scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
If price was no object what sat nav would everyone get.ie easy download poi- lifetime maps- camper size etc( have been looking at tomtom world 5200) ?????

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've used several sat navs and have some notes Here. The Garmin 760 LMT-D is my favourite at the moment.

I wouldn't buy TomTom again without first verifying that their marketing information was truthful. I made a mistake earlier this year in believing that they actually supported third party POI sets (I won't buy Snooper or Aguri either because of their lack of such support).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Which ever one you select don't believe it will always avoid "taking you down a narrow track" just because you input your vehicle dimensions.
They can only be as good as the maps they use.
They all are more effective if used in conjunction with a decent map or, if Garmin, in conjunction with Base camp.

Reactions: GJH

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
I've used several sat navs and have some notes Here. The Garmin 760 LMT-D is my favourite at the moment.

I wouldn't buy TomTom again without first verifying that their marketing information was truthful. I made a mistake earlier this year in believing that they actually supported third party POI sets (I won't buy Snooper or Aguri either because of their lack of such support).
had one of these but it would find two or three routes and the tell you it was not sure if they were suitable for motor homes? every one to there own;)

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
had one of these but it would find two or three routes and the tell you it was not sure if they were suitable for motor homes? every one to there own;)
Absolutely - as Roy's (@Khizzie's) experience v mine shows :)
I've not experienced the Garmin finding multiple routes, though I think Basecamp sometimes does. It may depend on settings.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
The Garmin 3598 and Drivelux offer two or three routs if you ask when planning, each in a different colour. It gives the drive times and distances for each and you select your preferred one. I don't know about other models but I suspect they may also do the same. It the two small arrows between "I" and "Go"

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Snooper is my choice + Map
But the driver has the last say.
I have never understood the drivers that get there vehicle fast and blame the sat nav.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The Garmin 3598 and Drivelux offer two or three routs if you ask when planning, each in a different colour. It gives the drive times and distances for each and you select your preferred one. I don't know about other models but I suspect they may also do the same. It the two small arrows between "I" and "Go"
Thanks. I've never noticed that on either the Camper 760 LMT-D or the Nuvi 2569.
I've just tried asking for route to Blackpool (as I know there are 3 which it chooses from depending on traffic conditions) on both devices and both presented a single route.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Thanks. I've never noticed that on either the Camper 760 LMT-D or the Nuvi 2569.
I've just tried asking for route to Blackpool (as I know there are 3 which it chooses from depending on traffic conditions) on both devices and both presented a single route.
I did mention this was on 3598 and Drivelux. However my suspicions that other model do it are obviously wrong. Perhaps it only applies to the top end models.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I did mention this was on 3598 and Drivelux. However my suspicions that other model do it are obviously wrong. Perhaps it only applies to the top end models.
Yes, I bet that is the case. I thought I'd check it on my two just to confirm.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Yes, I bet that is the case. I thought I'd check it on my two just to confirm.
Actually I think it's one of those things one never uses, if I set the device to give me the fastest rout I don't think I have ever taken an alternative one which was slower and looks a less straightforward one. Nice to see but probably software overkill. Might be of use on a very few occasions but that's about it.

I am still toying with the Tomtom 5200 because I am fed up with the poor linking of the Garmin blue tooth services. I might give the 5200 a try because although there are downsides I know it can take at least 96 favourite places and the traffic is on balance better than Garmin also I quite like the Tomtom routing app and web page for rout planning it is very fast and much easier than Garmin Base camp which is have never been comfortable with . I will report back if I do try it

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Actually I think it's one of those things one never uses, if I set the device to give me the fastest rout I don't think I have ever taken an alternative one which was slower and looks a less straightforward one. Nice to see but probably software overkill. Might be of use on a very few occasions but that's about it.

I am still toying with the Tomtom 5200 because I am fed up with the poor linking of the Garmin blue tooth services. I might give the 5200 a try because although there are downsides I know it can take at least 96 favourite places and the traffic is on balance better than Garmin also I quite like the Tomtom routing app and web page for rout planning it is very fast and much easier than Garmin Base camp which is have never been comfortable with . I will report back if I do try it
I've been put off TomTom by my experience this year. I bought a Trucker 5000 in March, to use alongside the Garmin, thinking (from the text and illustrations on the TomTom web site) that the lack of POI support had been overcome. That turned out not to be the case, and still isn't. You can load user POIs but only without icons so they can only be searched for, not seen on the map as conventionally. When I complained, TomTom swapped it for a Pro 5150 Truck (temporarily "which you can use until we find a solution") but I've had no end of trouble with their pathetic MyDrive Connect software.

I don't use Bluetooth with any sat navs but it's strange that you should mention the traffic system.
Last Saturday, on the way back from the NEC, there was an accident which closed a lane on the A19 a couple of miles from our house. The Garmin notified us of the accident when it was about 35 miles away. A radio traffic report came on at about the same time. The warning was repeated as we came closer to the location. TomTom, however, did not notify us of the incident at all. There have been a couple of other occasions recently which make me think that Garmin quietly upgraded their traffic system with the last map update.
TomTom Traffic (on the Pro Truck 5150 anyway) also relies on having a Vodafone signal. There have been a couple of occasions when we've been leaving a THS in a country location and it hasn't picked up a signal for some reason.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back