Belgium was disappointing - must plan better next time! (1 Viewer)

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Yes definitely , I play it safe with Duval or Jupiler not really into the strong stuff 7-8% is ok for mešŸ¤¤šŸ¤¤

Other than the usual city visits to Bruge, Ghent etc and the battlefields around Ypres, weā€™ve to the Classic road races at Chimay a couple of times and they have a nice selection of Trappist beers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Belgium is a great place apart from weather similar to the UK.
Use to be very poor for Aires but about 10 years ago they passed a law making councils provide parking for motorhomes. But a lot of then are only 3 or 4 van Aries.
Its well worth the effort.
Belgium has warmer weather than the UK, from my perspective.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Well if all else fails, there is always Park4Nite :giggle:
LES

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
We haven't done the Bruges Ghent visits yet,, so can't comment, but we have done the Ardennes and Bastogne (Nuts City) which is just in Belgium. The WW2 Battle of the Bulge bits were very interesting, and the cycle path betwee Bastogne (Belgium) anď Wiltz (Luxembourg) was really good.
We stayed in a hol home by the coast many years ago and were not impressed with this side of Belgium. So conclude that it depends of which bit of Belgium you choose to visit in your (meticulous ) planning.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We love Belgium, the beer Bruges and the film.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
We used to call Belgium Boring Belgium and drove straight through it.

Then we met a funster (can't remember his name) from Sheffield who was married to a Belgium lady and lived out there. Gave us a few recommendations and we actually bothered to stop there at other places other than Ypres and Brugge. It's actually an amazing place, does require a bit of a plan but some of it is stunning.
If you like a bit of 1st and 2nd world war history its amazing.

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
We went before we had the van so stayed in a hotel but thatā€™s the archšŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬ watched a coach trying to go throughšŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬
My vans 2.3 wide so a bit of room but wouldn't want to try it with a coach and there's a bus stop just before you go through the arch:rolleyes:

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
we actually detoured through Dinant as the road sign picture looked really good. it was a nice town and i would have been quite happy to drive along the river, but bad planning meant we didnt have a clue where we were etc. we also drove past a space centre at one stage, which also looked interesting. I am sure that Belgium has a lot more to offer than then WW1/WW11 sites, it just takes more planning than we put in, especially if we're only looking for free aires .....

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I remember Rhod Gilbert doing a sketch a while back about how, if you had enough money, you could hire the whole of Luxembourg by the day, the only disadvantage was it came with a chemical toilet, Belgium !
We've stayed on the aire at Dinant and found the place interesting, but a little run down ? Had a few days at one of the bigger sites at Westende which was mostly statics, but had some nice long sandy beaches and learnt a lot about what happened there to make it the front line for most of WW1.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
We've stayed on the aire at Dinant and found the place interesting, but a little run down ? Had a few days at one of the bigger sites at Westende which was mostly statics, but had some nice long sandy beaches and learnt a lot about what happened there to make it the front line for most of WW1.

I found the story of HMS Vindictive really interesting, a bit of a suicide mission in my eyes!! I knew about it as I had looked it up on the internet, but I happened to ask an older couple if they knew where it was. The man's eyes lit up and he told me all about it for ten minutes or so, he seemed really pleased to tell the story. He said that most people living in Ostend don't know anything about it or care for the history of the local area, which he said was sad.
It was nice to see the wreath of poppies aswell as meeting someone local who just wanted to keep history alive.

IMG_20221001_135706_520.jpg
IMG_20221001_135653_016.jpg

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
If you take your motorbike with you and like the twisties then Bouillon is a great area and a nice town to visit.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
p4n - plenty of places but the reviews on most of them weren't encouraging and we were travelling a particular route and only looking along that route and trying to avoid paying for facilities we wouldnt use (as on campsites)

i am sure that with a bit more planning we could have sorted suitable park ups (that we felt comfortable in) - which is why the thread has the caption 'must plan better next time' and hopefully we can look a lot closer at some previous recommendations from forum members.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back