Buying from France/Germany

Discussion in 'Hobby' started by Moo, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Moo

Moo Read Only Funster

Hello.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Soon, I would like to purchase a Hobby 750 (either new or used) from France or Germany. If I can find one to my liking pre-registered in France then I would probably go for that - but I'm very open to buying from elsewhere.

If anyone has any information about where I might start looking/or what I might need to consider, please let me know.

Kind regards,
    Moo

2. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

http://www.annonces-caravaning.com/5187,annonce-campingcar-hobby-750gel.html :thumb:

3. Heyupluv

4. Heyupluv

http://www.strasbourg-caravanes.com...xmax=&etat=&rechercher=Rechercher+Camping+car

5. Heyupluv

http://www.strasbourg-caravanes.com/

6. johnnerontheroad

johnnerontheroad Read Only Funster

7. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

With the euro being as it is, I would have thought a UK purchase would be cheaper, plus if you buy from a reputable dealer you will have warranty back-up.

Peter

8. Heyupluv

Peter.... I totally agree at the moment there are better deals in the UK............Mel :thumb:

9. Frankia

Frankia Read Only Funster

As with many things it depends on the deal you are after. If you have a 'van to p/x and the dealer in the UK thinks he may struggle to sell it then the deal may not be as good.

We have just picked up our new 'van from Germany - we p/x ed our old left hooker with the German dealer with a balance to pay of £20k - The UK dealer had quoted £38k for the same p/x with a lower spec on the new 'van.

The German dealer was telling me that, as in the UK, there are as many dealers on the edge of going to the wall as there are profitable ones. That means there are a lot of good deals to be had just to keep the cashflow going.

I agree though that mobile.de is a good place to start looking for a 'van in Germany or one of the mags - Promobile or Reisemobile - both carry plenty of adverts.

10. Moo

Moo Read Only Funster

Thanks for everyone's response. If you were me and you wanted to keep as many options open as possible where would you look for good prices in the UK?

Also, what considerations would you have when buying a used Hobby: what issues particular to this make/model (750) and MHs in general would you consider when viewing a potential second hand purchase?

All the best,
    Moo

11. rogerangie

rogerangie Read Only Funster

rogerangie

In my considered opinion and I am sure JC will disagree. Do not buy british. German manufactureres are the best. Forget about serviceing etc. Get a good local guy.
    UK warranties are a joke. Read the web pages for reems of woe from disgruntled buyers. I have had my 1996 Burstner for nearly eight years, only 1996 cc but she goes well, needs tlc as they all do but all the "bits" needed for it are available.
    Go German.

12. Moo

Moo Read Only Funster

That's sort of what I assumed anyway - can you recommend anyone?

What do you mean? Why so bad? What would you expect of a (German) warranty?

13. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

Slightly 'off topic' to most but may give 'Moo' some idea of what to expect when buying in Germany.

My son is based out there and because he wanted to keep his car and use it there he had to put it through a TUV, the Geman MOT test. He said it's far more severe than the MOT and would easily put thousands of 'brits' off the road through instant failure!

14. rogerangie

rogerangie Read Only Funster

Have you ever bought a new car in england and had problems? Rover spring to mind.
    Then fill in for "warranty"
    I was at the Hobby factory last summer just for a browse round. WOW!! go and have a look, also while in the area the Hymer (Humer in Germany). It will open your eyes.
    Burstner have bent over backwards for me with spares from 1996 and always supplied.
    Yes, I am biased, who can blame me, and my German is minimal.
    Where are you based?

15. Moo

Moo Read Only Funster

Please remember, I don't really care where I get this from from - I just want Hobby 750 at a good price at a good spec and with decent service etc... so I'm looking around and will make my own mind up over the next few months.

I'm based in UK (midlands). But unless it all goes tits-up will almost certainly have moved to northern Spain by end of year.

16. Frankia

Frankia Read Only Funster

Why not have a word with Nick Legg at Bundesvan - He can find a 'van for you from his contacts with German dealers and knowledge of the market there. He is also good at getting the red tape done for the import to the UK.

At least that way you will have a left hooker (not always available from British dealers) for your propose departure to sunnier climes.

We have just used Nicks service to import our new 'van - I speak German and did most of the business side with the German dealer myself but Nick was invaluable in getting the import and payment in €s side done.

See www.bundesvan.co.uk

17. Moo

Moo Read Only Funster

That's not a bad idea. I'll have a word at Peterborough in April.

Thanks,
    M

18. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Can't agree with that Brownhills still charging silly prices for Hymers you can still save 10k + buying in Belgium or Germany.

One thing to be aware off buying abroad is insurance. You can not get a vehicle insured if it is registered in another country, If it's new you can not get it covered until it's on British soil.
    If you buy in Germany you have to buy compulsory 3rd party insurance before you can drive it away (also applies to private sales). I think it's too much of a risk driving a 50K van back with only 3rd party insurance.

We brought our Hymer in Belgium the dealer drove it to the port for us the only risk was driving on the ferry & insurance was arranged so it was insured once in the UK.

No problems with warranty work a quick nip over to Belgium on Thursday night or Friday Morning get the work or service done and a nice weekend in Belgium.

19. cliff

cliff Read Only Funster

I bought a Hobby 650 from germany in 2006 from a great Hobby dealer in a place called Schwienfurt, log on to mobile.de select your search criteria.
    You can save on the new cost but you will need to get started before the season starts. I flew to Frankfurt by Ryanair over the weekend, then flew back the next weekend with the cash 9don't do banktransfers)and drove it home. The dealer will arrange temporary insurance and road tax. Then go to your local motor vehicle office who will transfer all the paperwork,its no problem honest.

20. whisturx

whisturx Read Only Funster

Try http://www.bundesvan.co.uk

I have bought two Hobby 750 's from Germany delivered to my door in 2001 and 2006, and have just changed to a new Frankia which he has just delivered. 100 % genuine.

Ian