BT wifi with FON - are we being misled?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by laser101uk, Jun 16, 2013.

1. laser101uk

laser101uk Funster

BT customers are connected to the FON system making it possible to log in to any FON router in the world via your BT log in. One of their major selling points! However, while I can log on and check my status (opted in) on btfon without problem. I am not able to log on to fon.com (something I used to be able to do)

Reading around the web it seems common that BT customers are unable to log onto FON outside of the UK. I am off to France over the summer and was pleased to see that SFR are part of the FON network but after reading the web I am now of the impression that no one is able to log onto it with their BT account.

How have others managed with FON in Europe? It seems a bit much that BT sell us this service if it doest work.

2. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  3. laser101uk

laser101uk Funster

did you try with your bt wifi account? I assume your fonera account is set up separately from your BT account?

My only account is with BT. I can log onto BT wifi with FON in the UK no problem. But when in France I think its going to be a different result.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  4. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

I thought that fon was part of the fonera company, so no surprise that you can connect with a subscription from them. BT pay a licence to them for use in the uk, but not certain this includes worldwide.

just join fon directly and connect their box at home. with the box connected and sharing your internet with others you have access to their network worldwide. well wherever other people are sharing their internet connection with fon too

https://shop.fon.com/FonShop/shop/GB/ShopController

5. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 2
  6. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

7. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Here is another opportunity for Jim......... Motorhome FON...... Could scam a load of people out of a tenner....:Wink: