Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I just bought one of jump starters from Amazon, seems pretty cheap at £38.99. Its a very small unit and comes in a case with a selection of leads and plugs so you can charge up your phones, laptop etc.

The big question is, will such a small unit start a vehicle?

I am going down to the storage unit tomorrow to try it out on the moho (if the battery is flat). In the meantime I just tried it on my car (1600cc petrol) which had an almost completely flat battery - wouldn't work lights etc). Even though I had only partly charged up the jump starter battery I connected it to my car battery terminals and the engine burst into life!

Starting a 2.3 litre diesel engine is probably a different kettle of fish but its looking promising so far.

Paul

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Perceived wisdom suggests the negative connection from the charger should be connected directly to the vehicle body earth & not the negative battery terminal & most modern vehicles have access to the negative battery terminal restricted / hidden to ensure this.

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
I've got one like that, I think the idea is that it will charge the flat battery if you leave it long enough.... ipso facto, it is a battery charger. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Easyliving

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I've got one like that, I think the idea is that it will charge the flat battery if you leave it long enough.... ipso facto, it is a battery charger. (y)

I only just know one end of a battery from another but I don't think its charging the battery. When I started my car just now I just connected the unit to the battery, turned the ignition key and vrooom. No time to charge the battery itself.

Paul

Sep 12, 2014
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Transit coachbuilt
Exp
8years & counting
No, starts right away, used it twice in work, both times the guys laughed at me when I took it out of the case - soon changed their minds though !
Cheers keith
Ps recommend you get one just keep it charged up !

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I'd be interested to see if this starts your van if the battery is flat.
I have a Ring power pack/ jump starter, it's big, but it works well. If your power pack works, it might be worth getting one to keep in the van and save a bit of space.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
We have two of these micro-starter things.

One has started Udo (2.9 Mercedes diesel) from completely flat twice with no issues and my 4.2 litre Range Rover and my 5.8 litre Mustang. The other has started our 2.5 petrol Jaguar and 5.5 litre Mercedes without hesitation.

Do I like them? Definitely!

Do I recommend them? Unequivocally!

OP
OP
Easyliving

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I'd be interested to see if this starts your van if the battery is flat.
I have a Ring power pack/ jump starter, it's big, but it works well. If your power pack works, it might be worth getting one to keep in the van and save a bit of space.

I've been down to the storage site this morning to pay another year's fees (£190 - bargain!) but I went and forgot to take the van keys with me. We only used it recently so the battery would have been okay anyway.

I think @Bellini 's post says it all.

Paul

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Have got one similar and so has a mate, and I have seen him start his RV with it when not even the dash lights were lit up.

Sep 12, 2014
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Transit coachbuilt
Exp
8years & counting
There's a video on YouTube showing one starting a 6.3 litre mercedes

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun