Bike covers

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Munchie, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Just got a couple of new bikes, when we had bikes some years ago we bought a cover for them. Hell fire, putting it on was worse than a tugger putting up his awning :Eeek:
    So do you cover your bikes or not? :BigGrin:

2. neilmac

neilmac Read Only Funster

Fiamma bike cover here.

Horrible thing to use once covered in dust and road muck :Eeek:

I'm tempted to just leave it off, but it keeps things reasonably tidy and by the time my numberplate board is strapped on and the red and white striped board is fixed on.... I suppose it makes the bikes a little harder to get at to steal? :RollEyes:

3. Hopesy

Hopesy Read Only Funster

Yes we use a cover, just to keep the muck off the bikes. Pain in the 'arris putting it on and they're quite expensive for what they are but if you leave it off on a filthy day the bikes are covered like they've been abused on a mountain bike race!:Smile:

4. chas

chas Read Only Funster

Save yourself a load of trouble and expense and dont bother I just use a supermarket bag over the saddle with strong elastic bands to hold it on, you need a dry clean saddle the rest can take care of itself. :Laughing:

5. Alfa_Scud

Alfa_Scud Read Only Funster

Yep we use a Fiamma cover, supposedly covers 3 bikes - I'd like to see that!

It seems to take an age to put on, catching on just about everything, handlebar grips, saddle, pedal, derailleur :Angry: etc.

I've even tried slackening the handles & turning them 90degrees so the cover's not as tight, but it's still as bad.

But for some bizarre reason, I persevere, must be some kind of masochist. :Eek!:

6. Sweet Chariot

Sweet Chariot Read Only Funster

Sold my Fiamma cover to a member on hear who did not even have the courtesy to acknowledge receipt following numerous pm's ( not a regular) :Angry: Anyway sold it for the same reasons as others need to be 7 foot tall to fit. If you have a pound shop close to you they sell single covers and they are great and easy to fit.
    Am now waiting with baited breath for somebody to ask me how much they are.:Wink:

7. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

AHA!, forget bike cover, DIY place, supermarket where ever, barbi cover:thumb:

Obviously make sure it's big enough but, we only cover when parked, remove for travel and the one Wifey picked up is a doddle, and less than a tenner to boot. It's the type designed for a big rectangular barbi with a simple draw string round the bottom and it takes seconds to fit/remove, well unless tupid here isn't paying attention and gets the draw string wrapped round something or other:Rofl1:

8. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Had a bike cover used it once :shout: easier to wash the bikes occasionally that mess with that thing. Watching someone trying to fit one is as entertaining as watching a tugger putting up an awning :Rofl1:

9. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

They sound great how much are they ???

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

10. Hopesy

Hopesy Read Only Funster

Got close to £1000 worth of bikes (with 3 locks) so any protection from weather and prying eyes is a good thing! :Wink:

11. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

yes cover mine with a fiamma 3 bike but it just covers two, and they are easy to fit with the handlebars turned and bike baskets on the back at least it keeps the rain off them and the road dirt when carrying them on the back and from prying eyes as a previous poster said, they are 2 electric bike sworth a lot so keep them away from prying eyes and temptation:thumb:

12. val-h

val-h Read Only Funster

We're new to all this sort of thing. Never thought of needing a cover for the push bikes. But considering that one of ours used to be insured for 2.5K and the mess the back of a van can get into, it can only be a good idea.

It just so happens that we have a surplus extra large motorcycle cover (Gold Wing size) so we'll give that a go. Seems we might need a small ladder too. :RollEyes:

Val.

13. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Aldi currently have motorcycle covers for around £7.....cover both with one cover. :thumb:

14. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

I find that taking outside pedal off the outside bike makes it a whole lot easier.:Rofl1:

Mike

15. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

luckily our pedals turn in as well, but find that the cover is very usefull in reply to the original post

16. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Thanks to all for replies. Cover I think has to be a proper one to fit around the fasteners on the rack. Knowing the probs we had last time I think we have decided to do without and just cover the seats. :BigGrin:

17. billkce

billkce Funster

We've got a Taylor Made double bike cover & its great. Its got a slit back so it is easy to fit. And once we've got the warning board strapped on it really is difficult to tamper with. Well worth it - about £40.

18. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Was just going to post and seen Billcke's post snap we have a Tailor Made cover had it 6 years got a big slit up back so not to difficult to put on less than 5 Min's. Saves a lot of dirt on bikes but also when parked on car parks or out and about in general the safety aspect is well worth the time to put it on.

19. jaygee

jaygee Funster

We bought a Fiamma 3 bike cover last year. Came with no instruction and a b****er to fit. Gave me a months worth of hilarity watching hubby putting it on & off during our travels in France. He was standing on chairs, swearing, cursing and in the end decided to fit it upside down and this worked a lot better!!!!
    We need a decent cover as the bikes are worth about 3K

20. GregM

GregM Read Only Funster

We use a tarpaline sheet strapped with some bungie straps. Cheap so if rips its no big deal.

We do just cover kids bikes which are not high value bikes and being kids bikes not the cleanest anyway but the tarpaline does the job.