Cable reel hook-up advice please (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Not plugging in if I can help it but when I do I get a bit tired of trying to roll up a 25mtre cable that has a mind of its own on a soggy day and covered in muck.....

I thought about one of these tucked under the van with a short extension from the reel to the van and of course I will UNWIND IT COMPLETELY BEFORE USE :D2

Any pit falls and thoughts welcome.....(y)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I've considered various devices for storing the hook-up cable, but always come back to just looping it up by hand. Yes, the cable can be wet and a bit mucky, but still find it easier and quicker than winding onto a device. Just a personal view... ;)

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
For those that don't know, it's getting harder for my now knackerd arms to wind it up sitting in a wheelchair.....:D2 (y)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Cable reels are great - so long as you unwind them fully before use
As you've already promised to do that you may go ahead and make a purchase.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I have a 40mtr similar to your link, certainly came in handy at Dieppe getting one of the few electric points that were a fair bit away from where we stayed. Uncoiling all the cable is a wise move but I have frequently seen coiled cables under vans, mostly French vans perhaps they only use a minimal amount of electric so the cable never gets warm.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Best to wrap a cloth around the cable and as you wind it in with the cloth in your winding hand,allow the cloth to wipe off all the wet and dirt as its wound in. Always works for me-I wind my cable onto one of those orange plastic reels and then store it in a Sainsbury or similar for life carrier bag. Can then carry it with the handles and store in the van without fear of anything getting dirty or wet if any thing present on the cable.
Hope this helps

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Some sites (those with "Jobsworth" wardens) do not permit any plugs/sockets other than the one on the vehicle and the one on the electric supply point. They would treat your short connection in this way. I once had a socket inside a locker which was awkward to reach so fitted a 6 inch extension so I could connect easily then tuck it into the locker. The warden spotted this and told me that 2 joined leads were prohibited for elfin safety!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
If we ever use our cable, I wind it up by the "wrong" method, as shown in Brian's YouTube video.
I've done this for the last 30+ years and never got it tangled. If the cable's wet or dirty, I still do it the same.
I used to play rugby, a bit of mud doesn't scare me!

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
A very good quality hook up cable is much less inclined to tangle that some of the cheaper leads. I have had the same one for about 28yrs, It's not quite like Triggers brush but I have replaced the ends from time to time.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i was trained in cable use and safety many years ago and that has stuck with me. when coiling a cable always unplug first, then coil by hand, clean and inspect for damage as you go

if a cable has been run over and the insulation split, discard it and replace. wrapping insulating tape round it is not a repair

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I carry 3 different length cables with me. I use the most appropriate length for the job and always try to get close enough to use the shortest one.

On the muck/dirt issue. I bought some of those leather gardening/rigger gloves. I use them to wipe the cable clean as I am wrapping it up. I used to use a cloth but they got clagged up so quickly it was a nightmare. The gloves dry out on the dash then get banged together to shake off the dried mud.

These are the gloves I use. I tried a couple of different types and these have the best cleaning effect on cables so far, and don't need cleaning themselves that often.
http://amzn.to/2oBTO6I

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The reel looks fine but the cable does not. It is made from 1.5 mm sq. conductors whereas a 25 metre (+) hookup cable should be 2.5mm sq. to prevent losses over the cable run. If you are on a 'jobsworth's' site they might be concerned about this.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Some say it's OTT but it suites me

Cable Trailer .jpg

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
here you go never have to do it again just get the wife to learn this method. "if she can do it so can you"
www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzMSwIMIlgU

I refuse to use that method as it has too many tight/twisting turns in it. A cable is made up of multi-strand cores which if you bend them too hard or twist them too much will break the individual strands. This weakens that particular area so that it is more likely to suffer further damage next time. This is especially the case during colder weather.

I know a lot of people will say they have been doing it for years and they have never had a problem. But seriously it does damage/weaken the cable and it may just let you down when you most need it. If a contractor ends up with a knackered cable, or grandad's cable he uses around the house finally breaks they can just go to the shops and get a new one. For motorhomers getting one at 8pm at night when it is chucking it down and you are in the middle of nowhere is not so easy. Is it worth risking your wife shouting at you because she can't watch Corrie :p

Large loops are best all going in the same generally direction with no twists is the best way to look after your cables.

Last edited:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I love a good cable thread.
Mine is now fully compliant.. washed daily and stored in a sky skins woollen pouch

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The one I use, had it for years.. robust and very easy to use .

and as said, it should be 2.5mm cable..

IEE Regulation:

Every caravan which includes an electrical installation must be provided with a flexible lead not more than 25 m long fitted with a BS EN 60309-2 plug and a BS EN 60309-2 connector with the keyway at position 6h. The cross-sectional area of the cable must be related to the rated current of the plug as shown by {Table 7.6}.

Rated current of plug (A) Cross-sectional area (mm²)
16A. -- 2.5mm2

061220.jpg

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
@Smith and Sharp If you got 10 mins bring your cable over and I'll show you how to do it properly, That Fella in the video wouldn't know if you were 2 blocks!

(2 Blocks = standing very close behind! Like very very close behind!)

4maddogs

Free Member
Nov 16, 2010
North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profilke
Exp
6 months
I have just bought a new 10 mtr cable on a reel. I agree that some is better quality than others. The old one split and was a nightmare to loop up as it was still plastic.
My question....and not too disimilar to the OP... is hoe do you use a reel without the end nearest the reel swinging round and bashing you in the face?!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thats great Geo, but most sites have electric.
You dont need to plug in at home and take your own supply with you.
I Know John, but Im on economy 7 at home it 3p a KW cheaper then hook up;)

Apr 6, 2017
Andalucia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544 Camp
Exp
Since 2017
Just to remind people why I asked in the first place...:D2
Have you tried rolling up one of these drum cables? You need to get quite a good grip on that little handle thing, and maintain that grip while doing a sort of piston-rod turning motion with your arm, all while keeping the drum stable and still. If you're in a wheelchair, I imagine you'd need to keep the drum in your lap while doing that push-pull motion with your arm. A big drum like this is going to be difficult to keep on your lap, and you may find you're elbowing yourself in the stomach as you turn it.

I'd really suggest trying one out first - maybe go to a large electrical store like Curry's and try out a normal mains drum there.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
When we bought the Bessie in 2009, we bought on of those 'fold flat' hoses (Yeah Yeah don't last 5 minutes LOL) and whilst we were over the road (Pedleys Caravans is virtually opposite our house) I saw some round navy blue zip up bags in which the coiled hose on its reel fitted a treat. And then I said Oooh, wouldn't the 'looped up' elec cable fit neatly in one of these too? - and Lo, it does, so no tatty ole Sainsbury's carriers kicking round our lockers.

A thing that strikes me in particular reference to @Smith and Sharp 's actual problem - do you not carry any shorter cables with you for when you don't need such a long one?

And why can't you wind cable like you would wind knitting wool - if no handy child to hold her arms outstretched hands pointing forward thumbs up for their mother to wind the undone knitting wool onto - she used the stick out wood bits at the front of the arms of a chair - or even the back of a dining chair - so you just need two fixed things - eg two rolled up golf umbrellas, or even eg the substantial guy rope pegs with the fluorescent tops on em - spiked into the ground about 15, 18 (whatever) inches apart, and coil the cable round em. Then the only time you'll need to support the whole weight is when you pick it up off the floor, neatly coiled!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back