Books for the Kindle

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by normanandsue, Apr 6, 2014.

1. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

The time is drawing near for our 6 week trip to the continent; as we have downsized I no longer have room for my books so I am having to load up my Kindle but I could do with a greater range of authors to chose from. I don't want to load my Kindle with rubbish so I wondered if some of my friends on Funsters might let me know what books they have read and enjoyed on their Kindles.

Many thanks

Norman

I have completed the series of the following; Dan Brown, Wilbur Smith and Jeffrey Archer

2. The old girl

The old girl Read Only Funster

My hubby loves Clive cluster

3. audlin

audlin Funster

I love Ian Rankin's DI Rebus crime novels set in Edinburgh - and that's not just because I'm Scottish too!

• Like Like x 1
  4. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

I also have read most of Ian Rankins books and enjoyed them.

Other authors i enjoy are Stephen Leather, James Patterson, Harlan Coben, Kathy Reichs, Patricia Cornwell and Lee Child who does the Jack Reacher novels and having read them I decided not to watch the film as the books decription of Jack Reacher is of a really big guy, star of the film Tom Cruise is a little wimp in comparison.

I came across some books by Janet Evanovich, entitled :-
    One for the money.
    Two for the dough.
    Three to get deadly and
    Four to score.

Never laughed so much when reading them, so if you like something a bit light hearted now and again they are worth trying.

5. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

"Snow" by Ryan Clifford.

"Thaw" by Ryan Clifford.

Both are a good read and the Author is a fellow Funster.

:Cool:

6. Ven

Ven Funster

Hi,

Jo Nesbo writes some great crime thrillers and if you haven't read The girl with the dragon tattoo trilogy they are worth a try by Stieg Larsson (apologies if I'm duplicating.

For something a bit different Neil Gaiman writes some weird and wonderful books - Dave and I both enjoyed The Ocean at the end of the Lane by him. It's decidedly peculiar but very intriguing.

Also we both read The Circle by David Eggars which in this Internet age is frighteningly close to home!

7. peter21

peter21 Read Only Funster

I like Alexander McCall Smith...his 'Trains and Lovers' at £2-99 on kindle is a good introduction to his gentle style.
    If you want something meatier, 'The Glass Room' by Simon Mawer is a very powerful and moving book.
    Guide books...It has to be 'Motorhome and Caravan Guide to Aquitaine' by Peter Jennings, (preferably for a reader with a colour screen).

8. Madwife

Madwife Deleted User

If you are into fantasy science fiction try the Morgan Rice series - just finished book 12 - book one is free on Amazon so you can try it and if you like it then get the series - I was hooked from the start and read the final four books in two days!

The other series that I have bought and read recently are by Brendan O'Carroll (of Mrs Brown fame). They are just hilarious although that may be because I can identify all the characters and places in Dublin of my youth!

I have gone through Amazons free list and downloaded lots from there and most have been good reads and if the book is rubbish you can delete and move on as it's not cost anything. Many authors seem to put the first of a series on there for free and if you like the style of the book then of course you can get the rest.

Happy reading

Kath

9. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

I tend to go for any box sets that are on offer - just to try anything new.
    Latest was by Duncan Lyndsey - the barbershop seven - absolutely hilarious story about a serial killer suspect who is a Glasgow barber ! Bit random but a fab read and made me lol on the train every day!:thumb:

10. Jazzbow

Jazzbow Read Only Funster

Lee Child is a must!
    Christopher Brookmyre, Scottish bloke, has to be good :BigGrin:
    James Paterson, he wrote 'along came a spider' good series
    Ben Elton is also a fantastic writer
    Jeffrey Deaver, I love the Lincoln Rhyme series (the Bone Collector)

Have a look on ebay, for something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KINDLE-BO...Collections_Lots_Books_EH&hash=item27e1dea5d9 You can covert different formats with calibre (sorry if you knew that already)
    enjoy :thumb:

11. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

Sorry I don't understand this! I have looked at the link and you get 2500 books but how do you put them onto Kindle?

12. Jazzbow

you load the disc on to your pc then using calibre e book management , transfer what you want to your e reader via usb. It's easy :thumb:

http://calibre-ebook.com/download

(if the disc has the book you want in kindle format but you want it for ipad for example, calibre will change the format )

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  13. Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy Funster

For any kindle user I would recommend

http://uk.ereaderiq.com/

Its a web based service with many features including all the free and 99p books updated daily.
    However the feature I find useful is the price tracking service which notifies you when the book in your wish list/tracker list to drops to a certain price (you decide your price point).
    Last week, for one day only michael connolly last coyote dropped to £1.49, now back to 4.99
    it also shows
    - price history, again you will be surpirsed how much kindle boos go up and down. If a book hasnt changed for about 6 months its unlikely to.
    - all the most watched books so again you get a good idea of whats out there and interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  14. simbadog

simbadog Funster

I use this site regularly for free books :Smile: http://uk.freereadfeed.com/?good=list#t
    Select Pick from a list under genres Tab
    Click on the genres you are interested in then click on apply selected genres
    :Smile:

15. Mike B

Mike B Funster

16. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

David Baldacci for lightweight US based thrillers. Secret agents, crooked presidents that sort of thing. He has written many books and apparently sold over 100 million copies of them.

For something different try Colin Cotterill, his Dr Siri series, set in Laos about the one and only coroner in the country are funny and take you to a part of the world far away from our hum-drum shores. Murders and noodles sums them up.

For mind-boggling Sci-Fi Iain M Banks is unbeatable, the man's imagination was extraordinary plus a very good story teller. He will be missed.

17. lunarman

lunarman Funster

I have a kobo which uses epub as its format. I also use Calibre which stores books in epub format, I assumed that this is because I have told calibre that I use a kobo.

If I connect a Kindle to my laptop will calibre transfer books to it in the correct format? Do I have to change the settings in Calibre if so which?

Lunarman

18. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

James Patterson and Lisa Gardner for me :thumb:

19. roamingman

roamingman Funster

Hi if you do like fantasy and paranormal fiction, please check out a new author,
    at http://www.charlesfbond.com/index.html
    Does have a few e books to see.

I am a bit cheeky because he is my son.

20. Jazzbow

Calibre recognises your reader and before transferring a book it will ask if you want to format to suit your device. I'm not sure it will work if the book is DRM protected.