LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I've done a search and found a few related threads, but nothing that provides the specific answers I'm looking for.

My 2017 Boxer has single arm rests fitted to the left of the driver's seat and the right of the passenger seat. There is a lumbar support adjuster on the right of the driver's seat, in the position that the right arm rest would be mounted.

I'm happy to be without the lumbar support adjustment on the driver's seat and I'm happy to be without a redundant passenger seat arm rest.

Other than holes in the side of the passenger seat if I remove the arm rest, which I can cover up, my first question is this.... prior to assembly, are the seats identical, or actually manufactured as a left seat and a right seat ?

Same question regarding the arm rests, as at first glance, they could be interchangeable, with what looks like a plastic insert on the outside.

If the answer to both is that they are originally identical and are assembled to suit left or right, how feasible would it be for me to remove the passenger arm rest and use its fittings to fit it to the driver's seat ?

Has anyone already done this ?

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Ditto I miss the luxury/convenience of two arm rests on the Peugeot and if there is a way of fitting said missing arm rests I would like to know too.

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Ditto I miss the luxury/convenience of two arm rests on the Peugeot and if there is a way of fitting said missing arm rests I would like to know too.
If it can be done, I will be doing my best to do it.

Both my previous vans had twin rests and it was much more comfortable on long journeys, especially being able to rest my arms, but keeping both hands on the wheel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I'm fairly certain that the seats are identical apart from the seat belt stork position. I have a pair of armrests from my 2012 Boxer in the garage somewhere which I removed when I did the conversion if anyone needs them.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I was told by my dealer that the seats are different and would have to have extra framework welded/fixed in to accommodate the other rest, annoyed as my old Bolero had 2 rests, or cruising pegs as we called them, would like 2 again as well.:(

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The seats are usually different but there is a kit available to retrofit a right hand armrest to the drivers seat and left hand to passenger seat. If you email a message to me or phone the office on Tuesday when we're back after the bank holiday we can sort the details and give you a price.

D.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I came across this in my last (old) van, and retro fitting wasn't economic because of the lumbar support mechanism.

I have the same issue in my new van. One option was to upgrade to replacement seats.
My choice though, is that Regal Upholstery will fit a second (matching) armrest whilst covering the seats & cushions in the converters fabric.

It's not a cheap option but for me, worth it.
If @dave newell lvs option doesn't pan out, you could try calling Regal.

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
The seats are usually different but there is a kit available to retrofit a right hand armrest to the drivers seat and left hand to passenger seat. If you email a message to me or phone the office on Tuesday when we're back after the bank holiday we can sort the details and give you a price.

D.

Thanks Dave.

Having both seats done sounds a better option for selling the van on at some point and also means that I wouldn't have holes to hide if I removed the passenger rest.

Do you know if there is a valid reason for the seats coming with only one rest fitted, ie will they both fully rotate with the retrofitted rests in place ?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Not totally the same base vehicle but both our seats, with two armrests, rotate in our 2013 Ducato. You need to jiggle about a wee bitty by moving the seat back and forward, raising the armrest, etc. A few seconds to do once you get the procedure sussed out.

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Not totally the same base vehicle but both our seats, with two armrests, rotate in our 2013 Ducato. You need to jiggle about a wee bitty by moving the seat back and forward, raising the armrest, etc. A few seconds to do once you get the procedure sussed out.

Same here, both my previous vans were Ducato based and both had twin armrests, but I'm wondering if there's an actual physical and not just financial reason why Peugeot have gone for singles.

I know we complain about poor payloads, but a whole armrest ? :LOL:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Do you know if there is a valid reason for the seats coming with only one rest fitted, ie will they both fully rotate with the retrofitted rests in place ?
Yes, one hand should be on the steering wheel ! :giggle:
Joking aside normally even on cats they only have the inner one as the door furniture provides the outer rest.
Same here, both my previous vans were Ducato based and both had twin armrests, but I'm wondering if there's an actual physical and not just financial reason why Peugeot have gone for singles.

I know we complain about poor payloads, but a whole armrest ? :LOL:

Many vehicles, my last car included , could not have an arm rest on the door side as the door would not then be able to shut.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
but I'm wondering if there's an actual physical and not just financial reason

What gus has said ken...
Transit based so not quite the same but looked at fitting twin arm rests on the seats of a mk 7 self build. .. there was no room as the door card moulding was designed as a arm rest..
Also remember using another drivers seat as a front passenger seat and thinking I'll just move the arm rest over....
I wish lol.... it turned into a nightmare involving stripping the seat to do welding and modifying the arm rest so it would fit the other side of the seat.. ie they are handed. ..
Andy.

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, one hand should be on the steering wheel ! :giggle:
Joking aside normally even on cats they only have the inner one as the door furniture provides the outer rest.

That's fine if I want to drive one handed, but both hands 'should' be on the wheel ;) With both my previous vans, on long straight sections of motorway, I was able to keep both hands on the wheel and use the rests at the same time. To rest my right arm on the door ledge of the van, which is considerably wider than my car, requires letting go of the wheel with that hand and driving one handed.

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
What gus has said ken...
Transit based so not quite the same but looked at fitting twin arm rests on the seats of a mk 7 self build. .. there was no room as the door card moulding was designed as a arm rest..
Also remember using another drivers seat as a front passenger seat and thinking I'll just move the arm rest over....
I wish lol.... it turned into a nightmare involving stripping the seat to do welding and modifying the arm rest so it would fit the other side of the seat.. ie they are handed. ..
Andy.
That's the problem Andy, the gap between the side of the driver's seat and the door moulding doesn't seem any narrower than my previous vans and I'm thinking there should be enough room for a rest to be fitted and still allow the seat to swivel, as they did on the Ducatos.

It could be an expensive experiment, just find out the seat won't swivel round and I was hoping someone would have the definitive answer.

I'll be contacting @dave newell lvs during the week, if I have a signal.

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Please post the outcome of this inquiry as I am also interested in doing the same or replacing seats (Duccato)

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Please post the outcome of this inquiry as I am also interested in doing the same or replacing seats (Duccato)

My 2009 Bolero already had them fitted, I will miss not having the second one, but don't want all the faffing around changing seats, or any major alterations.

fredastaire

Free Member
Aug 16, 2018
Holbrook
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato
Exp
Since 2017
Message for Mikeco, Please may I ask if you still have those spare armrests in your garage? Kind regards from Fred

fredastaire

Free Member
Aug 16, 2018
Holbrook
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato
Exp
Since 2017
Forgive me Mikebeaches, i dont know how to read your reply above, please can you amplify? I am looking for the OE factory armrests from Fiat or Peugeot or Citroen late type vans to fit to my Ducato seats, I know ive got to add the metal plates inside the frames. kind regards from Fred

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Forgive me Mikebeaches, i dont know how to read your reply above, please can you amplify? I am looking for the OE factory armrests from Fiat or Peugeot or Citroen late type vans to fit to my Ducato seats, I know ive got to add the metal plates inside the frames. kind regards from Fred
I simply quoted your request and added ' @Mikeco ' because it will send an alert to Mikeco - the person who had the armrests available - so he will see your request. Otherwise, he might not click on this thread again.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Just noticed this but sorry they are no longer available.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Not sure this is of any use to you but just to let you know that my Peugeot based Autocruise pvc does have arm rest on both sides so obviously doable. I like having both, the only disadvantage is when I am trying to get my bfa from front to back to dash to the loo!!!

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

D.

Please copy me into details... Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back