Best and Worst Campsite

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Forestboy, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Reading some different threads today got me thinking which is the best and worst campsites we've stayed on in our 10 years travelling. Only thinking proper campsites not Aires or wildcamping spots.

Best is difficult because apart from the site listed as my worst we haven't stayed on any really bad sites just sites that are maybe not as good for numerous reason eg location, access, awkward staff, too many petty rules or weather could influence your impression etc etc.

Best Simuni Camping Island of Pag Croatia.
    Big commercial site not really our thing.
    However the pitch was perfect 20yds from the beach the weather was glorious we were relaxed felt very comfortable and stayed much longer than we normally do and actually regretted leaving.
    Best HoHum Mexico Beach Florida
    Had to include this one for the same reason, tiny little site but on every trip over 3 years touring USA this was our last stay before returning to our base in Tampa absolutely idyllic a little bit of paradise.

Worst Billing Aquadrome Northampton
    What a horrendous place wouldn't stay there again for a golden pig.
    Staff were rude and unhelpful the place was over run by gypos who were stealing any thing that wasn't fixed down and even things that were it was a bloody nightmare. Would rather sell the van and stop travelling than stay there.

Whats your ???

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

seconded.. never forget it, what a $hit site ..

Best is difficult as have stayed on so many good sites.. from 'all singing dancing' with heated pool to remote sites in Scotland and everything in-between..

Controversial... but have always enjoyed CC sites.. the CC site at North Ledaig (near Oban) is perfect.. http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/carava...n-sites-and-parks/SiteDetails.aspx?csid=21949

We stayed here with our RV and trailer and the site staff were very helpful and polite.. we hadn't booked and the site was near full, but they found a space.. fantastic location, situated on a 2 mile sand and shingle beach on Ardmucknish Bay

Bus service into Oban from the gate..

• Like Like x 2
  3. big map

big map Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Best UK - Newgale campsite, Pembrokeshire. Cheap basic field, no EHU, not over-regulated, excellent location for exploring the coastline by foot, car or bus, and only a pebble's throw from the beach.

Best French - current favourite is the municipal behind the ramparts at St Martin de Re. Two star cheap, clean straightforward facilities, convenient for everything if you don't mind a bit of cycling.

Worst - I can recall one in Normandy (name unknown) that was obviously UK club-franchised and virtually all Brits, overrun by packs of feral middle-class Brit brats abandoned each evening by their loud wine-swilling parents. I dislike all overpriced privet-hedged Brit abroad ghettoes - another one in Bidart springs readily to mind. Give me an aire full of garlic munching Johnny Foreigners any day of the week :)

• Like Like x 3
  5. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Bobby Shafto campsite at beamish ,horrible gravelly pitches on small hillside no room to manoeuvre....and kingfisher park. Lee on Solent ..tatty rundown dated and rude receptionist ...expensive both of them as well.that's the worst ...the best for me was c&cc at corfe Castle ,but there are so many great sites now available its difficult to pick the best . Roy

6. Zepp

Zepp Funster

Don't really have a best site but I agree about the

Worst Billing Aquadrome Northampton

7. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I think I might book a couple of weeks at Billing Aquadrome in the summer holidays.

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Forestboy

You won't survive 2 weeks you'll be sleeping in the mud after week 1 as they'll have nicked everything including your van by then.;)

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

What a challenge.

Worst probably Mugello Race Circuit. Why ? Well we arrived to an idyllic green paradise in the hills of Italy with this beautiful race track nestling in the valley. Then within 12 hours it because hades with noise the likes of which I cannot describe 20 hours a day. So from an ecstatic high terminal low in half a day, even worse than getting married.

The best ? I refuse to say because we have had so many great stops. Under torture all I could do is nominate two countries, Italy and Germany both of which have places that ensure we stay alive to visit again.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

We like C&CC Thetford Forest because it is well run and right next door to the UK's largest lowland pine forest - 47,000 acres. Another favourite is Woodlands Grove near Dartmouth in Devon. Another well equipped site and entrance to the theme park next door included in the special deal they have for adults.

I don't think we've ever stayed on a totally bad site but Applewood Caravan and Camping site next door to Banham Zoo is one we wouldn't visit again. Site itself is okay but facilities are tatty and worst of all, when we stayed there the wardens used to leave the site every morning, I assume to go to their other jobs, leaving unsupervised kids to run amok with parents oblivious.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  11. Poohbear

Poohbear Funster

What were you expecting, exactly, at a race track?

• Like Like x 2
  12. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Another vote for thetford forest c&cc.. perfect for the dug.

• Like Like x 1
  13. GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

We love The Croft at Hawkshead. Only small but great facilities and location is wonderful.

Worst ..... Callow Top in Ashbourne (althoughthis was pre-MH). Huge site, not enough showers (queued for nearly an hour) and loads of kids running riot past midnight.

14. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

sounds just like a Funster meet ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. Forestboy

@hilldweller is right I was there and left at 4am on the first night and went to a local campsite. It was a scene from hell and I've been going to race meetings for 30 years but never one as bad as that.:eek:
    Doesn't count though as its not really a campsite.;)(y)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yorick

Yorick Funster

You can't have drunk enough coz I've slept through WW3 at Donington a few times :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

Worst one, a campsite south west of Rouen near Louvien. The site was decrepit, the men's toilets were squats, hoards of insects piled out of the rusty bent-over electricity point when I tried to connect (gave up for safety reasons), the grass was too long and a railway ran along the edge of the site. The hostile camp owner knocked us up at silly o'clock to insist we paid there and then - we were still abed and in our night attire. She had knocked multiple times on each door and window, while we were still asleep.

Not the best but top favourite is the municipal in Saint-Antonin-Noble Val, or the one in Monteaux.

18. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

OK !!

But not strange people walking amongst the MHs all night with chainsaws ( less chain and silencer ) revving them up. This was weird way beyond my imagination.

We have experienced the "jousting" of engines without silencer all over the camping before.

In Le Mans we had cretins with fridge sized speakers who ran them at full volume from 16:00 to 07:00, they were so far out of their minds, stood there about 07:00, trousers down, gushing piss like a fire hose. And then packed up and left just before the racing started. Go figure that !

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Yorick

Yorick Funster

At Donington they used to bring engines fixed to wooden frames and pallets. Then run on full throttle till they blew. No silencers. Was fun LOL

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Forestboy

Unless you've been to Mugello you can't comprehend it its notorius.

• Like Like x 2