Brake fluid. Does it need changing every 5 minutes? (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have a vacuum brake bleeding set which will draw all of the fluid down through the system until the new appears at the bottle , starting at the furthest from the master cylinder at the back then the opposite one then front NS, lastly the nearest to the master. There is a visual difference as the old stuff is DIRTY looking and has suspended gunge. All you have to do is keep making sure the master cylinder reservoir is topped up as it goes down quite fast. Some ABS systems cause a problem as they have pressure valves which might need overcoming .

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Sorry for not replying folks, I've been busy and 'off the air' over the weekend. Thanks for all the posts though.

@Neckender. They quoted me £407.84 for the service initially, plus the £55 for the brake fluid change. That is for a 20,ooo mile/2 year 'first' service- the initial service interval being 2 years.

I wound up with a discount price of £385.00. Praps that's just southern prices? I still think that's steep! The excuse they gave was that Boxers are large vehicles and the parts are expensive. Ok, so they throw in a courtesy car FOC or will collect 'free'. I don't really want someone swanning about in my MH thank you very much and Mrs W can pick me up, so I need neither.

Problem in this area is, there's not many dealerships that can accept a 7.2m x 3.0 m vehicle. I had already enquired elsewhere and after accepting the booking, I asked the lad to check, which he did and then said (laughing), "Oooo, good job you mentioned that sir, you would have lost your roof!" He then said that they had a branch in the Old Kent Road; which is ok if you want to drive up to the smoke and circumnavigate the congestion charge ! Arghhhh!

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks wingman, mine is due for it's first service in 6 weeks, but I've already changed the oil and filter twice myself as I've done 3 journeys to Benidorm.

John.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Brake fluid will absorb water.

Water is heavier than the brake fluid and will sink to the lowest point in the system.
No it doesn't. Water is completely miscible with brake fluid. Silicone (non-OEM) fluid has the effect you describe.

Dec 21, 2010
Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Vline
Exp
Since 1999
Changing of brake fluid every two years is a waste of money, the best way to test the fluid is to check the boiling point.

Keith

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
No it does not need changing every five minutes. you should have it done at the recommended time as per manufacturer of your vehicle on the service schedule. mileage does not come into it. Brakes are your most important saftey feature on your vehicle and you want them to perform correctly. Also you do not need to go to a main agent for your servicing even when its within its warranty period, so long as the correct parts , filters oil ect are used.( Purflux, Mecca, and other manufacture actually make the ones the manufuacture fit. ) This is part of anagreement with the EU called block exemption

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back