C1 licence over 70 medical appeal. Any successes? (1 Viewer)

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
My other half had his C1 licence revoked on health grounds last year. We appealed (with a lot of help from funsters ) and the whole process has taken nearly a year.
Now give the DVLA their due they have agreed to Glenn having an additional health test. The thing is we feel like our lives have been on hold for nearly a year trying to get this sorted out.
In the event that this test proves that Glenn is fit to drive will he have to renew his licence every year? And will he have to do health tests every year? If so we are wondering if it's worth it.
Has anyone successfully appealed and can give us the benefit of their experience?

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
My Dad appealed his licence being revoked and successfully got it back. He has to reapply every three years now.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
My other half had his C1 licence revoked on health grounds last year. We appealed (with a lot of help from funsters ) and the whole process has taken nearly a year.
Now give the DVLA their due they have agreed to Glenn having an additional health test. The thing is we feel like our lives have been on hold for nearly a year trying to get this sorted out.
In the event that this test proves that Glenn is fit to drive will he have to renew his licence every year? And will he have to do health tests every year? If so we are wondering if it's worth it.
Has anyone successfully appealed and can give us the benefit of their experience?
What were his health issue's.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I hope your appeal is successful ... if he passes he will have to take a medical every 3 years and reapply for his licence at the same time.

OP
OP
Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Strange, CABG isn't a DVSA notifiable illness....unless it's an over 70 issue perhaps.
I think its to do with being 70. Glenn had the bypasses 32 years ago and is very fit. We think the test wasn't administered properly as he was told to stop all meds and the DVLA don't require that. He did 9 minutes on the treadmill no probs.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Heart disease 2 stents , being ok but now got a bit of blood pressure but my medication seems to have being ok for the last year . The blood pressure stems from last year when I had my annual check up at the hospital and my current family doctor has only just opened the email from the hospital a year down the line to tell me I need an extra pill (Total Tosser ) but today you have to sit and smile at the incompetence .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sounds like you need another doctor!
My doc is good but I need another area health provider.
Had an URGENT appointment with ENT dept in March.
Doc not impressed with their version of URGENT and got it brought forward to 18 Jan.
17 Jan got a call from hospital, appointment cancelled, consultant off ill.
Got a new appointment by post.....early May.
New appointment with doc to see what he says.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

I got my licence back just before Christmas. That was 5 months AFTER the additional health checks when I got the all clear and better results than most people.

Get your MP involved and ask him / her to refer to the Parliamentary Ombudsman. It was the threat of a review at that level that got the DVLA off their behinds and a decision made. You may have to guide your MP through the process. Even though I have my licence back my MP is still going through the Ombudsman route because of the issues I raised about lack of clarity, delays and general bad management at the DVLA.

I am not yet 70 (by quite a margin) and I don't have to have annual checks or even three yearly checks.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi @Hils and Glenns , we have spoken before about this. We are still waiting for DVLA medical decision. We know the stress test and echocardiogram were fine as we have spoken to the doctors and there are no issues. These were fine last August after our application in April. Issue was a MI and heart bypass in 2003 with no problems before or since.
When I last rang up DVLA two weeks ago, still got the reply waiting for medical department. I wish I had asked where in the queue. Chap on phone did say though that still legal to drive C1 as it had never been revoked, and until revoked ok to drive that class. If, eventually it is given, then the 3 years will run from that date, not from 70 Birthday.
I think we will continue to reapply every 3 years as they said we would get the free stress test and echocardiogram.

I know this is no help to you, just letting off steam...again! Hope your appeal goes well.

Jul 21, 2011
Up’t North West
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
I'm 67 and had tests for sleep apnea at 59. I was given a CPAP machine which improved my sleep pattern thus I was not feeling tired on my drive home in the late afternoon. I have had a check up annually and the memory card which is fitted within the m/c interrogated with my sleeping pattern etc.
I was never informed by anyone that this was a notifiable medical condition to the DVLA.
Well on our way back from Italy I was talking to a fellow funster who also suffered from sleep apnea but had done nothing about it "because I will have to inform the DVLA". To which I said "thats news to me". I had my annual check up and asked the question, they didn't know. Weeks latter I received a letter from my local hospital informing me to inform the DVLA of my condition of sleep apnea " it's only a formality that will be the end of it"
No it wasn't I was informed by the DVLA that they we're writing to my GP. Then the DVLA informed me I had to have a medical at my GPs and they would pay the cost.
I have had my medical with the GP who informed me that it was all under control and couldn't understand why the DVLA did not take her first written reply as fact.
Now waiting for a reply from the DVLA.
The main fact is:- Am I a higher risk in my driving ability than the person who knows they have sleep apnea but does not seek medical advice due to having to inform the DVLA.
Colin

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The main fact is:- Am I a higher risk in my driving ability than the person who knows they have sleep apnea but does not seek medical advice due to having to inform the DVLA.
Colin

Is that a trick question?????

