Darren

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2014
Canterbury Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola
Exp
Not sure as I did not stay but on the notice in the picture above it says bank smart card only ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
At 10€ per 24 hrs, explains why it is almost empty. Seasoned Motorhomes will be staying in the immediate area for free.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Calais City - like it. Sounds very grand.

I always thought 'Ville' translated into 'town'.

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
As per my posting! last week we stayed on the marina but had to pay 10 Euro's but the signs at each entrance said Aire de Camping now closed

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Bloody hell never satisfied a brand new purpose built Aire and whinging about 10 euros Gravelines is 7 and not even secure.
No wonder the UK doesn't welcome motor homes always want something for nothing.
We've noticed over the last few years more and more Aires now charge.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Bloody hell never satisfied a brand new purpose built Aire and whinging about 10 euros Gravelines is 7 and not even secure.
No wonder the UK doesn't welcome motor homes always want something for nothing.
We've noticed over the last few years more and more Aires now charge.
Exactly....even some of the real manky Aires are asking for a few euros..and if that's what it takes to keep them there for us that's fine by me ...

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Agree that many Aires in France are now charging money to use, some going into the hands of private operators as signage and cost indicate. Many Aires however are still free and maintained by local parishes in the knowledge that many who stay overnight spend money at local premise, shops restaurants etc and thereby bring money into the community. A win, win for all. Seasoned Motor-homers have had a lot of experience and have seen the gradual increases in Aires and IMO happy to pay a few euro's to park overnight when n o other option exists and that is why this particular Aire at Calais will IMO only be used by those who are new to Motor homing and believe this to be the norm when in fact it is not. You can park overnight for free at City Europe which is well lite and probably more secure being in direct view from the police station below. City Europe also has a new fuel station which caters for the needs of Motorhomes. There are also many other places in and close to Calais that are free to overnight. One of the great things about motor homing in France (and beyond) is that it's affordable to all. If Aires continue to ramp up their rates they will only succeed in attracting the few whilst the remaining will be driven towards wild camping.

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
I can remember back in 2005 when the Calais seafront parking was totally resurfaced. Proper slots for motorhomes and a servicepoint were added to make it into a 'proper aire'. Before that it used to be just unofficial but tolerated mixed parking.

Reaonable idea but they also put an electronic barrier in place. You had to go the municipal campsite and pay your €7 fee at reception and also had to put down a €50 refundable deposit on a swipe card to get in. :eek:

Needless to say within a few days someone had ripped the barrier off.

It was never replaced.

Pete

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
Can anyone please tell me the GPS coordinates of the new Aires in Calais, if not it's actual location. Thank You

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
A few years ago when we were parked on the Marina "Aire"a violent row was going on so I stepped out side to hear a british guy with a £50k new A class refusing to pay the 7 euro fee!He said it was a rip off and had,nt paid when he visited before and he wasn't paying!I told him that we had paid the fee for the last couple of years and I was grateful that we were allowed to park up near the town which allowed us to have a meal in our favourite Restaurant,keep an eye on our van and only have a few yards to stumble into bed.He did pay when the council guy said he was calling the police but what a fuss over 7 euro's!

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
A few years ago when we were parked on the Marina "Aire"a violent row was going on so I stepped out side to hear a british guy with a £50k new A class refusing to pay the 7 euro fee!He said it was a rip off and had,nt paid when he visited before and he wasn't paying!I told him that we had paid the fee for the last couple of years and I was grateful that we were allowed to park up near the town which allowed us to have a meal in our favourite Restaurant,keep an eye on our van and only have a few yards to stumble into bed.He did pay when the council guy said he was calling the police but what a fuss over 7 euro's!

Typical I'm afraid hear it all the time

"I didn't pay all this money to pay for parking"

Arrogant beyond belief pay thousands for a luxury vehicle then expect a free ride.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Typical I'm afraid hear it all the time

"I didn't pay all this money to pay for parking"

Arrogant beyond belief pay thousands for a luxury vehicle then expect a free ride.
the daft thing is that the same people pay £££££££ to park their cars for a few hours to go shopping ..but baulk at paying a few euros to park their luxury motorhome for 24 hrs ..absolutely no logic.. :Eeek:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I wonder if the French or Germans etc. who hear people whining about paying for aires might take the same stance as many do about migrants who complain about accommodation or food or other things they are provided with as visitors, "If you don't like it go somewhere else"

I know that quite a few French and some other nationalities delight in leaving an aire before being asked to pay a few euros by an attendant, and don't much care for aires with automatic barriers. However, I deem it a privilege to be allowed to tour these wonderful Countries and I am perfectly happy to pay for aires when required do do so. Of course I also like the free ones given a choice but getting a free night will never influence my route or the places I visit.

I just spent two months in France and the total cost of aires was £237 including some free ones with an average of £4 a night and £96 for the occasional ACS site which makes the overall average £5.55 a night. Of course the free aires tend balance out the cost of the paid ones but I call that pretty good value.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I've got no objection to paying for parking, but only if I need/want to be in any particular location - and that includes for my car too. IMHO the new aire is not in a particularly convenient spot for the town and, as already stated, there is free parking only a few minutes away in a better position. Ok there are no "facilities" (thinking of Cite Europe here) but at that point in our trips we don't need them but I appreciate that others may do so that's their choice - it's a (not very :)) free world.

Unfortunately we're seeing more aires introducing/increasing prices, either due to costs or, dare I say it, a means to create an income in these cash-strapped times. Anyone who uses CL's/CS's in the UK will have noted the same.

You're always going to get the "arrogant" types but they're in a small minority, are not typical motorhomers and we just ignore them.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Oooooh I m going to have to put over a differing point of view. I don't like paying for Aires and my rationale is : I don't really care where I go in france so I pick the free aires, the ones with free water and wild camp a little bit. I m not averse to going into an aire picking up free water, dumping my toilet and going straight on. The French do it in france so When in Rome ...... I have paid for aires. I even paid 16 euros down at St Tropez this summer but I have also been in france for a month and only paid 32p. I just don't moan about it when I pay

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Oooooh I m going to have to put over a differing point of view. I don't like paying for Aires and my rationale is : I don't really care where I go in france so I pick the free aires, the ones with free water and wild camp a little bit. I m not averse to going into an aire picking up free water, dumping my toilet and going straight on. The French do it in france so When in Rome ...... I have paid for aires. I even paid 16 euros down at St Tropez this summer but I have also been in france for a month and only paid 32p. I just don't moan about it when I pay
Fair comment..

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
I wonder how much use the 'new aire' will get, so many other places nearer to amenities

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Ok there are no "facilities" (thinking of Cite Europe here) but at that point in our trips we don't need them but I appreciate that others may do so that's their choice - it's a (not very :)) free world.
The new petrol station on the roundabout at Cite Europe has a bourne with water and dump. I think you need a token, but not sure how much it is

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back