BP Ultimate v Supermarket diesel

Discussion in 'Top Tips & Tricks' started by Graham and Jane, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Graham and Jane

Graham and Jane Funster Life Member

We have started using BP ultimate and cant believe how much better the van is running. As we only live 2 min from Grangemouth refinery we see all the tankers filling up from the same pumps and I do realise the only real difference is the additives that company's put it. I am just amazed at the difference in the performance.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

I filled up with the stuff once by mistake. I got a bollocking from my fleet manager but it was worth 3mpg more for my Nissan Primastar work van!
    I thought 41 mpg from a fully loaded 3 tonne van was quite good!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Phill D

Phill D

i have used it on one full tank on the motorhome and " thought / felt" it ran better but on one tank i did think i could have just seen a "psychological " improvement in performance :rolleyes:

with the price down might be worth another shout

4. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

Can anyone tell me the real difference between BP or any other major brands and supermarket fuel if there is genuinely any.

5. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

How much is it?

6. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Dunno, but it leaves your EGR valve spotless!:)

Only joking!

• Like Like x 5
  7. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

I was going to say that no joking. However it is probably much dearer than the £1:10 I currently pay and proportionately no better off in terms of mpg.
    In terms of protecting and making your engine more efficient bye bye EGR

• Like Like x 1
  8. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Worth a watch about petrol but still worth it. I will be sticking to cheap as chips fuel.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Can you get ultimate diesil in red ?

• Like Like x 7
  10. Spanishsteve

Spanishsteve Funster

Honest John who has a Motoring column in the Telegraph swears by the Shell VPower fuel, he states that the mpg is improved and the additives clean the carbon off the engine.
    I try and fill up every 3rd tankful in my car with Shell, then supermarket fuel in between.

11. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

With the Tesco money off I think you are better off even if you get better mpg with ultimate Deisel

12. fastpat

fastpat Read Only Funster

This is what I was told to do by mechanical engineer, apparently the additives make quite a difference to engine wear.

13. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

my motorhome dont like supermarket fuel,run's underpowered does less MPG, i avoid it, and only use BP or ESSO.

• Like Like x 2
  14. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Not BP Ultimate I know, but the only time I really noticed a difference between the cheaper fuel supermarket fuels from the likes of Auchan and Champion, and that from a leading brand, was when we were in France during a cold frosty March.
    Every morning from cold, the engine (Fiat/Iveco 2.8TDi) would run a bit rough, lumpy, and a bit smokey when started, and the pull off was sluggish. :( I initially thought a duff glow plug, or a lazy injector was possibly the reason. :eek:
    The next couple of days (same cold temperatures), after filling with Total Diesel (but not their premium version) the engine started and ran smoothly as it should from cold, there was significantly less smoke from the exhaust, and the pull off was much smoother. :) I knew straight away, that it had to be a fuel related issue.
    At cruising speeds, I didn't notice a difference at all. :unsure:

Here in the UK, I've not noticed any differences in the starting or running of the MH engine, when using ASDA, TESCO, or ESSO fuel.
    The reason I mention ESSO, is because although it may be 1p a litre more than it's nearest rival TESCO, it is much closer, and I still get my Clubcard points. (y) They also sell Autogas, so I'm never stuck for a supply. :)

Unfortunately, our nearest ASDA filling station, is a good 25 miles away. :(

Cheers,

Jock.

15. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

Have always thought that BP SHELL provide a 'better' fuel although at a dearer price. Supermarkets attract due to cost only.

16. Pikeman

Pikeman Funster

I think this is a definitive test regarding performance. It is a shame they could not extend the test to cover MPG. Of course long term testing for engine wear would be virtually impossible, but seams to be the conssenus of the stated advantage of these super fuels. Keith :cool:

17. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Strange isn't it when I said a few weeks ago that sainsburys city diesel was basically inferior to branded fuel .I was nearly drummed out of motorhome fun for even mentioning it,so very pleased for the latest backing to my personal findings.:Eeek::clap2:

• Like Like x 9
  18. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

its sainbury's diesel that my motorhome does not like,haven't tried other supermarket diesel.

• Like Like x 1
  19. CazPaul

CazPaul Read Only Funster

My car also doesn't like the Sainsbury's diesel. the emissions light always comes on. Doesn't come on with Tesco or Asda diesel though, very strange.

Paul.

• Like Like x 4
  20. GAVLAD

GAVLAD Funster

I owned a 1974 VW campervan until last summer.
    I had spent £1000's on it over the years and had overhauled the engine amongst other things.
    With the petrol tank situated above and in front of the air cooled engine, engine fires are common, due to a breakdown in the quality of the fuel lines.
    The fuel lines were originally rubber.
    Up until recently, any decent VW air cooled owner would check and replace their fuel lines once every few years.
    However, over the past 18 months, there's been a spate of rapid deterioration of fuel lines, pumps and carbs.
    When tests have been carried out, this has resulted from the E5 & E10 Ethanol additives being added to the cheaper supermarket fuels.

I started fuelling up at my local supermarket as the fuel price was a lot cheaper than my nearby Shell and BP garages.
    The garage I used to take my VW to asked me what petrol I used and when I told him, he showed me some examples of damaged parts they'd had to replace on other peoples vehicles due to using supermarket fuel. They told me to start using the premier brands and if at all possible, to use Shell's V power, or BP's Ultimate as these wouldn't damage my fuel lines or certain metal parts in the carb.
    Since then, I've been wary of supermarket fuel and the cheaper brands. Up until then, I thought that the premium brands were just a gimmick.
    There was a study in Hayburner VW magazine which covers this subject.

• Like Like x 3