Brittany delightful, unspoilt and uncrowded.

Discussion in 'France' started by martin2603, Sep 23, 2014.

1. martin2603

martin2603 Funster

Have just returned from our three week trip around Quimperle, Brittany After much deliberation on taking the 'Toad' I decided that having a base in Mellac it would not be practical to use the MH 8.5m for exploring. With a little careful planning we used the scenic routes avoiding the peage (except the first section of the A16. ) and found three delightful aires in villages off the beaten track . I used Camping Sty Claire at Neufchatel en Bray for our first and last stops, perfectly situated just off the A16 and very good value. A stop at Fourgeres at the Aire behind the Chateau was also no problem with the toad, but you need to arrive early, it gets busy late afternoon. I had found a CL Style site in Mellac called Montloue which is owned By Carol and Keith who have been there for several years. There are six serviced hard standing Pitches in the grounds of there property outside the village of Mellac, about 20minutes from the coast. What did surprise me was the way in which the local authorities are 100per cent behind 'Le Camping Car'. Almost every village and port had motorhome parking designated areas most with drainage, at little or no cost, and because they are so small they have not yet made into the Aires Guides. Every day we found a new favourite beach, crystal clear blue sea, even if was a little chilly on entry. Most of the villages and towns have been have been stuck in a time warp and are totally unspoilt. In all out time there we only spotted three of four other Brit MHs .

Now I must get on with getting the garden straight before I can plan the next excursion, I feel the West Country or the Lakes are top of the agenda before winter sets in

Martin
    Where have the rest of you been ?

• Like Like x 6
  2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

brittany isnt france . ask the locals . bit like cornwall and england .

3. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Take no notice, it's french ish, like half way house, beutiful non the less.

4. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Quiet out of season, picturesque, lots of history, great beaches--what's not to like?

5. Pilote87

Pilote87 Funster

[QUOTE="
    Martin
    Where have the rest of you been ?[/QUOTE]

We've been to Kent, but in the company of a dozen French motorhomes. I have two main comments. The first is that I was amazed at the help I was given in getting the trip planned and executed. The second was that, considering how close Kent is to France, how little European-language tourist information is available. Having said that, Leeds Castle and Canterbury Cathedral laid on excellent French language guided tours. We could also have had similar at Chatham Dockyard and the City of Canterbury

Prior to that we had a week around the town of Riom-és-Montagne in the Chantal where we tasted the excellent blue cheese which went well with the local Avèze (made from the root of the gentian).

John

6. Bejay

Bejay Read Only Funster

Hi Martin, Lorna and I also got back from a 3 week stay in Brittany just over a week ago. Quimperle area is just great. We spent a week at the 'Les Embruns' campsite at Le Pouldu. Recommend it! Also spent time on aires. Best was at Josselin - free with up to 50 spaces and shared with the local car park. The water point was card only however and would not accept my euro card. The small 14 c town is on the river Oust/Nantes-Brest canal with Brittany's most prestigious chateau! There and back to Dieppe we stopped at the aire at Avraches in Normandy.
    Bejay

• Like Like x 2
  7. Stroppy Bird

Stroppy Bird Funster

We're off in a couple of weeks time, so thanks for posting with the info.

8. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

What is Brittany like in July and August?

We have spent a couple of weeks there in May and it was lovely but not sure it would be the same if it was jammed.

9. kcy

kcy Funster

What's the "toad'

10. Allanm

Allanm Funster

It doesn't get jammed but some of the most popular coastal Aires fill up a bit quicker. We spent 3 weeks there in August and found plenty of aires with only one or two vans there already.

• Like Like x 1
  11. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

an Americanism .. Toad = Towed.

A car that is 'towed' with all wheels on the ground using an 'A' frame.

• Like Like x 1
  12. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Same answer as Allanm.. spend Aug and September there.. After the 31st of Aug it was dead..

• Like Like x 2
  13. kcy

kcy Funster

Not in the curriculum when I was in school in Washington, but then I'm old now

14. Detnor

Detnor Funster

Just left an ACSI site in Lanloup, the 2 space aire in village was empty but the church bells next door against the swimming pool on the site was an easy decision. Moved over to Normandy, we normally go to Pontorson, but the mosquitos are in residence, so kept going.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. martin2603

martin2603 Funster

Brittany is very busy in August French National Holiday, The Toad is the tow car Hyundai I10

16. snowdrops

snowdrops Funster Life Member

As beginners, we meant to spend our whole 2 weeks there. As it was, we wandered all the way down to St Jean de Luz, stopping at Chartres, Ile de Re, La Rochelle, Bordeuax, Dinan et al. Hardly any brits, they love you trying to speak french, the weather was baking hot. Made our way back up last week, spent one night in Brittany, lots cooler, but still pretty, tho didn't spend much time there. Normandy was awful, people losing patience with you trying to speak the language, brits everywhere determined to be in their brit gangs and calling the french frogs. Glad we went elsewhere to begin with or we'd have been disappointed. Will be doing more of Brittany in June so will keep an eye out for tips :)

• Like Like x 1