Breakdown cover for France - or not????

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Teasy2007, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Hi we are heading to France in three weeks and were quite surprised at the cost of breakdown cover for our 07 motorhome, which came in at £160+ for 66 days. We already have Mayday for the Uk but think that this additional cost is crazy.

Advice wanted - is breakdown cover really necessary???

Do we need/should inform our insurance company that we are going to France - is there likely to be an additional charge by the insurers as well?

Are there any other 'hidden' extras we might not have considered?

Any advice to make this trip as enjoyable and less stressful would be gratefully appreciated.

Oh - is it true that we should have the gross weight, height, width and length of the motorhome clearly visible on a card of some sort in the motorhome?

Ginny and Mike

2. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

It's insurance, If you were to break down you would need it. It cost me £70 for a year with caravan Guard.
    You need to inform your Insurers that you are going over seas

3. highwayman

highwayman Funster Life Member

Hi teasy
    If you've got foriegn cover you've got peace of mind, ours is built-in to our insurance cover. various companys offer this so bear it in mind when it's time to renew. Personally i think you should have-it, the cost of getting recovered from a motorway will exceed the cost of cover. Mind you once you've got it, you'll probably never need-it. But with my luck if i didn't have it i'd need-it. (sods-law)
    Check your policy, you'll probably have european cover already. Normaly 90days
    Keep a card on the dash with your height etc, when you're closing on a low bridge it's better to be safe than sorry. "i can't remember" plays hell with the blood pressure. so i'm told :Blush:
    As for stress etc, Chill-out you're on holiday :BigGrin: :BigGrin:

regards...nige

4. N Luyetund

N Luyetund Deleted User

We use the Red Pennant motoring and personal cover... annual multi trip up to 31 days at a time... peace of mind:Wink:

The van insurance, again with the CC, has eurocover (green card equivalent)... printed on the back of the Ins cert.

Enjoy!!

5. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Saga Rules - OK

I read the posts and contacted my insurer Saga - total cost to add Breakdown cover to my existing policy until June is only £18! Excellent.

6. 2escapees

2escapees Deleted User

7. paulharrison

paulharrison Read Only Funster

Hi Teasy
    If your motorhome is based on a french or italian van and less than three years old you may be covered check the books which came with the base van if you are in a smash your insurance should cover you, if you are not covered dont leave home, I broke down in germany in a 7ton Rv and the recovery costs ran into 1000s, a tow off the motorway can cost 300 euro,s
    Paul

8. michaelc

michaelc Deleted User

In answer

Hi, breakdown cover is build into all transport insurrance in france as the costs are so high to get removed from motorways etc if anything goes wrong. I would travel within france without some sort of cover,
    Two years we broke down in our 2 year landrover, the rear axle went and we had no drive. I would of hated to thing what the cost of the transport off the motorway, trailer parking for two weeks until landrover sorted and hire car, taxes etc would of worked out at. But it was all sorted by the AA
    shop around and better deal, but don,t leave home without it.
    terry

9. zulurita

zulurita Funster

Looks like you are sorted now :BigGrin:

When you renew check out Safeguard motorhome Insurance which includes breakdown cover and all year cover for european touring and you do not need to contact them before travel.

Mine is through Comfort Insurance (used to have Safeguard) changed because:

1. Better price (breakdown cover included).
    2. I added home and travel insurance (could get 90 days for being away from house, can get up to 180 days).

It is worth checking around at renewal. I did get a quote from Saga but not as competative I thought because I would have had to phone up to extend time away from home and I don't want that hassle, especially if I forget to do so.

10. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

£160 for 66 days??????? :Eek!:

You are being totally ripped off!

My Breakdown recovery is with Europ Assistance through this link here

Breakdown cover - cheap European & UK car breakdown insurance

£59 with full cover throughout UK and Europe including Home breakdown as well. And thats for an entire year!!
    Also Europ Assist Breakdown will cover any Campervan or Motorhome up to 20 years old. There are not many breakdown services who would even dream of taking on 20 year old vehicles. Most want to charge you a whacking fee for a brand new motorhome that might only leave a driveway two or three times a year......as you have found out to your cost.

Yes Breakdown cover is necessary and yes it's also a good idea to check with your insurance company that you are covered. Dont forget to take your documents with you as well.....it's a legal requirement.

11. nahnotme

nahnotme Read Only Funster

Im pulling my hair out trying to get cover for longer than 90 days per single trip in europe, I have a 33 ft RV and wouldnt find it easy to change vehicle insures due to my proffesion.
    anyone any ideas ?

12. paulharrison

Have you tried Safeguard l have a combined policy with them and had my Rv recovered from germany Paul

13. nahnotme

Apparently I need a commercial policy as I go to gigs in my winni and carry equipment. Safeguard like most dont offer that type of cover.

14. bigCol

bigCol Read Only Funster

I've toured Europe on a motorbike, in a 2CV, and a campervan. For many years I never bothered with breakdown cover (it's like cycle helmets: only to be used if you're going to take full advantage of them, by crashing). Then, three years ago, I had a feeling something might happen to the van this time, so for the first time ever I took out breakdown cover. Sure enough, we eventually ground to a halt with back axle problems on a Sunday on a German motorway.
    We had to have the van taken to a garage, get a taxi to a hotel, another to the car hire place, make our way back to the ferry port, stay in hotels, get the train home from Dover, and wait a couple of weeks for the van to be transported back from Germany. Just imagine how much all that would have cost if we hadn't got breakdown cover:Eeek:.
    (I still don't wear a cycle helmet though!)

15. nahnotme

I wouldnt go far without it, so it looks like I can only go for 90 days unless someone comes up trumps. Me nerves are bad enough as it is. Probably made worse by my previous MH breaking down LOADS. Luckilly this ones behaving but spain is a long way from home.
    Someone did say make friends with someone with a spanish address and after the 90 days start a new policy with someone like ADAC who are more international. Would it not matter that it was a different address to where the vehichle is registered and insured ?
    Not that I condone such behaviour !!

16. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi dont even think about going without cover ,It could prove very expensive.:cry::cry::cry:Peter

17. staging lady

staging lady Funster

Like big col we broke down in the pyrenees last November . The clutch needed replacing. Europe assistance sent a low loader to take us to the garage. (400 euros we were told would havve been the cost,sent a taxi to take us to Tarbes to hire a car, sorted out accommodation.
    Without cover it would have cost a fortune.

18. vwalan

vwalan Funster

the way forward is to have your vehicle looked at by a good compitant mecanic before you set off. cause regular servicing etc helps keep an eye on things. we all do get problems sometimes that cant show easily. mine suffered gear box failure in spain, 700km in 4th gear not nice but i made it home. most problems can n will be fixed anywhere . i like to fix my own so i risked it as some tools wernt with me. if you cant fix it yourself then it could be fixed anywhere you still have to pay someone else so does it matter.

19. paulharrison

You are moving the goal posts here have you got a HGV licence you need to look at truck insurance Paul

20. nahnotme

Nah... no HGV licence just a pre 1997 one so I can only drive up to 7.5 ton .