Brit Stops

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DJK, Feb 28, 2016.

1. DJK

DJK

How many of you buy Brit Stops being new to MH’s but in caravans for 29 years I thought I would buy it because MH can be sooo different to a caravan with more overnight locations you can stop at.

My new copy came last week and today is the first chance to have a good look and to say I‘m disappointed is an understatement I don’t see a price in site just a list of pubs and the number of MH’s they can take and what facilities they have.

Something I learned coming on this site and others is most pubs will allow you to stay over if you buy a meal something I wouldn’t dream of in my caravan.

Just now seems a lot of money £30 for something I can find with a click on the www.

Just my thoughts

• Like Like x 6
  2. glenn2926

glenn2926 Funster

There is no price because it's free. You are not required to spend anything but it would be nice if you at least had a beer or two.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Yes, every host listed is made aware that they will not charge you to stay, but they hope you will use their facilities (which most of us do).
    There are a lot of pubs, but a lot of farms, theme parks, farms, museums etc. that you would never have dreamed of visiting if they weren't in the guide.
    So far, we have stayed in a vineyard, a farm shop, many pubs, and a good few restaurants.
    The guide really gives you the locations of places that are hospitable to MH overnighting, without having to go in and ask. Worth every penny in my book :D

• Like Like x 11
    • Informative Informative x 4
  4. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Agree with the above. I think Britstops is brilliant.

• Like Like x 2
  5. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

I just realised I said Farms twice, I got distracted whilst posting :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I used Britstops a few times last year. In each case I felt morally obliged to spend some money with the establishment. I don't think they are cheap (or free!) but they can sometimes be convenient. Personally I think CL's or CS's are better value for money.

Some were OK, many were just parking in the carpark of a pub (not really relaxing) and captive to all the local revellers coming out of the pub half cut and noisy whilst you try to sleep!

In principle I like them, but they are only one of many resources and certainly not 'free' ;)

• Like Like x 4
  7. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

OK, I feel a real world example may be required to show the worth of britstops. And I should stress, this is not how we usually stop.
    We were on a small UK tour, culminating in a stop at Longleat, as a treat for my daughter. We had intended to get away at a reasonable hour to arrive home at a reasonable time. Anyway, my daughter insisted on spending hours at every single animal, and visiting the gorillas 3 times I think. So it was late, I was in no mood to drive all the way home, so ideal, dug out our guide. There was a britstop 5 minutes away.
    Phoned them and booked a table in their restaurant. Upshot was, rather than being very grumpy with wife and daughter. We had a splendid meal, and then a good nights sleep, and the next morning we arrived back home.
    A lot of people will argue that the stops aren't free, however I disagree. We stopped at a place in the New Forest not so long back, and another 'stopper' arrived late in the evening. They departed in the morning, having not spent a penny in the establishment. The chap was bidding farewell to the host just as we were leaving. Granted we select Britstops based upon the offering, but you are not required to spend anything!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. ceejayt

ceejayt Funster Life Member

I also think it's a great resource. Yes, lots of pubs will let you stay if you eat but Britstops takes away the hassle or disappointment. Yes, we generally spend something with the host but have never felt obliged. Wouldn't be without it.

• Like Like x 3
  9. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

The fabulous map of pub stops Keith has in resources section is completely free. I use it whenever in England. Of course living in Scotland I wouldn't dream of buying a britstop b:LOL:ok. That no doubt would join the pile of other things we now carry in the MH but never use.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

It is a useful resource but the £30 price tag is silly, given this is twice the price of an ACSI card and books which can get you a discount at numerous sites. I know the theory is a few stops will pay for the book but I think their price will put people off. We won't be buying another copy.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SteveB123

SteveB123 Funster

Ive used my Brit Stops book a few times and had some nice meals and peaceful nights in country pubs. Good value in my opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  12. ceejayt

Can't see that - sites are getting more and more expensive so two or maximum three stops pays for the book and you have no hassle because you know you can stop and the only obligation is to say 'thanks for letting me stay'.

• Like Like x 1
  13. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster Life Member

We bought the book the 1st year of publication and only used 2 of the stops - both pubs and in both when we went in to check we were OK where we were parked and have a drink we were asked "what time do you want to book a table for this evening?"

We certainly felt it was an obligation to have a meal.

Never bothered with it again. If we want somewhere to stop for a night we'll use a CS, all of which are cheaper than 2 meals and drinks in a pub.

Denise

14. ceejayt

In which case you should email Steve at Britstops and ask him to advise the two pubs you stayed at that that is not how the scheme works - even if you don't intend to use it again it would help the rest of us that do so we don't have the same greeting. We have never been asked to buy anything.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. StanandShirley

StanandShirley Funster

Used Brit stops for the last three years would not be without it the best investment every year. Never stayed at a bad one yet. Thanks Brit Stops.

• Like Like x 3
  16. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

We have used it a fair bit and choose places that allow the dug in. Works well for us and don't see a huge issue with the cost.
    (Having said that we didn't buy this year's yet) :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. glenn2926

glenn2926 Funster

I do not see how Britstops work out more expensive than a site. We would be either going out for a meal or a couple of drinks anyway. So add this to the cost of a site and there is no way the Britstops is expensive. Maybe we do it differently to most.

• Like Like x 3
  18. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

That's exactly what we look for, dog friendly places are essential for us, although most are surprised by the size of our dog when we arrive :D
    Was the use of 'Dug' deliberate? Only ask because that's what we call our dog when she's being dopey :D (from the film Up!)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

You can stay on a CL for between £5 and £10 and that will include toilet drop and fresh water. You won't be sat in a car park out the back. You can legitimately stay for 24 hours and the chances are you will have a nice quiet and peaceful time.

Pubs generally can not compete with that.

The majority of Britstop pubs we have stayed at were certainly not places we would choose to dine in. They were often filled with 'locals' who were just there for the beer.

Pubs are a dying industry these days, poor food, poor service, poor value....... and expensive beer.

We used Britstops last year to try it out and judge for ourselves. The verdict is that it's not for us. We would much rather stay on a CL every time.

I would just add that we did stay on a few 'farm' type Britstops and they were quite pleasant. We even stayed on a few that I would highly recommend, but they are far and few between.

This is all irrelevant for us because we are selling the van anyway :(

• Like Like x 1
  20. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

We have just bought this years Britstops for the first time having first done our research on what Britstops has to offer it seems the OP did not check to see what he was buying so seems unfair comments , I think that when Steve @BritStops when he gets back from the NEC will be able to comment.

• Like Like x 2