It is the people who know they have a condition and don't seek advice and or report the condition that are the big risk. If they take that sort of risk then the next question is what other risks would they take when driving?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I'm 67 and had tests for sleep apnea at 59. I was given a CPAP machine which improved my sleep pattern thus I was not feeling tired on my drive home in the late afternoon. I have had a check up annually and the memory card which is fitted within the m/c interrogated with my sleeping pattern etc.
I was never informed by anyone that this was a notifiable medical condition to the DVLA.
Well on our way back from Italy I was talking to a fellow funster who also suffered from sleep apnea but had done nothing about it "because I will have to inform the DVLA". To which I said "thats news to me". I had my annual check up and asked the question, they didn't know. Weeks latter I received a letter from my local hospital informing me to inform the DVLA of my condition of sleep apnea " it's only a formality that will be the end of it"
No it wasn't I was informed by the DVLA that they we're writing to my GP. Then the DVLA informed me I had to have a medical at my GPs and they would pay the cost.
I have had my medical with the GP who informed me that it was all under control and couldn't understand why the DVLA did not take her first written reply as fact.
Now waiting for a reply from the DVLA.
Colin
No, you are not, you take your condition seriously and have been informed by GP that under control.
we eat well, not overweight, don't smoke, take plenty of physical exercise, have regular GP checkups and tests and monitor our BP at home. I feel safer than those who do not know they have a problem waiting to happen.
Of course, none of us know what is around the corner but I feel better off well informed about health.

Oh, and we have eye tests every year.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
The one who has not informed the DVLA may end up in serious doggy doo, he may not inform the DVLA but his Dr is now required to do so. Could lead to driving without insurance as insurer also needs to know. John has been on CPAP for about 10 years, notified DVLA as required, also insurers, no change in insurance premiums, no change in licence. There has however been a recent change for continuing after age 70 medical, you must have a yearly check, they say by GP, John's checks have always been done at the hospital. Now waiting for outcome.

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
I have just (a month or so ago) applied to renew my licence to include C1/D1 privileges (for MoHo and Church minibus) and, despite my Optician's report, and my Doctor's test, the DVLA have insisted that I go to Specsavers for an eye test!! Bizarre, but I guess they have to justify their salaries somehow! Still awaiting their decision as to whether I am fit to drive or not!!

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Oooh that is a bit strange.
DVLA has contracted Specsavers to use a particular "Field of Vision" test device. Other opticians may use different devices. I had my test done at Specsavers yet DVLA sent a second form VIV to take to the optician for the same info to be completed again. This form also asked the same questions as those supplied by the doctor on the D4 form, so I had to make another appointment for her signature. I applied in April this form arrived in June. I have twice contacted DVLA about the renewal since, in October and January and they say it is in the system and apologised for the delay "Due to pressure of work". I have now contacted my MP regarding this procrastination.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I hope your appeal is successful ... if he passes he will have to take a medical every 3 years and reapply for his licence at the same time.

Which everyone over 70 has to do anyway. IMV entirely un necessary, when you consider our "Lords and Masters" are now dictating we are fit enough the keep on WORKING after 70, and raising the Pension age to reflect that?.

Edit;- But then if you think about it, this way they get several bites from the same tax cherry?, and spread the jam about for all their pals to have a lick?

Last edited:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
DVLA has contracted Specsavers to use a particular "Field of Vision" test device. Other opticians may use different devices. I had my test done at Specsavers yet DVLA sent a second form VIV to take to the optician for the same info to be completed again. This form also asked the same questions as those supplied by the doctor on the D4 form, so I had to make another appointment for her signature. I applied in April this form arrived in June. I have twice contacted DVLA about the renewal since, in October and January and they say it is in the system and apologised for the delay "Due to pressure of work". I have now contacted my MP regarding this procrastination.
Sounds like we are on the same time scales. Do you think we will make it to a year from application.
Would be very interested to see if you get a more rapid response Than us now that you have contacted your MP. Please let me know.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I have just (a month or so ago) applied to renew my licence to include C1/D1 privileges (for MoHo and Church minibus) and, despite my Optician's report, and my Doctor's test, the DVLA have insisted that I go to Specsavers for an eye test!! Bizarre, but I guess they have to justify their salaries somehow! Still awaiting their decision as to whether I am fit to drive or not!!
I am afraid to say that you are a mere youngster in the waiting game.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Sounds like we are on the same time scales. Do you think we will make it to a year from application.
Would be very interested to see if you get a more rapid response Than us now that you have contacted your MP. Please let me know.

At the rate they have gone so far, it could well be a year, as it seems they just pile new work on top of old and then work through it. At least that is the impression I have of their work methods. I will certainly let you know how I get on through the MP

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I found that the best way to get results was to email them with your details, always got a quick reply. Phone calls.......... no written record!!

Peter

Have they actually got an E-Mail?. We are talking the same people who "lost" a FAX!, until I sent them another (Right "snot-o-gram")! Then all of a sudden they found it!. The same people who`s telephone plays music for hours on end!. That lot are definitely "Not Fit For Purpose".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back