taking into account differences in social and political development over hundreds of years in the two countries.

I make no comment (in this post anyway :Smile:) on the rights or wrongs of either situation just highlighting that differences exist for all sorts of reasons.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
You can harp on all you like!, BUT it's Cornwall,. Marazion has problems every year with Wild Campers. NOT ALL, BUT!!! a lot dump their **** illegally ,and stay in that lay by for weeks!

The locals are peed off! Yeh! they blow there horns in the middle of the night, to wake these cheap skates up!!"!

Q The self rightious to abuse!

Yeh!! I sincerely hope the Cornwall Council Bans all wild camping in Cornwall!

I am really P***ed off walking into the Loos at the Lizard, and other places , to wade thro litres of Bloo!!!

Q the up country free loaders to abuse!!

Q the tales of tyre slashing, Rape, pillage, Wrecking, driving by honking, etc etc etc

Who Cares!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time

They seem to appreciate potential customers much more there than in Cornwall.
Enjoy your holiday and I look forward to reading your posts of your adventures

Alan:thumb:

Thats right NOT CORNWALL!!!

Tell me where you live, and I' ll come , with several hundred other F*****ts and dump my S**T in your back yard!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back