Best Product For Cleaning Roof

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Cliffy38, May 22, 2015.

1. Cliffy38

Cliffy38 Funster

I have just bought a 2 year old elddis 175. the dealer had obviously cleaned the sides but the roof is black, and probably not been cleaned in 2 years. what is the best product to clean the roof? also will the roof hold the weight if I got on and cleaned it that way. I started using MER, which is bringing the dirt off but hard work, just wondered if there is anything easier

2. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Tfr, traffic film remover but do no use on a sunny day or you get bad streaks

3. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Elbow grease....

Or, you could try Fenwicks Motorhome cleaner. Gets rid of green and black stuff, but, as above, don't do it on a sunny day.
    Then a good quality car shampoo with wax. I use Meguires Gold Class. Works well for me

4. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Just cleaned mine today I use a watered down salution of truck wash and cheap wash and wax from the poundshop .stepladder and hose
    (Make sure roof and sides are wet as it can streak ) got it in a garden spay bottle just a little then extended handle brush hose off and job done.
    There are more expensive cleaners like Mer ,but have used this method successfully for years :)

5. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

image.jpg Autosmart G101, but use as-instructed rinse well and use a good wax after(y)

6. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

I use Fenwicks (y)
    I open main heiki roof vent and with step ladder in van I get up and sit on edge of opening.Carolyn passes hose up to me and I have long handled brush.What I can't reach that way I use ladder against side of van,the front overhang is most difficult bit to polish.I use a thing called a Swiffer with a cloth soaked in Auto Glym.

7. trekkin

trekkin Read Only Funster

Biological washing liquid , good strong solution, nice soft brush, really good rinse of after and then a wash in a good car wash a wax, may take a few times but works a treat

Be very careful with traffic film remover, it works as it strips the top layer of paint off (acidic solution, used in a stronger solution to clean the brake disk dust of alloy wheels) if you are going to use it make sure you rinse it off well as it will ruin any graphics you have

8. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

I use autoglym shampoo and elbow grease with the brush!

9. Cliffy38

Cliffy38 Funster

Well I made the decision, get somebody else to do it:). The professional motorhome cleaner arrived and having used numerous potions and lotions had to get on the roof. In his words " the worst roof I have ever cleaned" looks like 2 years of tree sap and felt like sandpaper. Now a shiny white with a wax coating. worth every penny of £80 watching him spend 2.5 hours cleaning the whole thing. Just a wash off from now on, happy days

• Like Like x 3