Blinds up or down

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by betterthenatent, Nov 3, 2010.

1. betterthenatent

betterthenatent Read Only Funster

Since we got our motorhome in August we have pulled the blinds down when the van was not in use. however I was talking to my neighbour who has a caravan, and he says that he was advised to leave the blinds up when not in use and cover all soft furnishings to avoid fading. the reason being, that the springs in the blinds become week and they eventually wont roll up. I must say that one of them is a bit sluggish. But what is the point of having blinds if you are not going to use them. :Wink:

2. Gooney

Gooney Funster

I have a new MH with little stickers on the windows showing a diagram of a blind half closed with a tick next to it and a blind fully closed with a cross next to it. Apparently this means you should not close the blind fully because it has been found that strong sunlight reflecting off the silvered side of the blind generates enough heat to cause the sealed window unit to crack!!

3. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

When we had a caravan we were told the same and whilst they can be retensioned they will eventually fail - as a part of the habitation check they should be checked and retensioned - it was always the fly screen that was the first that seem to play up in the American we have now they are the concertina type so they can be up or down to suit. In an earlier van we had it had curtains and we alway shut the curtains when we left it and the curtains faded so we had to replace them

4. Dalek

Dalek Read Only Funster

We were also told not to keep blinds down for same reason you stated. We have never closed the curtains and they are as new as the day we brought it out of the showroom.

Dale

5. W18BLA

W18BLA Funster

Yes this is true never leave the blinds closed for long periods, It used to be my job to wind them things up again when broke not a nice job :cry:

Plus if one does break you don't want to know the cost :Eeek:

6. andyman

andyman Read Only Funster

3 Caravans and 1 motorhome. Always left the blinds down and never had a problem.

Andy

7. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Always close all the blinds and never once had an issue with springs weakening..

8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i always drew the blinds on the kontiki when not in use to stop the sun fading the various fabrics BUT.....i went out to the van at the weekend and the blinds wouldnt retract......too cold.

once the van warmed up a bit they went down ok.