Brittany whens the best time to go (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
We want to go to Brittany, thinking over to St Malo then back via Caen. But not sure what time of year to go, we are busy April doing a Battlefields tour on the Somme. But any time after is good.

Also places to visit ? we plan 2 weeks touring around, with a few days in Normandy/beaches (Pegagsus Bridge).

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
We want to go to Brittany, thinking over to St Malo then back via Caen. But not sure what time of year to go, we are busy April doing a Battlefields tour on the Somme. But any time after is good.

Also places to visit ? we plan 2 weeks touring around, with a few days in Normandy/beaches (Pegagsus Bridge).
Dunno about you but I will be mooching around there in June for two weeks. Just got a couple of municipal sites to stay at to recharge batteries have a good long shower etc . The rest of the time will just take it as it comes ...Roy

Reactions: f6c
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Why not just continue your journey after the Somme. Don't miss Arromanche , still amazed by the mulberry harbour. April/May could be lovely.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Why not just continue your journey after the Somme. Don't miss Arromanche , still amazed by the mulberry harbour. April/May could be lovely.

Because I'm doing the Somme on my motorbike with some mates, we went last year and decided to go back to see the bits we missed last time, great place to visit.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I was there last September when we toured around the Brest peninsula on the way to twin lakes ..stopped at Aires and just one site in st malo . Everywhere is beautiful .especially liked Paimpol .. Small aire but nice and close to town and harbour.. Great fish market on Tuesdays.

Last edited:
Reactions: f6c

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
As carolyn suggested you could carry on from your Somme visit. Perhaps go along the north coast and stay on the numerous aires. We found thye coastline to be very scenic and the ceanothus bushes were in bloom just about everywhere we looked during late April. South coast is, to my mind, less scenic but you have places like Carnac with the stone whatever-they-ares. There are menhirs or is it penhirs all over the place.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
More campsites are open after Easter if you prefer campsites. Weather-wise for Brittany think Cornwall, it's not far enough south for the weather to be that much different to SW England in the Spring and Autumn.

I would say don't miss the pink granite Coast around Tregastel and Perros Guirrec. You won't see prehistoric standing stones quite like you do around Carnac, and the Quiberon peninsula is worth at least a day of your time. For quaint you've got the old walled town at Concarnau and the cobbled streets of Locronan. If you like beaches there's a big wide sandy surfy one at Pointe de la Torche. The medieval chateau at Fougeres is a bit different to most. All the above places have handy aires.

The one spot that might disappoint is Mont St Michel - nice to look at from a distance but horribly commercial on the approach road and inside the walls. Great if you like plastic knights, wooden swords and crowds.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi BusyBuilder,
We've been several times & going again this June with a couple of friends for 3 weeks, we usually go June or Sept as July August gets very busy, but having said that some of the coastal aires are busy most of the time as the French tend to stay & block for what seems like weeks on end .
Terry

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
We think of Brittany as we would do Cornwall. Weather in Cornwall = weather in Brittany (approximately). When do things happen in Cornwall? About the same times as over there. So far we haven't been disappointed, last May the weather there was just as crap as it was here.

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
May and June are excellent in Brittany, particularly in the south. As for where to go, that depends on your personal taste. As you are considering the ferry to Saint-Malo, I would suggest visiting Dinan, just south of there. The River Vilaine has some excellent wilding spots. There are numerous aires around Lac de Guerlédan. The commune of Névez has some excellent coastal aires, max stay 48 hours, services only at Névez itself. And while in that area, Concarneau, as someone else has suggested. The Golfe du Morbihan is also well worth a few days.
If you are returning from Ouistreham and spending a few days getting there from Brittany, Fougères might be worth a visit. And if you don't take the A84 to Caen, I would suggest going from Fougères via Mayenne (the city) to Saint-Céneri-le-Gérei, one of the Plus Beaux Villages de France, which is definitely worth a visit in May (though the blossom is probably at its best early in the month).
If you are a member of France Passion, I can possibly recommend a few locations.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Been over to France every year since 2005 and always everytime (apart from once) we go last week or last few days of August and a two/three weeks into Sept - never ever had any rain or bad weather, the once we went in June from a recommendation of a friend who we met down in Spain and all through France it pissed it down two days solid.. :LOL::LOL:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Comparisons have been made on this thread with the weather in Cornwall, but I reckon if you travel well to the south of Brittany you're in with a sporting chance of getting significantly better weather.

Note I used the word 'chance'. ;) It 'aint the Med! (y)

Mind you we had some scorching weather last August, well into the 30s on a few days. How lucky were we... :sneaky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back