C-Line Garage Lock Barrel replacement (1 Viewer)

Oct 4, 2021
Hastings, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Having recently returned from a 6 week trip in our Chic C-Line 150, I completed the full wash and clean and decided to lube the key locks on garage doors. Made the mistake of using ordinary oil and not graphite/PTFE based. Now keys jam in lock and barrels don't return to central point. My thoughts are springs in barrel are clogged/jammed or broken. Does anyone have experience of barrel strip and clean on FW series barrels or obtaining FW series replacement barrels to save additional keys just for garage locks. Hope someone can advise. Thanks in advance.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It is probably just grit and dust picked up by the oil. I would flush it out well with WD40 try not to get too much on the plastic surround but don't leave the WD40 in there because that will pick up muck too but it should dilute the oil.
Then flush with silicone spray. If it frees up then lubricate I use Ambersil Locklube.
If that doesn't work get a barrel removal key then you can take the barrel out and give it a better clean.

OP
OP
G
Oct 4, 2021
Hastings, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Thanks Lenny, I agree that its probably dirt clogging things up. Had to climb in through the small door on the other side a full garage and remove the latchesto get in the other day. Not a pretty site with my 110kg body :LOL: Will look into sourcing a removal key. Any suggestions welcome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
This is the one I got for my Hymer if it's not the same lock I think they do other ones.

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
Having trouble with my locks, they are turning OK but trouble getting the key in the lock. Do think it's the same problem?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G
Oct 4, 2021
Hastings, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Having trouble with my locks, they are turning OK but trouble getting the key in the lock. Do think it's the same problem?
Sounds like a similar problem Smudge. I have sourced a key blank for removing the barrels to clean everything up but have not had an opportunity to remove the latches and strip the locks off yet. What ever you do, do not use WD40 or oil to lub the locks as it just makes the dirt stick. Get a PTFE or even better graphite based lub. Am away at most moment but will post details of key blank suppliers when I get chance

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I had the same problem with locks on the same van; at least that is what I thought. In the end it was the key that had worn. The second key which my wife rarely used worked perfectly. I had a new one cut from the good one. Problem solved. Just a thought, maybe worth checking šŸ¤”šŸ˜‰.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I got my graphite power from amazon, cant remember how much it was but ISTR it was cheap enough as it my wifes account

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back