Best option for sat nav on iPad (1 Viewer)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Not quite true lots of iPads have GPS Google maps has a good sat Nav when you put in somewhere to go it will give you instruction just like a sat nav,
The iPad air 2 with wifi does not have proper Gps, it has a system which triangulates your position via wifi and does not work with Tom Tom as I have found to my cost in Morocco, tom Tom does however work on my iPhone which does have gps and will also apparently work on the air 2 wifi and cellular and other iPads which HAVE GPS.

MikeOld

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
'Jenny and Mitch' - please could you find the exact make and model of GPS your friends has? My understanding is that, in true Apple fashion, the majority won't work without 'jailbreaking' the iPad and loading some Bluetooth software and those few that do have Apple's blessing and are pretty expensive - typically £75+.

OP
OP
Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
The iPad air 2 with wifi does not have proper Gps, it has a system which triangulates your position via wifi and does not work with Tom Tom as I have found to my cost in Morocco, tom Tom does however work on my iPhone which does have gps and will also apparently work on the air 2 wifi and cellular and other iPads which HAVE GPS.
How can you establish if you have proper GPS, I have the iPad 1 or 2 not sure which had it about 5/6 years
Thks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
How can you establish if you have proper GPS, I have the iPad 1 or 2 not sure which had it about 5/6 years
Thks
If it is that old I would ditch it and buy an Android tablet, the latest sat nav software is unlikely to run on it anyway.
ezee

JonMac46

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
Limerick, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2013
FYI:

PermalinkHistory

The iPad does not need cellular connection for GPS service. It's just that Apple chose not to include a GPS in the wifi only models.

The issue is the antenna needed for the GPS is also the cellular services antenna, which is why you need a Cellular/WiFi version. This is also true with other phones or tablets. Again, getting a Cellular/WiFi version of the iPad air doesn't force you to signup for a service plan in order to gain GPS.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back