Black smoke from exhaust

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Timetraveller, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Timetraveller

Timetraveller Funster

Just noticed black smoke coming out of exhaust when going uphill. Also temp gauge goes up at same time then returns to normal. No loss of power, OK on flat and downhill, driven at a steady 60-65mph most of the time. Do you think its fuel related rather than engine oil which is still clean and correct level. Its a Fiat 2001 2.8JTD with 40k on clock. Any ideas?:helpsos:

2. JJ

JJ Funster

Not sure about black smoke... maybe worn injectors... someone here will know...but climbing up hill will naturally make your engine work harder and therefore get hotter... then cools down again when not working so hard...

It's nature... just as I get hotter when reading some of the posts here and then cool down later after a lie down...:Rofl1::Rofl1:

JJ :Cool:

3. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

If it's a diesel, white smoke is a problem. Black smoke is normal, as is a small rise in temp because you are pushing the engine that bit harder. Excessive temp rises could harbour more problems though like head gasket, or water pump probs.

4. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Black smoke in unburned diesel - so excess fuel through being floored, you can reduce this when you get used to the vehicle, by reducing how much throttle you have, without making a difference to the power required. You will hit an average, where the fuel being delivered is sufficient - it will save fuel mainly!

The temp gauge does move about on french vehicles - when the engine is working hard it will get hotter. So long as it doesn't go into the red, and falls back quickly there is nothing to worry about.

Make sure as a precaution that your fan is working if it is getting too near the red.

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

if it has an easy life on the flat....mid speed gear changes etc... then it's normal to get some black smoke when asked to work hard.
    only around 90% of diesel actually gets fully burnt...the remainder of which is what causes the sooty deposits under load.

oil burning will be blue smoke.

when was your air filter last changed....that can also cause it.

6. Vic

Vic Funster

As a very very rough guide,
    black smoke = too much fuel - injectors or fuel pump timing
    blue smoke = burning oil - worn valves / piston rings
    white smoke = water in cylinder - head gasket

7. ehuplad

ehuplad Read Only Funster

Check your air filter as John suggested,

We where always taught to start with easy solutions first, Not good to whip out your injectors when your only issue may be a dirty air filter. :Eeek::Eeek:

8. Timetraveller

Timetraveller Funster

I'll check filter as suggested. Is there any truth in the rumor that cheap supermarket fuel is crap? we did have a full tank of it when we started to first notice it. :Doh:My other theory is that when SWMBO is driving she won't 'thrash' it, thinks she's driving a limo around the country lanes :Rofl1:

9. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

as others have said-----start with air filter------I would then move on to the rest of air intake system---leaks in inter-cooler/hoses from turbo etc----
    A lot depends on whether the black smoke is a new thing ??
    Good luck
    Nigel

10. Apache

Apache

I have just noticed black smoke from my ducato when on the pedal but no temp gauge rise. I had it serviced just a couple of weeks ago and noticed that the so called expert mechanic has over filled the oil. Wondered if that might cause crankcase pressure and somehow be starving the engine of sufficient air ?
    The other theory I have is it could be an air supply pipe collapsing in on itself when the turbo sucks hard and reducing the amount of air going into the engine . Less air causes a less than perfect burn so more unburnt fuel goes out of the exhaust as black smoke . Any ideas ?

11. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Your van is just working hard on the hill I would not worry to much maybe give her a good service and injector cleaner .
    bill

12. Jonkil

Jonkil Funster

Could be EGR valve sticking.... can cause excessive black smoke.

13. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

No
    How many supermarkets own a refinery ?
    If they answer to the previous question is "none", then where do supermarkets get their fuel from ? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Most supermarkets get there fuel from ether BP shell or Esso refinery's my brother has been running tankers out of Immingham and refinery all over the country for ten years and supermarket's take there fuel Frome the same tanks as he dose
    and sometimes they will fill with the ultimate stuff for general sale it is all dependant on price on the day
    so you never know you might be giving your van a treat some times.
    super markets have relatively new tanks your probably better getting your fuel there than more established filling stations.
    bill

15. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Hi @Timetraveller if you are using cruise control on the hills that will floor the throttle to keep to set speed and will produce a bit of black smoke initially but it should settle down once the turbo catches up and the fuel air ratio is a batter balance.

16. Timetraveller

Timetraveller Funster

Thanks for your reply Martin, but if you're quoting my post have a look at the date, its a few years old now. The problem was an 'exhaust gas gate' on the turbo which was stuck open. Personally thats over my head :rolleyes: but the mechanic put it right.(y)

17. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

White smoke, could be turbo failure as well, but then would notice big drop in performance, best try somme injector cleaner first.

18. WillH

WillH Funster

If you floor it going uphill try lifting your foot just a fraction and seeing if the smoke eases, this is normal. If you floor it at lower revs the turbo will not supply enough air to burn all the fuel hence the black smoke, ease off, or change down to increase the revs. Also, if you've been toddling along rather than zipping along there may be some carbon deposits that get burnt off when the exhaust temperature rises.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

20. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

I was, but what's a few years between friends. The exhaust gas waste gate opens when the turbo reaches full boost, once open it prevents any further rise in intake air pressure. As the waste gate was open you would be loosing boost pressure so not getting enough air to burn the fuel that the throttle position was putting in hence the black smoke and I would imagine a drop in performance.

Anyway water under the bridge now.

Martin

• Like Like x 1