Beware sudden gusts

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Road Burner, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Road Burner

Road Burner

We were camping out at the Norfolk Showground in late May this year. The weather was pretty good so we left our Fiamma pull out awning in the rolled out position.

Went off to watch and enjoy Country music and dancing in the Main hall and someone came and told us our Awning had gone!! A sudden gust of wind had taken it over the van roof.
    This despite strong struts and a rafter poll.
    Fortunately there was no damage to the van itself but some fittings on the awning had snapped. With some help from the friendly Country folk, we were able to wind the awning back into the housing and secure it witha couple of cable ties.

Lesson learned ( probably one of many) I will never use the pull out awning again without securing it with a tie down storm strap. Even if its bright sunshine outside.

2. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

Lesson learnt the hard way!

I've long had this theory that the wind will always get up at 4am so you have to crawl out of bed to wind it in and stop it flapping.

I now only leave it unwound while I'm sitting under it :Smile:

3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Wind it out, tie it down onto screw in dog tethers, one each end job done and peace of mind.

4. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

If its gusty i always wind mine in.

tie down or not.

awning style leave up but worry.

5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Within days of mentioning I was vaguely interested in getting a van, several friends told me never leave an awning out unless it is strapped down ..

And I never have and am glad I haven't too !!

Sad to hear of your mishap but at least no van damage and at least a good lesson picked up along the way :Smile:

6. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Always remember returning to a site after a morning out, to a scene of total devastation.

A very strong series of gusts of wind had totally destroyed at least 20 awnings, reducing them to modern sculptures. They were attached to motorhomes and caravans, and I remember that some had storm guys attached but did no good.

I know that I never use an awning but the sight of them would have put me off if I had.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

7. jezport

jezport Funster

I sell awning tie down straps which fit into the awning slot on the front of Fiamma and Omnistor awnings please PM me if you require any information.

8. weekenders

weekenders Funster Life Member

Ask Geo about gust of winds and wind out awnings!! he lost his at new year at Wrenbury, a sudden gust of wind just took it over the top. lots of cash:cry:

9. Terry

Terry Funster

Awnings :Rofl1: best to do what I did on last van :Smile:Fitted it :thumb: wound it out :thumb: looks pretty :thumb: wound it back in :thumb: flog van 6 months later never used it since fitting :Doh::Rofl1:
    terry

10. bazfergy

bazfergy Read Only Funster

I had the awning out with tie downs and a gust still broke it only use it if im under it now:thumb:

11. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

An awning is like a big sail and we all know that boats use sails for propulsion!

A gust of wind has an enormous amount of energy in it when it hits a flat object like an awning, when the wind gets underneath it there is only one way for it to go..................... UPWARDS.

So wind em in or suffer the consequences:cry:

Peter

12. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

About 3 or 4 years ago at the Lincoln Midsummer Fair, some of us had a bit of a scare and suffered some damage, when a freak wind gusted through the rally lines.
    Olley (whilst visiting the exhibitions at the time), lost his awning which damaged his RV roof lights. :Eek!:
    Geo & Pam who were sat with us, rushed off and almost managed to save their Fiamma awning, but it suffer a damaged leg.
    Poor Rita was hanging on to our large Omnistor for grim fear, as I tried to wind it in. It was almost lifting her off the ground, when a kindly chap came to her rescue and held it tight. I don't recall any of them being strapped down at the time. :Blush:

Whilst preoccupied with all that, my bl##dy hat blew away, never to be seen again. So, if any of you are on a rally or meet, and wearing a straw hat, I'll be looking at it verrrrrrrry closely. :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Cheers,

Jock.

13. Mandaxxx

Mandaxxx Read Only Funster

Our awning gets pegged down on each leg AND a strap with tensioner on it, but it still gets wound in at night or if wind is a bit much.

14. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi Yes been there with a storm in France, it hit us about 3 in the morning wind rain the lot there was that much water on the windout it was like a swimming pool so much so I could not walk under the bulge to push it off has you say never again. Pete :Angry::Angry::Angry: