Best drill bits?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Bailey58, May 10, 2014.

1. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

I've got a few more drilling jobs to do when we go out to the Faroes and wonder what other folk use for drill bits. I had to drill about 180 10ml holes in very hard steel posts for a new fence a couple of years ago and even with cutting oil went through HSS bits like anything, even progressing through the sizes of bit. Bought some very expensive ones locally but can't remember what they were, titanium, cobalt? I plan to take some with me so suggestions, and some free samples, would be welcome. :Laughing:

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  2. Allanm

Allanm Funster

None of the ones I have bought in the last 45 or so years! I'd be interested to know what people recommend too.
    Allan

3. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

fence posts and bed frames tend to work harden and HSS drill are no good unless you run them very slow with cutting oil. The titanium (Gold coloured), come in different qualities, from thick to thin plated, get the best and they will do the job. When selling at a show they always make a point of drilling through a file. So should do the job for you.
    However Cobalt are even better
    Cobalt Drill Bits

Fully ground, high performance cobalt steel drill bit, manufactured with 5% cobalt.

For use on alloy & hardened steel, cast iron and titanium.

http://www.ukdrills.com/product.php?catid=255

• Like Like x 1
  5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

dont forget speed is as important as quality.

A large bit at high speed will overheat and blunt in no time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

FYI theres no such thing as a drill bit in engineering. Carpentry maybe, but not engineering!
    It's simply a drill!!!

I agree that cobalt is the way to go, observing the correct cuttimg speed for the material being drilled of course!:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  7. wasp

wasp Funster

if you drilling 10mm holes I always use a pilot drill that usually helps :thumb:

8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

agreed, bit try that in a diy shed.

I'd like a 10mm drill please.....the first thing they'll try to sell you is a drill with a 10mm chuck. :Laughing:

We use a lot of hole cutters and watching the young guys using a 100mm wood saw at the fastest drill speed is a sight to behold....if you can see the cutter for smoke.

Their reckoning....its going fast so it must cut quicker :Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Geordies

Geordies Funster

Do you have to drill the posts in situ ?

If you can pre-drill them on a pillar drill you can then set a more accurate speed and pour the cutting oil on. That way the drills would last much longer. You could also re-sharpen them a few times on an angle grinder.

Basically weigh up the cost of buying a few top-notch ones against lots of poor quality ones.

10. Bailey58

The posts were an old job, just asking for future reference. :Smile:

11. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

The only thing you can do to make drills last is to never put them in a pistol drill :BigGrin:.

At that drill size you need no more than 500rpm but where a pistol drill falls down is the inability to maintain a constant pressure. As soon as the drill rotates without cutting the material under the bit is work-hardened making the next cutting rotation more difficult.

Hold the pistol drill so you're pushing directly in line with the chuck (use your little finger to operate the switch) and if possible enlist a helper to brace yourself against.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Only ever use cobalt these days but even then you do find different manufacturers are different qualities.

13. Tootles

Tootles Funster

I get through quite a few, and so I buy cheaply.....(not that cheap, but you know what I mean). We were in B&Q, and I saw a large type set for around £25.00. That was eight years ago, and even though I have re-sharpened them a few times, they are still giving good service. Like anything else, a 'good name' dosent mean a good product. The Bosch ones I bought were cr*p.
    Don't bother with the fancy stuff, just good looking high speed black drill bits. :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Gooney

Gooney Funster

I bought a boxed set of Bosch drills from B&Q, the bloody things bent when asserting pressure on them:Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tootles

Tootles Funster

That's what happened to mine!! They were in a grey BOSCH box, really dump! :Angry:

16. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

Any good quality hss drill will do the job you don't need titainium coated or cobolt. Run drill about 400 rpm max and use cutting oil.
    If possible drill a pilot hole 3 to 4 mm maximum, any bigger and the 10mm drill will dig in. :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  17. phil1946

phil1946 Funster

http://www.idealworld.tv/SearchGridView.aspx?fh_location=//idealworld/en_GB/$s=drill%20bits&gs=drill%20bits

I bought some of the above when they had them on offer at half price.

Not cheap but they have hex shaft and a ten year guarantee that I know they honour.

I bought something else (a grind/cutting disc pack of 2) from the same firm over 10 years ago with a lifetime guarantee and free replacement when worn out and got new ones for the cost of postage last year because they had worn down in size.

• Like Like x 1
  18. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

what a boring thread..

• Like Like x 2
  19. steviebouy

steviebouy Funster

I am currently using Dormer A100 drills. Got a set cheaply on eBay and am replacing individually as I ruin them. For some reason I used to be a demon sharpener when I was younger but have lost my touch. Eyesight maybe? You will find many different grades to suit different jobs. Check the Dormer website. Best I've used for years. Good advice about using a pistol drill, I always wondered why drills cut so much better in a pillar drill.
    Cheers, Steve

• Like Like x 1
  20. Bailey58

Ah threads.Thanks for reminding me Jim, I was gonna ask about screws next! :RollEyes: