Biscay last night (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
i was doing all right in a force 10 storm in the North sea when the guy sat next to me who had been eating ice cream puked up over me ,that was it ,i had my head down the porcelean telephone calling for my uncle hughie ,that was the only time ive been sea sick

Basically the same happened to me my first blue water trip, we were taking an LCT , first stop Malta. Flat bottom, 4ft draft when light ship, blunt bow, Bay of Biscay, about Force 8. I was weathering it OK until the guy next to me upchucked.
That was it! I upchucked for 3 days!

Deleted User
We crossed back to the UK on the Cap Finistere Easter Saturday forecast was not good, stugeron before sailing, straight to bed and stayed horizontal, wife is a worse sailor than me and I am not good and both slept through the worst of it.

Things had calmed a little by 9 the next morning so I was up for brekky, it takes a lot to keep me away from a free brekky:) wife stayed in bed until mid afternoon but no chundering:)

I think the 'stay horizontal' thing works best, for us anyway. Don't think there is a lot of difference between the Cap F and the Pont Aven, had bad crossings on both and felt ill on both

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Basically the same happened to me my first blue water trip, we were taking an LCT , first stop Malta. Flat bottom, 4ft draft when light ship, blunt bow, Bay of Biscay, about Force 8. I was weathering it OK until the guy next to me upchucked.
That was it! I upchucked for 3 days!
My dad was in Malta in 1943, ive got a photo of him signed malta 1943 ,he was also the Gunner in LCT,s at such lovely beach landings such as dieppe,salerno,sicily,and D day, dont know if he upchucked:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
nation of seafarers...yeah right, Bleddy landlubbers:D

The worst ever trip I had in the RN was across the biscay...when it was mirror calm, no wind, no sound-not even the bowwaves were making a noise.
Whole ship of 160 blokes were spooked for the whole crossing..
Best was going through a tropical cyclone in the indian ocean...only 5 of us werent affected. Absolutley awesome fun(y)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Should have gone to Skeggy.

36489e9dccfe374ae9a6ad55b3d309f0.jpg

(1960s Childhood trips remembered.)

Worst it has been for me in about 10 crossings.

Go Dover to Calais then spend two days driving through France using aires. Loads of extra spending money when you arrive :)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
As I say to all "English" who suffer the "mal de mare". You are in the very best company. the Admiral Lord Nelson, "upchucked" every voyage!!. And yes in a 20 year career I too had my "moments". Having to carry on working regardless helped!!.

Pete

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
(1960s Childhood trips remembered.)

Go Dover to Calais then spend two days driving through France using aires. Loads of extra spending money when you arrive :)

We drove down but we were so tired we booked the ship home.

When we are retired we will just drive slowly down (y)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Go Dover to Calais then spend two days driving through France using aires. Loads of extra spending money when you arrive :)[/QUOTE]

Been on few rough crossings, the only time I felt sick was Calais to Dover....
..... the ship was rolling so much the overflowing toilets and puke were pouring over the step onto the deck...........

(y)

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
We crossed back to the UK on the Cap Finistere Easter Saturday forecast was not good, stugeron before sailing, straight to bed and stayed horizontal, wife is a worse sailor than me and I am not good and both slept through the worst of it.

Things had calmed a little by 9 the next morning so I was up for brekky, it takes a lot to keep me away from a free brekky:) wife stayed in bed until mid afternoon but no chundering:)

I think the 'stay horizontal' thing works best, for us anyway. Don't think there is a lot of difference between the Cap F and the Pont Aven, had bad crossings on both and felt ill on both

We were on the same boat as you, no medication, no booze, same as you, pretty much straight to bed and stayed horizontal till morning, not the best nights sleep we ever had and didn't bother with breakfast even though it was free! but wouldn't worry too much about a similar forecast now and still prefer it to flying. We were right at the front of the boat, cheap inside 2/4 cabin, not a bad idea when you don't really want to watch and hear the sea much. Bunks facing down the boat, sorry sure there is better terminology! Not sure I would have liked a top bunk though. Sorry for your daughter @Chris big deal for her!
Amazed when we got back in motorhome nothing out of place!

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Went through a storm in the bay of biscay a couple of years ago in April on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship. 16 metre waves, p&o and celebrity ships behind us sent back to Portsmouth as too small to cope with the storm! Not a nice experience and definitely wouldn't want to do it on a ferry. Short Dover Calais crossing for me every time

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I went to the isle of man TT in '76.....

Only one end of the converted fishing boat that passed as a ferry in the water at any time.
Return trip a week later.....like a mill pond.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Best place to be on a ship in rough seas....

Center of ship fore and aft, port and starboard and as near deck and keel center as possible.

Very little yaw, pitch and roll there....but you need your eyes closed.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We've booked an inside cabin for the 20th this month. Hoping for a better trip This time. What's the free breakfast you talking about, didn't have one of them the last time?
I want one, I'll have taken my seasickness pills so ill be ok!!!!
We had an outside cabin last time and could see the swell of the waves from the window and feel the stabilisers bashing into the waves at night while nearly rolling out of the bunk.I put the mattress on the floor in case I fell out!!
I wasn't sick though. I stayed horizontal too.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
We've booked an inside cabin for the 20th this month. Hoping for a better trip This time. What's the free breakfast you talking about, didn't have one of them the last time?
I want one, I'll have taken my seasickness pills so ill be ok!!!!

Club voyage you get a free allowance for continental just a bit extra to pay for full monty.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I'm so glad it's such an expensive crossing - removes any temptation for me to (foolishly) book it :D

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
In sept 2015 we came back and waves were going over the bow, I thought it interesting, wife not bothered, grandson was green and hated it, never slept.
I had a few quiet ales, bit o nosh, then a wonderful rocking to sleep.
Rock and roll, but must admit we are driving down to Sth Spain in May for something different, no plan, just going.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Went through the Bay of B on a flat bottomed military "landing ship Logistic" called LANCELOT in the 60's and it was so calm the Captain stopped the ship and put out the shark nets so that anyone who wanted to, could go for a swim. Very weird and I didn't fancy all that water underneath me, so stayed on board. Wimp, I know !!
But a very lucky crossing and we flew back !!
Mitch.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017

Works for us too.
Also havent noticed any difference between the two ships when its rough and e have been on both several times.
Currently on Cap Finistere and its not too bad but we arent out in the middle of the Bay yet!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back