Brave Norwegians! (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Sport
Exp
25 years
We have a garage in Harwich where the ferries go from. On Friday afternoon I had a call from a Norwegian gentleman who said he had an emergency with his motor home,:helpsos: the fuel was contaminated and he needed it drained out asap. I assumed he had put petrol into a diesel or vice versa as this happens all the time and told him to call in and we would try to help. Assuming he had just got off the ferry I asked if the van needed recovering to the garage but he said not, he had managed to bypass the fuel tank and would make his own way to the garage, ‘must have a gas tank as well’ I thought.
Anyway, an hour later he arrived. It turned out he and his friend had come over from Norway and travelled to Sheffield to collect a 1978 American RV which they had purchased for £3000 on eBay. Apparently due to the high level of tax in Norway if they bought an ancient vehicle it cost nothing to import and by doing this he had saved thousands. This battered and heavily stickered van had been standing for a year but was actually in quite good condition inside, it had a full tank of fuel and started so they paid and drove it away back to the ferry port. They stopped not far from where they had picked it up to make emergency repairs to the electrics but after a few more hours driving it stopped and wouldn’t run. He narrowed it down to contaminated fuel, made some emergency repairs and headed to us.
When he arrived we got the van in and inspected it – his emergency repairs consisted of his mate sitting in the back of the van holding a 25ltr container of fuel with the pipe running to the engine, thus ‘bypassing the tank’. We drained the fuel which turned out to be chip fat, and believe me not the Bio Fuel tyre of chip fat! – The workshop took on the smell of a fish & chip shop. After draining and re-filling with new fuel (he’d already put on a new filter) it started and run as sweet as anything!
Charged him £50 (1.5 hrs work) and off he went to get the ferry happy as Larry!!!!!::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

bill2b

Free Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
My Mondeo 1.8 TD used to run on chip oil straight out of the deep fat fryer :Smile:
And Tesco value oil.
Only small problem I had to replace the small hoses linking the injectors but once that was done there was no difference.
Did smell nice though :roflmto:

Love the story though just trying to imagine the poor bloke sitting there with his petrol can :ROFLMAO:

wayfarer

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Co. Clare. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
A slightly off topic question jaygee, where was he getting the ferry to. I didn't think there were any direct ferries to Norway now.

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Possibly getting the DFDS ferry to Esbjerg and then either driving up to Norway or getting the Copenhagen to Oslo ferry ? As you say, I don't think there is a direct route now. :Sad:

spiritsfree

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
Sandy, Beds.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I love that story...AND...it shows in today`s rather confused world....that good people are out there who help,and not, as it seems, ready to take advantage. £50-00 is a bargain, compared to the prices others would charge, so i say....well done and good on ya :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
his emergency repairs consisted of his mate sitting in the back of the van holding a 25ltr container of fuel with the pipe running to the engine,

nowt wrong with that in an emergency.....its known as 'ingenuity'. :thumb:

done it myself when the Suzuki jeeps tank made 'mad passionate' to a large jagged rock while off roading.

stinks a bit and don't smoke :Eeek:

geoff587

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Having worked abroad alongside the Norwegians for several years , nothing suprises me about the Scandahooligans except their ability to drink copious amounts of beer.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Agreed, Geoff, but the Norwegians can afford their prices.

We did put it over them twenty odd years ago. I was driving in a Monte, starting from Oslo. Twp of us went into a restaurant, told the waiter what we were about, and I introduced my co-driver as Keke Rosberg, the Finnish F1 driver, but that he had to be incognito because of his contract, so please make no fuss of him.

Waiter called over boss, and we had a slightly surreal conversation with 'Keke' managing a sort of pidgin English throughout. (Only Finns speak Finnish, no risk there.)

End of meal, asked for bill, and manager came over, and refused any payment. Highly embarrassed, I offered autographs, amd he was thrilled. Can't remember what I wrote, but 'Keke' signed up beautifully.

Tale not quite finished. Somehow the story got out, I was called before organisers, but luckily forewarned. I had prepared a Change of Name deed for my co-driver, dated the previous day. I produced this. A clever clogs then said we had no entry for that competitor. That, too, was trumped - 'Keke' produced a second deed, dated that day, changing his name back to the real one.

I'll not mention co-driver's real identity - don't want him embarrassed, even these years later...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back