Best dongle

Discussion in 'Computers' started by billy, Feb 14, 2009.

1. billy

billy Read Only Funster

Hi All

Can anyone tell me which dongles they consider the best.

How long does 3gb allowance last if just surfing the internet and sending emails.

Sorry a bit of a thicky in this field :Eeek::Eeek:.

2. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

The general feeling at present is that Vodaphone has the better coverage and you can buy a PAYG sim in Spain that works. The other MHF site has had a posting on the subject.

3. tofo

tofo Funster

4. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

I work all over the country and have used dongles on all the networks.
    The best performance, I've found, is on the 3 network. I have never been unable to connect on 3, whereas the Vodafone one I had previously would often be unusable.

I use it every day for several hours and never come close to the 3Gb limit (although I don't do much downloading.)
    I would definitely recommend 3 :thumb:

5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I have a "3", it's pretty hopeless in Scotland.

1G, I find I have to deliberately abuse with YouTube to use it up in a month.

Every character on this page is 1 byte, 1G = 1,000,000,000 bytes. So you would have to read 200,000,000 words to use it. That's about 500,000 full A4 pages.

It's pictures and videos that are the killer. Quality video is about 1G per hour.

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I use '3'network, and have used 3gb in two months.. and I don't download movies or music, it's too slow..
    so it all depends on how much you use it.. I'm on for about 16 hrs a day ..

Jan bought the 12month, 12gb deal at Curry's for £89 .

7. bald eagle

bald eagle Read Only Funster

Dongles are like mobile phones it all depends where you are,
    we are on the 3 network and we get about a bit the only
    place it played up was the west midlands

8. lunarman

lunarman Funster

Has anyone got any experience of the antennas that are available to boost the 3g signal in weak areas

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

had to use my 'T' mobile dongle on thursday as 'normal' broadband was down.

surfing, reading and posting threads on here, doing the quiz, checking emails, 5pm 'til gone midnight.....15mb

i think there are 3,000 mb to 3 gb which is my contract limit per month on 'T'

10. billy

billy Read Only Funster

Thanks everyone for your reply's:thumb:

11. Boo

Boo Read Only Funster

I just got a free dongle from T Mobile at £14.99pm with 3GB with unlimited download.................(T Mobile uses the same beacons as 3 so they have 98% coverage in the UK :)

Boo

12. Gonewiththewind

Gonewiththewind Read Only Funster

I have the "3" dongle, on contract @£10 per month. The shock came on return from the continent. No usage on my standard allowance but £30 for use on continent. Needless to say contract finishes in April, and I mean Finishes.
    I am hoping that it can be unlocked like a mobile phone.

13. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

Hiya, I have used a Vodaphone dongle for about a year now and have always managed to get a signal of some sort. When the signal is poor it works on 2G and shows a green light, a stronger signal shows blue for 3G and a light blue denotes 3G+ which is really quick. I have no experience of other networks so cannot make a comparison but as I said I have always managed a signal of some sort and I travel the entire length an breadth of Britain.

Hope this is of some help, Derek.:thumb:

14. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I use Vodaphone and have never had problems getting a signal. 3Gb a month very hard to use up

15. pogon

pogon Read Only Funster

I have a 3g dongle for £7.50 per mth with 5gb download. On special offer for 1 week. I havent used 5gb in 5 mths

16. Sweet Chariot

Sweet Chariot Read Only Funster

What would be the best to use in France.:Smile:

17. Reveuse

Reveuse Read Only Funster

Sweet Chariot, Don't raise your hopes too high for dongles in France, the 3g coverage isn't that good. I have got an sfr dongle which, interestingly, thinks it is a vodafone dongle according to the software when you load it up. It is supposed to work on sfr 3g and sfr Edge, in fact it barely works on Edge, it keeps dropping the connection and is next to useless. Even more than in the UK it depends where you are, you would need to check the orange/ sfr/ btel etc websites to see if there is any coverage where you will be, and even then I don't know how roaming works if you are using a UK dongle. If you are travelling expect it to be very hit and miss, and outside of big cities and major tourist spots mainly miss. But there are so many MacDo's with free wifi, why bother really, wait until 3g spreads a bit more. IMHO.

18. lugnutt

lugnutt Funster Life Member

hi ..we have just phoned 3g to ask for cost of useing it in France and Belgium they said it will cost £3.00 per megabit how big is a megabit ?how long will it last?. of coruse they said we could use it in France free when we were buying it!!!

19. Reveuse

Reveuse Read Only Funster

Hi Lugnutt, if you look at page 1 of this thread I think you will find the answer to your question. Quite big from the looks of it.

20. jean and robert

jean and robert Read Only Funster

We have a 3 dongle, as we cancelled our landline last November we rely on it 100%. We are supposed to be in a good area to recieve the 3 network but when we started it had only one bar on the strenth of signal and occasionally lost it. Because we are motohome forum addicts one dongle wasn't good enough so we decided to buy a 3 router. Apart from both been able to use internet at the same time it also has boostered our signal strenth. We were lucky to get the package where you got 5Gbts for £7.50, although we are tied in for eighteen month. With both of us using the internet for several hours a day we rarely use more than 2Gbts, although we never download videos. The site still occasionally goes down, it it usally at the time of a snow storm or heavy rain. Jean and Robert Bruce