Blown Air Heating (2 Viewers)

Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Hi

I have put down a deposit on a Burstner Ixeo Time 745 which comes with blown air heating.

my caravan had an Alde wet system which was brilliant and made the caravan nice and toasty very quickly.

is the blown air system any good, do you have to run it on gas and electric to get a decent heat?

is it noisy at night?

maybe having buyers remorse before I even have the van!

Robin

Sep 11, 2016
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I had alde in my caravan and now blown air in the mh. Alde is slow to warm up and it used to drive me nuts in the night when it cooled down making all sort of irritating noises. blown air fast to heat up but in winter you need to fire it up on gas and elec then when hot just use ehu.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Mine has gas powered blown air heating.

It works well as far as I can tell.

Not noisy.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Blown air heating very effective on gas but can be noisy if the fans running at full speed though once warm it slows down a lot. Heat output on electric alone is only suitable for maintaining a temperature.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
the blown air heating normally come in 2 sizes ; 4kw & 6kw both run on approx 2kw of electeric and the rest on gas. they can be run on both or either.

we have the 6kw version and have found it very effective.

you will need to check and manage the openings of the vent outlets to direct the air flow to where you choose to want it.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
On 240V the heating seams ineffective but go back in the van after an hour and it will be nice and warm.
Gas is the quickest or gas and 240V.
You could also add a Chinese Diesel Air Heater as another way of heating Your van. Burstners are really good van's, part of the Hymer Group.

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
We had some concerns when we bought our moho, after we read about "sounds like Concorde ... " and fan needs to run all the time ... ", not least as we do a lot of wildcamping [mainly abroad].

However, we, and you, have nothing to fear; if you're on elec it does run on gas initially to get up to temperature if it's cold, and then maintains the temperature with electric. The fan is quite noisy for a short time 'till you're [quickly] up to temperature, after that you won't hear it.

When you're not on hookup the fan does run all night but you won't hear it - and we've been out in sub-zero temperatures on several occasions. The fan uses so little power you have nothing to fear about running your leisure battery down - the power consumption is tiny and hardly impacts at all.

Enjoy your new van and don't fret, it will be fine - we wouldn't want to chnage for anyting different now.

OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Thanks everyone, I am somewhat reassured.

When I viewed the fan it was not really very warm but the gas tank was empty and I was assured by the reseller that the heating would be fine! :)

My preference would be Alde but I could not find a van configuration I liked with Alde heating, something had to give and it turned out to be the Alde heating system!

Fingers are firmly crossed!!!!!

Steve938

Free Member
Feb 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Bailey
I'm in very much the same position - been searching for a new van for months and months now but realisation has dawned that one of 'must haves' will probably have to be sacrificed.
I won't compromise on wood-free construction, GRP side walls and XPS insulation but I think that Alde is going to have to be sacrificed to get the other 'must haves' and the other features that we want.
Currently we have Alde but have also fitted diesel blown air to give quicker warm up and tend to use the blown air quite a lot, so I don't think it's going to be as big a deal as I imagine.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I've never found circumstances where I'm waiting for the Alde to warm up? I set the temperature the night before we're due to leave home. The engine heat exchanger takes over whilst travelling (although the gas is on too). On site it uses gas or electric if on EHU, night-time set-back takes care of overnight. I don't touch the controls again until it's back home on the drive where I reset it to 8 degrees. I would not willingly have another van with blown air.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Alde heating systems are heavier than Truma, so you will be getting a bit more payload instead. The Truma is fine (quiet) overnight. Run it on gas all times if you want decent performance. If EHU is available, it will use electricity whenever possible, only using gas to 'catch-up' (the same applies to Alde). There really isn't much difference between the two systems. enjoy your Burstner!

Feb 3, 2020
hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Hit the road in 2014
mines a blown air system warms up quickly and no noticeable noise,

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
We had Alde and I was dreading going back to blown air. I have to say though, the Truma system is excellent and I would get another tomorrow.

As others have said, works best on gas, but once up to temperature fine on electric and quiet enough to not wake me up.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I believe it is 6KW on gas 1.8KW on electricity and 5.8KW on combined.

OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
The fact that everyone is saying it needs gas to really get warmed up initially in the cold, does explain why it was not really getting warm just on electric.

Oh well, I have a delivery date now in 10-11 days time so I will be able to find out for myself! :)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We went to view a van recently, blown air heating, don't know how long it had been on for but it was toasty, and on electric only as no gas bottle in the locker. it was 4 degrees outside.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Alde heating systems are heavier than Truma, so you will be getting a bit more payload instead. The Truma is fine (quiet) overnight. Run it on gas all times if you want decent performance. If EHU is available, it will use electricity whenever possible, only using gas to 'catch-up' (the same applies to Alde). There really isn't much difference between the two systems. enjoy your Burstner!
The Alde controller is definitely more fiddly to operate and less intuative than the Truma.

BishBosh

Free Member
Sep 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Upgrades!!! of course
We have a Burstner Ixeo and have a Truma heater. I have retro fitted the inet box and put a free sim from Asda into it. I don’t pay anything for the sim but it will still accept txt messages to turn on the heater whilst we are out, I don’t get confirmation it’s turned on and I usually remote turn on about 20 mins before we get back it easily gets to 19 degrees and is toasty warm by the time we get in.
Have been using the motorhome several times this winter and at night I set the heating to come on at 14 degrees. Our bed sits above the heater and it does not usually wake me or the my wife, if I do wake it’s reassuring to hear it running very quietly.
If we are a little cold it soon warms up.So, in a nutshell it’s great as others have said....
Contrast that to a webasto/ eberspacher we had in our narrowboats which are like mini rocket engines when firing up its a world apart....

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We have alde in the van and truma in the caravan------ prefer the alde but it would not be a deal breaker with the right van-------- but we do use the engine to heat van and water when driving in cold, that is a massive plus for the alde imho!!

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I agree with many of the comments thus far.
We had Alde in our caravan, and absolutely loved it, as others have said it heats up the van differently with no cold spots inside cupboards, or wardrobes.
It was on my wish list for a MH, but our new German built van, didn't have the Alde option, but did have double insulated floors.
It came with a Truma 6E, and it works well, the only time I have heard complaints about the Truma not being warm enough is when they fit the smaller 4E to a large van, which is normally only fitted to smaller vans.like PVC's for example
I have also met people with German Vans, that have the German spec, Gas Only for heating no Electric element.
Just make sure you have a Truma 6E, with the electric elements and you should be happy(y)
PS: no the Truma is not noisy, unless the fan is turned to Boost from ECO.

LES

Apr 21, 2014
Hertford
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
9years
Had a Truma 6 in the Burstner 726 that warmed the front of the van but the ducting to the rear bed area and garage did little to bring any heat despite shutting the front vents at night. I have no personal evidence that Alde would be better but I used to dream of a nice little radiator under the bed.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Ours is blown air...toasty warm and very efficient!

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
The Alde should be good....made in Sweden, I think. However, the Alde, being a wet system needs more maintenance. Topping up and replenishing the system every 3 or 5 years sounds like a chore. And how easy is it to repair, if the pipework/radiators start leaking.

Think I'll stick with the virtually maintenance-free blown air Truma, thankyou :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back