Black 'bits' in the hot water (1 Viewer)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
While we were away I noticed black bits in the washing up bowl and on investigation they are coming out of the hot tap only and not the cold one. They are quite heavy as the drop straight to the bottom of the water. We have been heating the water to 60deg C on both gas and electric. Is it water heater clean out time do you think and proprietary brands or citric acid if available?

Ta very muchly.

OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Just the sort of answer I would expect from a Glossop lad. We use coke or anthracite don't you know :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Paul, the instructions in my Hymer manual, for cleaning and descaling the stainless steel Truma hot water tank, says to use white wine vinegar.

I must admit, in all my years of Caravans and MHs, the only time I've experienced black bits in the water, was from the Thetford toilet rinse tank. I've been fortunate enough to have never experienced it from any hot water tank. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Thanks Jock, were away this weekend so I'll try to get a 'sample' oooer Mrs. To see if I can see what it is. As I said its heavy rather that floaters, wonder if it's rust or sumfink? (n)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I was going to suggest it's black bacteria that can grow in hot moist places.. like inside the hot tap.. but if they hare heavy and sink, do you have a carbon filter perhaps.. If so could be it breaking up and it's bits of carbon you see ?

How hard are they ?

OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Were away this weeken so I will investigate further.Not seen a carbon filter Jim just a small particle filter but I will have a good look around.
Thanks for the suggestions (y)

OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Well I'm 99% sure it's rust but confused where it's coming from. I've ran the cold water taps in the kitchen and bathroom and not seen anything. I've ran the hot water in the bathroom and can't see anything but in the kitchen sink it's there and its metallic a magnet attracts it which makes it ferrous. So is it the heater or the tap I wonder?(n)
Deffo not rubber it's hard and gritty but why only the kitchen? Tap seems to be made of alloy which wouldn't be attracted by the magnet.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Told you about putting your old teabags into the water tank........:(

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Not on the van but in the house I fitted some sort of a filter to the combination boiler... It's on the primary heating side which does get hot..60/70 deg C I would think.. The filter is a magnetic rod and when I clean that every year it's a fine black dust like material that is on the magnetic filter.... as it's on the primary side there is no chance of it appearing at taps .. but it could be a similar build up in your boiler... but would expect to see it at all taps I suppose..
Ta andy

OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Not on the van but in the house I fitted some sort of a filter to the combination boiler... It's on the primary heating side which does get hot..60/70 deg C I would think.. The filter is a magnetic rod and when I clean that every year it's a fine black dust like material that is on the magnetic filter.... as it's on the primary side there is no chance of it appearing at taps .. but it could be a similar build up in your boiler... but would expect to see it at all taps I suppose..
Ta andy
Yes Andy that's a Magnaclean, fitted many but their massive for a Moho install. I'm more worried what falling apart to be honest, pump, heater, tap?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Yes Andy that's a Magnaclean, fitted many but their massive for a Moho install. I'm more worried what falling apart to be honest, pump, heater, tap?
Lol.. Wasn't suggesting it was suitable for Mh. ... Just that the boiler could be producing a black scale
But why only at one tap unless that's a quirk of the pipe runs preventing it from appearing anywhere else...
Andy

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
I had the same with an Adria caravan, was told it was rubber , due to cheap pipes being used , it got so bad the filter on the end or the sink tap was full of rubber filings

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I'll have more time this week when I shut the Moho up till our next trip so will bugger about and see what I can find. (y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the only ferrous metal in the system is inside the water heater. may well be a tell tale sign the heater element is failing. unless this is an old van with a carver cascade water heater. then it may be the main bolt that holds the tank together. you can buy service kits for those on ebay

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Check to see if there is a filter fitted inside the end of the other taps that is catching the particles there so will stop them from coming out - if so then see if you can remove them and run the water through, that way you'll know if it's coming from a source that's affecting all outlets or just the sink hot water one.

If it is just the hot tap it could be the inside of the tap that's starting to corrode a bit - some kitchen taps have a filter on the end, some don't. When we had a previous MH there was a small filter inside the joint between the pipe and the tap itself which used to get black particles in it so I used to periodically clean it out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back